Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldcrest

Options
  • 17-10-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I had a Goldcrest visit the garden yesturday evening and today, beautiful little bird I hope he/she is a regular sight in my garden. Could this bird just be a winter visitor or do they stick around all year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

They are in Ireland all year around. Associated with coniferous trees. Like all tiny birds they have to eat a tremendous amount of food in proportion to their body weight to stay alive so are always on the move. They are the smallest bird in Europe. Smaller than wren, same size as firecrest (occassionally seen in Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are they a regular garden bird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not really unless you live next to a forestry plantation as they do prefer conifers for foraging in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Not really unless you live next to a forestry plantation as they do prefer conifers for foraging in.
    I occasionally get the odd goldcrest in my garden. There quite fond of having a dip in the pond:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Am in Limerick and I get regular goldcrest every winter. I do have conifers very close to the house, so no real shock to have them as regulars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I spotted one in my ash and hawthorn hedge last year. No conifers particularly close by. It was a female -isn't her head yellow/gold, rather than the male's orange ?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

If I remember correctly male crest can also look yellow/gold. If a bit disshelved you can see the orange. Saw this up close when a ringer was processing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So the books say but I have them regularly and unless you could a few pine trees in the garden there are neither conifers nor froestry for many miles. I know of some other gardens with regular Goldcrest visitors and not a conifer in sight. Isn't Nature wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

How orange does the male Goldcrest's crest get? I came across a pair today, one normal yellow looking, but the other was very orange.

I had been thinking Firecrest, until I got home and saw their distribution. :(

7S5D9435.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

whyulittle wrote: »
    How orange does the male Goldcrest's crest get? I came across a pair today, one normal yellow looking, but the other was very orange.

I had been thinking Firecrest, until I got home and saw their distribution. :(

The bird in the pic is a Goldcrest. The crown colour can be quite variable. With Firecrest, I find it is usually the white stripe above the eye which gets my attention, whereas Goldcrest always has a relatively plain "face". The calls are also slightly, but noticeably different.

Only about 100 pairs of Firecrest breed in southern Britain (expanding I think), but it is relatively common in the right habitat in Continental Europe. In Ireland, it is a scarce passage migrant mainly from September to December. There are a few spring records, but I haven't heard of any birds breeding in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement