Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-10-2010, 20:30   #1
CFC4lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 117
Primary School Teaching

What is the aveage points needed to be a primary school teacher and what course would be the best to take??
CFC4lyfe is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2010, 00:12   #2
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
What is the aveage points needed to be a primary school teacher and what course would be the best to take??
Average points are around 480.

Geographical reasons will probably dictate which college to go to, those being:
-Mary Immaculate college, Limerick
-St. Pat's Drumcondra, Dublin
-Froebel, Dublin (to relocate to Maynooth)
-Marino, Dublin
-Church of Ireland College, Dublin

There are differences between the courses in each college, the main one being that in Mary I and St. Pat's you do an academic (arts) subject alongside education, which you don't do in the other colleges.

Mary Immaculate college also offers a B.Ed in Education and Psychology which allows you to pursue either teaching or psychology (or both) after the degree. Points for this course were 540 last year.

There are also postgraduate entries to teaching, after having completed another degree.
dambarude is offline  
17-10-2010, 14:00   #3
**Timbuk2**
Moderator
 
**Timbuk2**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,233
Is there any disadvantage to one going through the postgraduate route? My brother didn't make the points for any of the B.Eds and instead he is doing the BA in St. Pats Drumcondra, and hopes to get into the Postgrad in St. Pats also. Will employers look upon this less favourably?
**Timbuk2** is offline  
17-10-2010, 14:07   #4
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Timbuk2** View Post
Is there any disadvantage to one going through the postgraduate route? My brother didn't make the points for any of the B.Eds and instead he is doing the BA in St. Pats Drumcondra, and hopes to get into the Postgrad in St. Pats also. Will employers look upon this less favourably?
This could open a huge can of worms, because there are vested interests in both sides saying that their own form of entry is best, but no I don't think it should make any difference. Certain people perceive certain courses to be of lesser value and other ones to be of more value, but those people tend cancel each other out.

Be aware that entry into any postgrad is very tough, and that there have been murmurings the last two years that the postgrads in the public colleges could be cut altogether.

Last edited by dambarude; 17-10-2010 at 15:34. Reason: Their instead of there :eek:
dambarude is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2010, 16:26   #5
CFC4lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 117
Thanks for the help.Seems a bit out of reach.Any course offering lower points???
CFC4lyfe is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2010, 16:31   #6
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
Thanks for the help.Seems a bit out of reach.Any course offering lower points???
No undergraduate course, no. As Timbuk2 described another way to get into teaching is to do a different undergraduate course (e.g. business, arts etc.) and then apply for an 18 month postgrad in primary teaching. You aren't guaranteed entry to the course though- competition is very stiff. You'll also still need to have a C3 in higher level Irish.
dambarude is offline  
17-10-2010, 16:32   #7
CFC4lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 117
Getting a HC3 is the least of my worries because Im fluent in Irish.

If I were to get a BA then do the postgrad would I most likely be stuck with Junior Infants
CFC4lyfe is offline  
17-10-2010, 16:44   #8
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
If I were to get a BA then do the postgrad would I most likely be stuck with Junior Infants
Why on earth do you think that would happen? Infants are probably the most challenging class to teach in the primary school, and require much more specific teaching knowledge than more senior classes.

The postgrad qualifies you to teach all classes in the same way that a B.Ed does. Doing a postgrad doesn't mean that you're considered a lesser teacher who should be kept away from 5th and 6th class!
dambarude is offline  
17-10-2010, 16:54   #9
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
Getting a HC3 is the least of my worries because Im fluent in Irish.
You're not from the Gaeltacht by any chance? If you are you can get into the B.Ed on reduced points (around 420 I think).
dambarude is offline  
Advertisement
17-10-2010, 17:01   #10
TreyC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kildare
Posts: 2
Getting stuck with Junior Infants?!

Being a teacher in a 9-teacher school myself I can tell you that doing a postgrad does not mean you are any less qualified than someone with a B.Ed. The only teachers with a B.Ed in my school are myself and the principal, everyone else has either a postgrad or a Hibernia qualification and all of them are excellent teachers. As for getting ´stuck´with Junior Infants, I have taught Junior Infants for the past 3 years and there is no better class to teach if you want to learn about crowd control and discipline, both of these are invaluable in teaching in general!! Most challenging class but the most rewarding too!
TreyC is offline  
Thanks from:
17-10-2010, 17:01   #11
CFC4lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 117
Yeah I live in the Gaeltacht...

And thanks for the info.I enjoyed 5th class alot and would like to teach the class.What would the subjects in Arts be more suitable for the postgrad??English, Irish ??
CFC4lyfe is offline  
17-10-2010, 17:10   #12
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyC View Post
Being a teacher in a 9-teacher school myself I can tell you that doing a postgrad does not mean you are any less qualified than someone with a B.Ed. The only teachers with a B.Ed in my school are myself and the principal, everyone else has either a postgrad or a Hibernia qualification and all of them are excellent teachers. As for getting ´stuck´with Junior Infants, I have taught Junior Infants for the past 3 years and there is no better class to teach if you want to learn about crowd control and discipline, both of these are invaluable in teaching in general!! Most challenging class but the most rewarding too!
Exactly. I have only have TP experience of infants (yet!) but everything you've said is so true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
Yeah I live in the Gaeltacht...
You should be eligible for Gaeltacht entry so. According to the DES the requirements are :
Quote:
Up to ten per cent of the places in the Colleges of Education may be reserved for applicants from the Gaeltacht, i.e. applicants who reside in the officially designated Gaeltacht and the normal language of whose home is Irish.
You'll have to look up the specific details, but if you qualify the points were 435 in Mary I last year for Gaeltacht entrants. That's considerably less than the non-Gaeltacht applicant course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
And thanks for the info.I enjoyed 5th class alot and would like to teach the class.What would the subjects in Arts be more suitable for the postgrad??English, Irish ??
Re teaching 5th class- that's a very specific request. Newly qualified teachers are willing to teach ANY class now if it means they'll get a job. Employment situation doesn't seem to be good.

You should definitely do Gaeilge in Arts if you go that route, because your ability in the language is a definite advantage, and it's very beneficial for primary teaching. After that I don't think there's any specific Arts subject that would be more useful as long as it's in the primary curriculum or applicable to it. Maybe English/Maths/Geography/History/Religion-Theology etc. Information technology would also be very useful.

Last edited by dambarude; 17-10-2010 at 17:13.
dambarude is offline  
17-10-2010, 17:16   #13
CFC4lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 117
Thanks for the info.

I'm not trying to be "picky" just saying what class I would enjoy teaching more.Obv. I would take any job as anyone would....

435 a bit steep aswell.....

Thanks again for the info.Very helpful!
CFC4lyfe is offline  
17-10-2010, 17:32   #14
dambarude
Moderator
 
dambarude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC4lyfe View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm not trying to be "picky" just saying what class I would enjoy teaching more.Obv. I would take any job as anyone would....

435 a bit steep aswell.....

Thanks again for the info.Very helpful!
I know you're not being picky, I'm just saying you shouldn't expect to be able to walk straight into 5th class on the 1st of September after finishing your degree!

There are ways and means of getting into professions that you want, the best of luck with it.
dambarude is offline  
18-10-2010, 06:37   #15
spurious
Category Moderator
 
spurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 14,288
Please don't think you'll walk into any teaching job when qualified. Be prepared for up to a number of years waiting by the phone grabbing a day's work here and there.
spurious is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet