Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i soundproof/insulate a noisy water pump?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I have a noisy Grundfos MQ3/35 water pump, have called the dealer and they are water cooled, so its safe for me to insulate...but how? I dont know the first thing about soundproofing/insulation - dont even know the correct term...basically i want to reduce the noise of the pump!!!
    Cheers if anyone can help
    Caroline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Those pumps are supposed to be very low noise, so if it's noisy enough to be an irritation the first question is how long have you had it? If it's getting on in years there could be a bearing problem or something wrong with the flow of water through it causing cavitation.

The next question is what is it fixed to at the moment? If it's on a wooden rafter or similar then the sound of the pump could be transmitted over some distance. One solution is to mount it on a concrete building block as that would be heavy enough to dampen the vibrations and reduce the noise.

You could also make a box to cover it out of something dense like thick chipboard, but make a removable hatch in the top of it to give access to the pump control panel.

It's also possible that the noise is being transmitted by its pipework, and if so it might be possible to fit a flexible pipe length on the pump outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tullyhumphrey

I just had one of those pumps installed in my new house and the noise/ vibration was wrecking my head. I got in contact with a friend of mine who is a plumber in cork and he advised me that trying to insulate/ soundproof it wont work. (He has tried on many occasions - it might help reduce it a bit). He told me that i should have installed an aqua tank which is basically a submersible pump inside the water tank and comes as a sealed unit. There is little or no noise from it. They are the same price as the seperate pump/ tank units but are ideal if the tank/ pump are to be installed inside in the house. He has installed a number of them with great success.
    My problem was that the tank is now in the attic and the smallest sealed aqua tank would not fit up through the hatch. The company in cork has agreed to send up the pump and instructions on how to make it work with my existing tank. (they usually dont do this unless its a retro fit).
    It is going to cost €400 for the new pump unit etc. but i will get a credit on the old pump so should work out ok. Better than having guests waking in the middle of the night whenever someone turns on a tap or flushes the toilet. PM me if you want the name of the company that is supplying the unit to me although there seems to be a good few companies supplying them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

In addition to above....How i insulate pumps is silicone the pump to a tile and the tile to the floor. Pack plenty of silicone between the tile and the floor it acts like rubber grommits...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

In addition to above....How i insulate pumps is silicone the pump to a tile and the tile to the floor. Pack plenty of silicone between the tile and the floor it acts like rubber grommits...

You gave me that tip before recently,and it worked an absolute treat.:D

No more noisy Grundfos pump annoying anyone,when I take a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My pump is in the attic so how would I go about noise insulating this?

One guy suggested putting it on a rubber mat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

a patio slab helped reduce the noise on my shower pump

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The noise is probably being conducted to the rafters and whatever it is mounted on. Presuming the pump is connected by flexible fittings, you could try an experiment of lifting it and wrapping the whole thing with a substantial amount of rags so the pump body is isolated from any part of the structure.

Because of cooling issues, I would only do this for a brief test run to see if the noise is reduced. If it is, you could then try something more permanent and safer.

In HiFi, sorbothane has long been used to isolate turntables from vibration. You can get it on ebay easily in the form of insoles for shoes. Copying Joey's idea and substituting sorbothane for the silicone would be worth a shot.

If you really want to get fancy, you could suspend the pump from rafters with springs incorporated in the lines to reduce vibration travelling back up them and into the structure.

Enclosing the pump in a chipboard box with foam insulation inside might be required if the issue is just noise from the pump carrying rather than being conducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oatsareclass

Hi all
    Joey the lips i attach pics for you to see how this would actually be possible with the silicon idea....

http://picasaweb.google.com/carolineblack79/Pump?feat=directlink

have a look, any help for this noisy help greatly appreciated....

Hi all
    Joey the lips i attach pics for you to see how this would actually be possible with the silicon idea....

http://picasaweb.google.com/carolineblack79/Pump?feat=directlink

have a look, any help for this noisy help greatly appreciated....

Should those pipes be not braided flexi pipes with regards to vibrations and/or movement from the pump??

Also I would think that the pipes should be insulated and the wiring tidied up and kept off the pipes,so that it cannot be melted over time by the hot pipes being so close to them.

Like mine.

No paddy on an mq the pipes are solid. I was just hopeing the plumber might have given you some lee way but he has not. You will have to get the plumber back to shorten the pipes slightly and silicone the pump down whilst he is there..

Sorry about that.

• Advertisement

So what exactly needs to be done to sort out the noise issue - pumps need to be flexi? shortened? silicon attached? could someone mayber provide a pic of what they have done so i could show it to a plumber...as 2 plumbers have already been here and didnt have a clue what to do about the noise prob!!!!
    Cheers

Caroline

No paddy on an mq the pipes are solid. I was just hopeing the plumber might have given you some lee way but he has not. You will have to get the plumber back to shorten the pipes slightly and silicone the pump down whilst he is there..

Sorry about that.

Hi Joey

Can you show me what you mean, or explain further?

Cheers

Caroline

Hi Joey

Can you show me what you mean, or explain further?

Cheers

Caroline

I will answer this and the PM together if thats ok. All you need to do is go out and buy a large porcelaine tile. A free sample will be given if you tell them you are looking for a match...

The plumber comes out and disconnects the pump blanking off the pipes.

You stick the tile to the ground make sure to use a good tube of silicone.. around the edges will be fine. Use all the silicone.

Dont press the tile onto the floor, lay it on the floor. If you press it you flatten the silicone.

When the silicone sets the pump can be siliconed back down onto the tile and the plumber can re connect the pump.

This is an easy job and the plumber should just charge you at most 2 call out charges as it will only take about 30 min each time

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

does it have to be a porcelainetile, or any left over tile that will support the pump? I ask as I've spare bathroom tiles that I could try siliconing to the floorboards in the upstairs hotpress where the pump is located?

Thanks
    W.

does it have to be a porcelainetile, or any left over tile that will support the pump? I ask as I've spare bathroom tiles that I could try siliconing to the floorboards in the upstairs hotpress where the pump is located?

Thanks
    W.

It can be any tile its just the porc is stronger. However that should not matter. What your doing is allowing the tile to be a platform for the pump. This stops the pump shakeing itself to death. Then the large lump of silicone between the tile and the floor acts like big rubber buffers or gromits... Dont be shy with the silicone. Use a large amount. The whole tube between sticking the pump to the tile and sticking the tile to the floor. You need to create speace between the tile and the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

It can be any tile its just the porc is stronger. However that should not matter. What your doing is allowing the tile to be a platform for the pump. This stops the pump shakeing itself to death. Then the large lump of silicone between the tile and the floor acts like big rubber buffers or gromits... Dont be shy with the silicone. Use a large amount. The whole tube between sticking the pump to the tile and sticking the tile to the floor. You need to create speace between the tile and the floor.

Thanks,

I'd imagine if one just silicones the long edge of the tile/pump it would reduce the contact area and thus the potential for noise? cant see the need to silicone the short edge for strength?

W.

Thanks,

I'd imagine if one just silicones the long edge of the tile/pump it would reduce the contact area and thus the potential for noise? cant see the need to silicone the short edge for strength?

W.

The more silicone,the more it absorbs the noise waves/vibrations off the pump and the less noise is transfered through the floor.

As joey the lips said,use the full tube and make a good thick silicone base between the floor and the tile.

MORE is better.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

Hi,

Could this same method be applied for one of these pump in the attic which is resting on a raised wooden platfrom which has the water tank sitting on it?
    The pump sits beside the tank (doesnt touch it).

In other words, could I silicone the porcelain tile to the wooden platfrom, let it set, put the pump on the tile and silicon it to the tile?

The pump itself isnt noisy, its just the vibration is carrying through the rafters in the attic and amplifying the sound.

Cheers
    Ken

Ken1975 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could this same method be applied for one of these pump in the attic which is resting on a raised wooden platfrom which has the water tank sitting on it?
    The pump sits beside the tank (doesnt touch it).

In other words, could I silicone the porcelain tile to the wooden platfrom, let it set, put the pump on the tile and silicon it to the tile?

The pump itself isnt noisy, its just the vibration is carrying through the rafters in the attic and amplifying the sound.

Cheers
    Ken

The tile might well make it worse. What is needed is something that will absorb the vibrations and not transmit them. A thick piece of rubber beneath each foot of the pump, with the pump held down on it with bolts going right through the platform but with rubber washers under the nuts and over sized holes is the best way of isolating vibrations. Rubber corks make good insulators, or failing that rubber sink plugs if you can find fairly soft ones.

Also, check the pipes to and from the pump. Make sure they aren't touching anything and, if possible, fit flexible hoses between the pipe ends and the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

Thanks to the lads that gave suggestions.
    In the end I got some insulation piping (foam) and placed strips of it under the pump between the wooden shelf, had to squeeze them in as there was only a 2-3com gap.
    I also noticed that the pipe up from mains up to the pump int he attic touched off the ceiling boards on the way up so i removed some plaster so as to create space between the pipe and the board. This was causing vibration to be transmitted .
    Finally the pipe itself was held in place by U nails which were attached to wooden batons in the hot press. removed those helped reduce the vibration greatly.

thanks
    Ken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

has anybody used lead for this type of problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

applied this method to my noisy pump situation yesterday with the help of my plumber and the impact is incredible. from a very noisy pump to an almost silent pump in around an hour.

loads of silicone between the plywood base and solid paving slab, and more between the paving slab and pump. also connected the pump at either end with flexihose to minimise vibration through the pipework.

job done. highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 estrela

hi there,

We installed a pump in our attic to go with our combi boiler and were really disappointed to find how noisy it was. Our new neighbour was also being woken up in the night so I was looking at these forums to try to find a solution. Our builder and plumber tried the method suggested here with the tile and silicone but it didn't work - I think because our joists are not as big and solid in some houses. We tried mounting it on the wall and surrounding it it with a soundproof box. This seemed like it was working but although the noise was much much quieter in the attic, it was still really noisy in the rest of the house (and in our poor neighbour's house)...

We were getting really desperate as there didn't seem to be a satisfactory solution...
    In the end we have actually turned the pump off. The boiler is in the attic so gravity and the pressure from the mains is actually providing enough pressure for our taps and shower downstairs (not quite as much as before, but perfectly adequate and we prefer a little less pressure to the noise every time you turn on a tap)... I just wanted to share this as I'm not sure that people realise it is possible to have the boiler in the attic with a control for the heating downstairs (I wasn't aware that it was a possibility). It is also a great space saver to have it out of the way up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Installing pumps in an attic space goes against nearly all recomendations of pump manufacturers.
    Pumps need a positive flood of a minimum of 1 meter, meaning located at least 1 meter below the cold water storage tank or else you pull air into system , that then causes air locks and pump cavitation, putting pumps in an attic space shows a lack of mechanical knowledge regarding installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

estrela wrote: »
    hi there,

We installed a pump in our attic to go with our combi boiler and were really disappointed to find how noisy it was. Our new neighbour was also being woken up in the night so I was looking at these forums to try to find a solution. Our builder and plumber tried the method suggested here with the tile and silicone but it didn't work - I think because our joists are not as big and solid in some houses. We tried mounting it on the wall and surrounding it it with a soundproof box. This seemed like it was working but although the noise was much much quieter in the attic, it was still really noisy in the rest of the house (and in our poor neighbour's house)...

We were getting really desperate as there didn't seem to be a satisfactory solution...
    In the end we have actually turned the pump off. The boiler is in the attic so gravity and the pressure from the mains is actually providing enough pressure for our taps and shower downstairs (not quite as much as before, but perfectly adequate and we prefer a little less pressure to the noise every time you turn on a tap)... I just wanted to share this as I'm not sure that people realise it is possible to have the boiler in the attic with a control for the heating downstairs (I wasn't aware that it was a possibility). It is also a great space saver to have it out of the way up there.

I believe the previous posts were to do with pumping water up to the cold water tank in areas of low pressure (although I could be wrong). Pumping water down to provide increased pressure in the house, as the previous poster stated, could create air bubbles or cavitation if the pump is not located low enough. One option would be to raise the height of the water tank if space permits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Hi,

My new pressurised system is just installed and I'm shocked at the noise of the Grundfos MQ pump. I've been reading up on methods to reduce it and am very tempted to get the plumber back to try the tile and silicone method. Its a tight enough space and the floor tiles are cut around the pump and the pump is sitting on the concrete screed.

I think I'd need to build to a layer under the pump to at least the height of the floor tiles and then plant the 30x60 porcelain tile on top of that with more silicon. Then have silicon on top of the tile, then the pump.

Might it be an idea to pre-silicon a tile underneath and above and let it dry. Then when plumber comes it would take a thin layer above and below to bind the floor and pump to it. It might save a callout and some time.

Should as much of the porcelain tile surface area be siliconed to the floor, or just have a blob at the centre?

295776.jpg

From your pic it looks as if the pump is just free standing on the concrete and not fixed down in any way. Like that it will transmit vibrations and noise (the same thing) through all the pipework. So the first question is why don't you get the plumber back and tell him about the noise and tell him to fix it? I assume that you have paid him a lot of cash for the installation, so don't give up until you're satisfied.

Otherwise, if I was going to deal with it, I would look to couple the pipes in and out with flexibles, and would mount the pump on rubber cushions.

Yes, the pump isn't screwed down. I put my hand on the pipes while the pump was running and they all were vibrating so I would say the flexible pipes will help.

I have complained about the noise to the architect but he says that's the noise they all are so I have to talk to the plumber about it direct but can't treat as a snag. He's fairly decent but hard to get on the phone.

He has to come back for other things so it shouldn't be expensive to do a little extra while onsite.

I talked to the plumber and he suggested he can put a rubber mat under the pump. My suggestions of the silicon with tile and flexible pipes were pretty much ignored. I would love to know if my suggestions would reduce the noise level. I don't want to make him do it and probably pay for it, and it ends up the same. At the moment its 60dB when running according to my phone app.

Whats a good material to use for covering it? That should dampen the noise a lot too. Xtratherm cut to make a box maybe?

Or possibly wrap the pump in newspaper and tape it up to completely cover it. Then spray expandable foam all over. If access to pump is ever needed, it should be possible to cut the foam off and rebuild after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Dont cover the pump as it needs circulating air to keep it cool at running temp.
    The better option is fixing the pump tight to the floor, fitting flexi connections and making sure the copper piping is properly fixed to the wall.

Advertisement