Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livingo or Altenmarkt Zauchensee

Options
  • 12-10-2010 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Basically what the title says, whats the good and bad points of both.

These are our two best options so need to make a choice by friday as to which one.

Whis is a cheaper resort to eat out in etc.

for us to go to livingo is working out at up to €100 cheaper!

Thanks in advance

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Timmy_shreds

Livingno is much cheaper to eat out.
    Although good skiing in both places. Zauchensee has numerous nearby small resorts all on the same pass. Herman Mayer's home resort of Flachauwinkl has very nice on mountain restraunts.

Zauchensee is quieter and more family orientated. Small town feel. Great beer and schintzl

Livigno has plenty of restraunts and bars. The town is on the valley floor with lift access to ski areas on both sides of the valley. Tax free town. That is why is so cheap. Booze is 6euro for a litre of good vodka. 10euro for Jager. 3euro pints. Proper italian food and complementary lemonchello with desert is a nice touch in most eateries.

Both resorts involve taking a bus to the lifts.
    Livigno had an excellent snow year last season as far as I heard.
    Zauchensee has extensive snow making so its not a problem.

Only a few tiny supermarkets in Livigno that are hard to find and many places don't have a kitchen. So plan to be eating out every night. Though it is incredibly cheap.

Airport transfer
    Livigno : 3hrs
    Zauchensee : 2hrs ish

Enjoy which ever you choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

Thanks Timmy_shreds.....Livingo here we come!!! :)

sooooooo excited now!!! :)

now to break it to everyone that were not going to austria, but hey Livingo is cheaper!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Just to add... From my experience of Livigno, I would agree with most of the previous poster, except that I found the transfer and flight times to be a pain. Flights were with Aerlingus last year - out at 05:20 from dublin and back at 9am fro Milan - but because of the 5 hour transfer - that means a 2am start from livigno :o

But the highlight in january for us is that the weather was fantastic - with nice fresh snow particularly towards the end of the week. Food was excellent too. But I wouldn't go again because of the flights/transfers unless there was a crowd going. There are easier resorts to get to with better skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Livingno is much cheaper to eat out.
    Although good skiing in both places. Zauchensee has numerous nearby small resorts all on the same pass. Herman Mayer's home resort of Flachauwinkl has very nice on mountain restraunts.

Zauchensee is quieter and more family orientated. Small town feel. Great beer and schintzl

Livigno has plenty of restraunts and bars. The town is on the valley floor with lift access to ski areas on both sides of the valley. Tax free town. That is why is so cheap. Booze is 6euro for a litre of good vodka. 10euro for Jager. 3euro pints. Proper italian food and complementary lemonchello with desert is a nice touch in most eateries.

Both resorts involve taking a bus to the lifts.
    Livigno had an excellent snow year last season as far as I heard.
    Zauchensee has extensive snow making so its not a problem.

Only a few tiny supermarkets in Livigno that are hard to find and many places don't have a kitchen. So plan to be eating out every night. Though it is incredibly cheap.

Airport transfer
    Livigno : 3hrs
    Zauchensee : 2hrs ish

Enjoy which ever you choose

Livigno 3hrs??
    From whcih airport?
    Havent been and was looking at Livigno but was put off by horror stories of 5/6 hour transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Timmy_shreds

davmol wrote: »
    Livigno 3hrs??
    From whcih airport?
    Havent been and was looking at Livigno but was put off by horror stories of 5/6 hour transfers

Milan airport. The horror stories are possibly transfers from other airports much further away. South in Italy or even France, Switzerland, or Austria

The mountain passes into Livigno can accumulate alot of snow during storms. Buses need to stop to fit chains if the snow is bad. This can add to horror stories but its all part of life driving in the mountains.

I have driven there from Morzine, France under terrible conditions and it took ten hours. Driving across mid european routes often take a long time.
    Much of the Alps just don't allow you to drive straight through. You have to drive far north then south across Switzerland. The passes around St Moritz are pretty hectic but beautiful. St.Moritz is less than 25km to Livigno as the crow flies but an extra 4hrs in mountain passes and chain fitting.

When you get off the grid of the common holiday resorts and go to the resorts the Euros ski you have to do a fair bit of driving. Lots of amazing places out there to be had. Cable car accessed open mountain skiing in Switz. and Austria. Not many people and fresh tracks to be had

• Advertisement
Advertisement