Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Combo units can do watch one record another?

Options
  • 09-10-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Simple question, which of the current batch of Combo DVB-T/ DVB-S units can allow you to watch from one tuner while watching from?

I'm aware the Ferguson Ariva does, I've heard it 'may' be coming to the Edison but what other options are there in a similar price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

The Triax ST-HD527CI can, but strangely it won't let you view recorded files while recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Technomate HD 6900 - and 6900 plus range, HD8000 Combo and the HD7100 which has the triple tuner.

Clarketech HD 5000C - and 5100c plus and 6600

A lot of them can, but the underground firmware writers (many of whom probably wrote the original) are takling it out unnecesarily when adding to the firmware which really is a nuisance. I have seen it drop in and out in unofficial firmware for the ctechs and the technomates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Apogee

Receiver: Dreambox DM8000
    Tuners: 2x DVB-S2 + optional DVB-T (x2) plugin
    7-day EPG for satellite: Yes
    Record from satellite while watching terrestrial: Yes
    Hardrive: Internal
    Price: €1000

Receiver: AzBox Premium Plus
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T
    Price: €449

Receiver: QBox HD
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T + optional plugin DVB-S2
    Hardrive: External
    Price: €449

Receiver: Vu+ Duo
    Tuners: 2x DVB-S2 + optional USB DVB-T (under development)
    Price: €499

Receiver: Technomate TM-7100HD
    Tuners: 2x DVB-S2 + 1x DVB-T
    7-day EPG for satellite: No
    Price: €500

Receiver: Dreambox DM800
    Tuners: 1x DVB-S2 + optional USB DVB-T
    Record from satellite while watching terrestrial: Yes???
    Price: €399

Receiver: Optibox Alligator
    Price: €199

Receiver: Edision Argus mini 2 in 1
    Record from satellite while watching terrestrial: No
    Price: €169

Receiver: Edision Argus VIP2
    Price: €199

Receiver: Technomate TM-6900HD Combo Super+
    Price: €300

Receiver: Ferguson HD Ariva Combo Box
    Price: €169

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Regarding the Technomate 6900 HD Super Combo +:

1) Record one or two sat channels from the same transponder, watch another channel on the same transponder or watch a dtt channel.
    2) Record one sat channel, record one dtt channel, watch another channel (either dtt or on same transponder)
    3) Record one or two dtt channels, watch another dtt channel or any sat channel

Note: If recording two channels and wanting to watch a recording, the box will stutter ...

The 7100, if feed two separate sat feed, will give ya a bit more flexibility in terms of which sat channels to record / watch.

The Argus Mini is currently not capable of recording more than one channel. Only allows you to record one sat and watch another sat on same transponder. Same for DTT. You cannot record a sat and watch a dtt from the box. You cannot record and watch a recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Thanks for the help guys but I am looking for a new receiver for my folks (they have Freeview and FTA sat) so a box like this would mean they could have a decent record one, watch another selection.

So, price and ease of use is very important, looking like the Ferguson is out ahead at the moment, Tony from Satellite.ie still the cheapest place to get one?

• Advertisement

I got a great deal on one from freesat.ie (I went into the shop in Fairview), satsklep have them for a few euros less than list if you're willing to wait a week or more for delivery...

Something to be aware of with the Ferguson is that the font used in the EPG & info view is very small, and might be annoying for your folks. Also, unless the TV to be used has either HDMI or maybe component input, the OSD is a bit smudgy over SCART.
    The main worry I have with it for the future is if RTE start using HE-AAC for audio - I don't believe any of the combos can handle this, with the possible exception of the Triax: see http://www.digi-shop.ee/PublishedService?file=page&pageID=9&itemcode=STHD527 for some specs

DasTV http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/Triax_STHD527_Combined_HD_Freesat__SD_Freeview_Receiver_2248.php
    have it for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

alos specify to the shop that you want to watch one while recording another. If you dont have an LNB with 2 signals coming out of it you will be restricted in the 2nd channel you can watch.

I have a VU+duo which has 2 tuners but because I only have a single output LNB, I can only watch certain 2nd channels when recording (only channels of same polarisation, I think)

Advertisement