Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Santa for Pets?

Options
  • 16-10-2010 6:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a Secret Santa type thing for our pets (pending approval from mods of course ;)) I would be quite happy to organise it or if one of the mods would oblige or appoint someone if that is preferred. Basically you'd post your pets details, your name and address in a PM. Names would be drawn from a hat and you'd get a PM back with the details of who your secret santa is and have a set amount (eg €10) to spend on them. There would be a date by which everyone would have to have their names in and a date for posting the packages, say the first week in December, so it can be followed up if people don't recieve theirs. People with more than 1 pet could either specify which pet, request their package be suitable for all their pets or put their name in more than once (i.e. if they have 2 pets they will have 2 secret santas to send packages to so they are getting one for every one they send out). I've seen this done before on a forum for horses and it worked great. Of course it depends on good faith from all posters though! If I was to organise it I'd either have to either disqualify myself from it or know who my package was comming from :rolleyes:.

Would this be allowed?? Mods?? Please :D!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

That sounds like a bit of a laugh, I'd be in for it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

Sounds cool, I'm in:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Aw, I would love to take part in this! So would Roxie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cute idea, but I'm going to sound scabby but would a fiver be better rather than a tenner with things being tight. For a fiver though there are plenty of dog toys and treats that can be gotten for that price.
    If an individual wants to spend more than that can be up to themselves as long as no one felt under pressure to have to spend more than a fiver perhaps.

I'd be up for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I just thought if it was limited to €5 people might not think it worthwhile and €10 really isn't much and there would be a bigger choice of what you could get for a tenner bearing in mind that not all pets are cats and dogs. Open to all suggestions though. The one rule would have to be no food items or treats as an increasing no. of pets these days have food allergies and most people would be quite fussy as to what they allow their pets to eat anyway. It's mainly for the fun of it, boards usernames wouldn't be disclosed so you could do a bit of detective work to try and figure out who your package is for. We would have a date for opening packages as well say 22nd December as most people I'm sure have better things to do over christmas than post on here. We could all post when the packages arrive and what we got when we open them etc. The emphasis would be on the giving as well and not the recieving ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I think that's a really great idea! Well done to you! I'm in for sure and so are Millie and Max!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah ye can count me in. Im sure Beanie would love to get a xmas pressie in the post from a fellow Boardsie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

haha sounds good, I don't post here much but want to change that. Lucy (my border collie) would love to partake! Will follow this thread.

Hope the Mods allow this. It would be so cute posting the photos of our pets with their xmas pressies then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

anniehoo wrote: »
    Hope the Mods allow this. It would be so cute posting the photos of our pets with their xmas pressies then.

Still waiting for mod input to this thread, will let it gather interest for another few days then PM someone about it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Til & Oz are very excited about this ;)

andrenalinjunkie im not sure why we need the mods to approve this now that i think of it. Sure if people are happy to PM you their addresses then its up to them and know exactly what theyre getting into! We're not posting any private info on here so dont see why itd be a problem.

When I started this I wasn't too sure of the rules on something like this, (and still not). Mainly wanted to see what interest there would be in it and would like to notify mods at least if enough interest in it (which there seems to be ;)) and to avoid possible problems down the line. Would hate to see it starting off and then people being disappointed or un-necessarily sending their personal details to me if down the line mods decided it is inappropriate. And as it's basically being done through Boards to at least ask permission from someone with the authority to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

I think its a brilliant idea! Good on ya for thinking of it and taking it on.

Would love to do this! Count me and Finn in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I think it is a brilliant idea! count us in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I think it's a great idea...Count us in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Count me in, I think it's a great idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Very sweet idea,count me in too!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Count Brodi in

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im replying to Adrenaline junkies pm.

Cant see anything wrong with the thread.If someone wants to organise it feel free to do so.

Id personally prefer if it was kept to pm`s and maybe a mod should be copied in all the pms that are exchanged.

Im more worried about peoples personal details being out in the open so to speak but I cant see anyway around it.

Can we wait and see what the other mods think before going ahead with this?

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im replying to Adrenaline junkies pm.

Cant see anything wrong with the thread.If someone wants to organise it feel free to do so.

Id personally prefer if it was kept to pm`s and maybe a mod should be copied in all the pms that are exchanged.

Im more worried about peoples personal details being out in the open so to speak but I cant see anyway around it.

Can we wait and see what the other mods think before going ahead with this?

Thanks for your reply :). Yes all personal info would be sent to me personally in PM's. I would have no problem at all forwarding them all on to a moderator, posters would only be given the name and address that they would be sending their package to (again by PM) and few details on the pet it was for eg, breed, male or female etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't see a problem with it. If people are happy to send their personal details onto AJ and happy for him to send those details onto one other person, then that's up to them.

That sounds negative, that's not how I mean it. I would be happy to give my personal details to AJ.

seamus wrote: »
    Don't see a problem with it. If people are happy to send their personal details onto AJ and happy for him her ;) to send those details onto one other person, then that's up to them.

That sounds negative, that's not how I mean it. I would be happy to give my personal details to AJ.

All information would of course be in the strictest of confidence and would be forwarded only to a moderator, used for no other purpose and be deleted as soon as I no longer needed it. Thanks Seamus :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

All information would of course be in the strictest of confidence and would be forwarded only to a moderator, used for no other purpose and be deleted as soon as I no longer needed it. Thanks Seamus :)

Fire away so.As long as all personal info is deleted after its used.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Fire away so.As long as all personal info is deleted after its used.

I'll let October get itself out of the way first then so, then post dates and stuff to get organised in early November :D

Back to this again!

I have given this a lot of thought over the last few days given some issues that have come to light, and considered the fact that it may not be such a great idea after all. However I think it would be a shame not to go ahead with it and would be a great way of bringing us all together and enforcing the Christmas spirit and all that jazz. I have therefore come up with a few tweaks.

First of all I think mods will have to retain the right to disclude any poster from this without giving any reason to that poster, to me or anyone else.

Secondly all participants will recieve their packages either at their home address or a C/O (care of) address if they prefer. Please make sure you will definately recieve your package at the address you give though! I would just ask that you let me know at the time if you will be using a C/O address so I can keep track (particularly when I'm checking if everyone has recieved theirs).

Assuming that it is still OK to go ahead with this I will post the 'Official Secret Santa' thread tomorrow with full instructions on how it will work etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

I dont see any reason for this not to go ahead and am still happy to be part of it.

After all, if people aren't happy with how its being done then they don't have to participate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Great Idea. :D

You could have it posted to your pet!

I can imagine the postmans face with an envelope addressed

Harley the dog,
    Whispereds House
    Co. Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

This is a fantasic idea!! I haven't posted on her at all really but our cat just passed away and I'm hoping to get one either from a fellow boardsie I'm in contact with or some of the shelters ive called. So can I join in and give my wee monsters name later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Please do go ahead with this! I think it's really novel and a little ray of light in these dreary times. We all need some fun in our lives and well done to you for taking on something that will bring a smile to many human, canine and feline faces:)
    I am still all up for it. I have two precious dogs, Millie and Max, and my daughter also wishes to be involved with Stig and Chloe. So that's four excited wagging tails who might give the postman the first welcome he has ever received from them:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement