Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science vs CSSE

Options
  • 04-10-2010 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hello I am a first year computer science student considering my options for second year. I am either going to continue with Computer Science, or transfer to the Computer Science and Software Engineering course. I am wondering if there are any people here familiar with the CSSE course, and what would they make of it in general (content, modules, hours, job prospects etc).

Is a CSSE degree worth it, or would you stick with a computer science degree?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BeneGal

*waits for mp3guy's reply* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

Do you find any other of the Science subjects interesting? Are you really interested in CS?

I cant really comment on all the modules because they changed the format for the year below me. CSSE isn't exactly the easiest degree you can study and over the years a lot of people have dropped out or had to repeat a year.

They have made the course a lot more manageable then it was for me and the hours are a lot less then what I had to do like in 3rd year it was 32 hours for the year below me it was 24 hours a week.
    You can see the CS Timetables here.

I found it very boring up until 4th year (with the exception of Charles Markhams lectures :D) but then in 4th year you are worked to the bone and its very hard going but if you put in the effort you will come out with a good result.

Also be aware that most of the CS Dept lectures are pretty bad.

The Modules
    2nd Year:
    CS130 - Databases -- Pretty straight forward nothing really difficult.

CS151 - Discrete Structures 1 -- Pretty much Maths with out numbers but not really difficult.

CS210 - Algorithms & Data Structures 1 -- Work hard at this module as it teaches you a lot about programming and how to get and store information.

CS211 - Algorithms & Data Structures 2 -- Same as above but just harder.

CS220 - Computer Architecture 1 -- Interesting but the guy who lectures it leaves a lot to be desired.

CS230 - Web Information Processing -- Didnt do this.

CS240 - Operating Systems -- Same as Architecture but gives you a good understanding on OS.

CS253 - Computer Architecture 2 -- Very interesting and done by Charles Markham who is one of the best lectures in the Dept.

CS265 - Software Testing -- Didnt do this.

CS335 - Software Engineering & Software Process -- Very boring but most people did well in this module. Very good for preparing you for you Thesis in final year and if you go into Software Testing.

3rd year

CS258 - Empirical Software Engineering -- Didnt do

CS264 - Software Design -- Didnt do

CS310 - Programming Languages and Compilers -- Very hard module and lecturer expects everyone to be interested in the module which doesnt happen. Not too many people do well in this.

CS320 - Computer Networks -- Interesting but hard at the same time.

CS353 - Team Project -- You are in a team of 6 and you design a product form scratch and do all the documents for it and then present it trying to sell it to potential buyers. Most people do well in this module.

CS357 - Software Verification -- Same as Discrete Structures but a lot harder.

CS361 - Industrial Work Placement -- Depends on where you get placed, but you have to write up weekly logs on what you do but most people from my year ended up doing nothing like formatting computers or packing boxes.

4th Year
    You have the chose of modules and you do your final year project that takes up most of your time but it is a very hard year and I wouldn't go back if you paid me. Though on the plus side you dont have any labs to do just assignments.

As for job prospects it depends on what area you want to do into. If you are good at programming and did a good placement you can earn a lot of money. Like one of the guys did a year work experience and came into my year and is now earning €30k in development while another lad who did a 6 month placement designing websites is now working for a big online estate agent earning €27k. But then there is me and 3 other lads who have been looking for work and finding it pretty hard but then again then again I have only been looking since the end of August as I was away for the summer but the other guys have been looking since they finished exams and haven't been having the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Do you study maths in first year at the minute? I tried to switch to CSSE after my first year, and I was told I couldn't due to not studying maths. Admittedly, I now think that it is better that I don't do CSSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Computer Sci

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP: Do you study maths in first year at the minute? I tried to switch to CSSE after my first year, and I was told I couldn't due to not studying maths. Admittedly, I now think that it is better that I don't do CSSE.

Currently doing computer science through arts, and I really like the subject. We are doing discrete structures (CS151) at the moment.

Currently doing computer science through arts, and I really like the subject. We are doing discrete structures (CS151) at the moment.

If you really want to do CSSE you will have to switch now as they might stop you at the end of year but if your also studying Maths they might allow you to switch at the end of the year. One of the guys in my year who was really good at CSSE switched form Arts.

• Advertisement

I wish you the best of luck, that module was soul-destroying!

pakb1ue wrote: »
    If you really want to do CSSE you will have to switch now as they might stop you at the end of year but if your also studying Maths they might allow you to switch at the end of the year. One of the guys in my year who was really good at CSSE switched form Arts.

One of the members of staff said one of my options after first year CS Arts, I could transfer to CSSE. I was also thinking of sitting in on some of the classes during the year.

How did the person in your year get around to getting into CSSE.

I wish you the best of luck, that module was soul-destroying!

Damn straight with that!! :D

Jeez if you are finding Discrete Structures 1 hard you should be grateful that you dont have to do Discrete Structures 2 like I had to do.

TBH I have no idea but I know he did it pretty early as I thought he was in our course from the start but obviously not. I would contact the http://studentservices.nuim.ie/academic-advisory to find out more about your options.

Jeez if you are finding Discrete Structures 1 hard you should be grateful that you dont have to do Discrete Structures 2 like I had to do.

:eek: - all that needs to be said. How anyone could possibly give one a second module of Discrete Structures is beyond me! I'd have to consider my definition of human decency!

• Advertisement

:eek: - all that needs to be said. How anyone could possibly give one a second module of Discrete Structures is beyond me! I'd have to consider my definition of human decency!

Lol I actually had to do it a 3rd time for CS357 - Software Verification :D

Just looked up the exam papers for DS2 and my year was the last year to do it.

Would it be fair to say that (a) I wouldn't be able to transfer to CSSE, and (2) even if I could, such a move would be inadvisable.

Don't get me wrong, I like Computer Science as a solo subject, and am simply considering my options for second year.

Thanks.

^^
    I reckon get on to the Head of Department and ask him if it is possible beforehand. If you want his e-mail please PM me, as it's probably best not to put this stuff up publically.

As for whether such a move would be inadvisable, that is up to you to decide. How much do you enjoy your other arts subjects? Do you think they might be a nice balance to Computer Science? Personally, I find it beneficial to do both it and another arts subject.

If you keep studying Arts in 2nd year, you will be able to take Digital Humanities, which provides a bridge between humanities and computer science by analysing ancient documents using XML or database systems with the research institute An Foras Feasa. This might be a field that you might consider in the future. This isn't available to CSSE students.

It's up to you to decide, but if you have any more questions about CS through Arts ask me. As far as I know declan06 does Computer Science as well, and of course pakb1ue is also someone to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Probably because it's part of the ACM curriculum.

They did away with it because CS258 Empirical Software Engineering was meant to account for the stats and probability stuff.

CSSE is harder then CS-Arts, its a year longer and you have to do a Final Year Project in CSSE which you dont have to with Arts. The FYP is very good thing to have as you will be asked about it a lot in interviews.

Not too many people do CSA think there was 4 or 5 in final year when I was in 3rd year. They where all pretty crap at CS as well though one of them was pretty good and is now working for a big company doing programming. But he got into that company by doing a masters.

I would definitely get on to Adam (HOD) or the Advisory office.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Eh? Discrete Structures was soul destroying???

That was one of my favourite modules of the year!

pakb1ue - You have to do a team project at the end of CS Arts. I know this because I'm doing said module CS353.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

pakb1ue - You have to do a team project at the end of CS Arts. I know this because I'm doing said module CS353.

Yes thats a team project

whereas in Final Year CSSE and Final Year CS through Science, its a Final Year Project, which you do all by your lonesome.

After doing CS353 in Third year, I can tell you that the Final Year Project is a different kettle of fish.

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting to get into a "my CS-course is better than yours" discussion.

Although, a team based project is probably more useful if one is going into an industrial environment than an individual one? (Then again CSSE people do an industrial placement).

Does anybody have links for the type of maths they do in first year CSSE?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting to get into a "my CS-course is better than yours" discussion.

Although, a team based project is probably more useful if one is going into an industrial environment than an individual one? (Then again CSSE people do an industrial placement).

I thought this was exactly that.... yet again I seem to have been foiled by an obvious title.

In the big bad world of Industry, team projects are common yes and experience in team work is always a bonus.
    But teams are a funny thing and its always difficult to assess the team as a whole since its inevitable that one team member does a lot more then the others. and its even harder when you just put this in a two page document that will be read once. If your lucky.

The CS353 module is aimed at giving you some skills at developing in a team, but the final result of it isn't nearly as important as the processes your learn.

But when going for a job, you tend to get asked about you, your experiences and own projects first. To see if talking to you is not a complete waste of there time,
    then they see if you have played nice with others in the past.

That's why the final year project is important, its graded and seen as a non-trivial project which you do by yourself.
    And it doesn't matter what the configuration or size of the team in the real world is, you'll still be expected to work on things by yourself.

// End of Rant, return to topic at hand

^^ So, my hopes are incredibly limited for a career in software development? :eek:

^^ So, my hopes are incredibly limited for a career in software development? :eek:

Well how long is a piece of string... ?

Depends, A degree in CS will help wedge your toe firmly into the frame and thus stop the door being slammed closed.

But you need to have more then that, experience counts for a lot as well as personal projects or well researched interests. And also doing something not on the course for your own benefit really helps you to stand out (For example, learning a new programming language, Getting experience with and seeing the benefit of the tools used in industry, etc.)

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    I thought this was exactly that.... yet again I seem to have been foiled by an obvious title.

In the big bad world of Industry, team projects are common yes and experience in team work is always a bonus.
    But teams are a funny thing and its always difficult to assess the team as a whole since its inevitable that one team member does a lot more then the others. and its even harder when you just put this in a two page document that will be read once. If your lucky.

The CS353 module is aimed at giving you some skills at developing in a team, but the final result of it isn't nearly as important as the processes your learn.

But when going for a job, you tend to get asked about you, your experiences and own projects first. To see if talking to you is not a complete waste of there time,
    then they see if you have played nice with others in the past.

That's why the final year project is important, its graded and seen as a non-trivial project which you do by yourself.
    And it doesn't matter what the configuration or size of the team in the real world is, you'll still be expected to work on things by yourself.

// End of Rant, return to topic at hand

Can I clarify something here, I have always liked computers, and have loved programming so far in CS (i'm practicing using java at home as well), and I am wondering what is the best option course-wise for second year. I am not too fond of the arts subjects to be brutally honest (in part because I feel they teach me nothing useful), and also because I can't stand writing and/ or reading essays on the most useless topics.

I am willing to sit in on the maths modules of CSSE this year if it would help me. I would also appreciate if anybody could provide links for the type of maths done in first year CSSE (linear algebra and calculus I presume)

I really like programming and computers, but do not like my arts subjects one bit - hope this helps to put things into perspective. Thanks.

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Well how long is a piece of string... ?

Depends, A degree in CS will help wedge your toe firmly into the frame and thus stop the door being slammed closed.

But you need to have more then that, experience counts for a lot as well as personal projects or well researched interests. And also doing something not on the course for your own benefit really helps you to stand out (For example, learning a new programming language, Getting experience with and seeing the benefit of the tools used in industry, etc.)
    CSSE also do a team project in 3rd year. Have to agree with Alt Grr here, in my team project not everyone was pulling their weight myself included. The the FYP is a lot harder and it was the most difficult thing I have ever done in college.

CSSE is always going to be better then the other CS degrees as its covers more. But when you are going for jobs, if you have a good grade, experience and can talk the game you wont have a problem getting a CS related job.
    Does anybody have links for the type of maths they do in first year CSSE?

Thanks.
    Can I clarify something here, I have always liked computers, and have loved programming so far in CS (i'm practicing using java at home as well), and I am wondering what is the best option course-wise for second year. I am not too fond of the arts subjects to be brutally honest (in part because I feel they teach me nothing useful), and also because I can't stand writing and/ or reading essays on the most useless topics.

I am willing to sit in on the maths modules of CSSE this year if it would help me. I would also appreciate if anybody could provide links for the type of maths done in first year CSSE (linear algebra and calculus I presume)

I really like programming and computers, but do not like my arts subjects one bit - hope this helps to put things into perspective. Thanks.
    Here is the 1st year CSSE Timetable
    http://www.cs.nuim.ie/timetables/Sem1/CSSE1.htm
    http://www.cs.nuim.ie/timetables/Sem2/CSSE1.htm
    You can see the Maths modules there and if you want you can look up the exam papers on the library's website.

If you like programming and are good at it (which I wasnt) and you enjoy learning how computers work then CSSE is the degree for you. Also every year the programming gets less and less well I have found anyway.

I stayed away from Arts as I hated writing essays and reading books but in final year you have to do it for your thesis, if you pick Neurocomputation and any of Dermot Kelly modules ;)

If you like programming and are good at it (which I wasnt) and you enjoy learning how computers work then CSSE is the degree for you. Also every year the programming gets less and less well I have found anyway.

I stayed away from Arts as I hated writing essays and reading books but in final year you have to do it for your thesis, if you pick Neurocomputation and any of Dermot Kelly modules ;)

Yeah, the course isn't all programming as said here. There is plenty of theory (especially as the course goes on).

Dermot Kelly does lecture Parallel & Distributed Systems which is arguably one of the most important modules you could do in this day and age (especially after taking a peak at Intel's recommended reading list for the second half of 2010 - http://www.intel.com/technology/rr/RRlist.pdf).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skai527

Does anybody know what languages will be taught in year 2 of CSSE in NUIM? Can anybody advise on any additional materials/books you used, to help me to study a little bit ahead when I start my 2nd year this September?

Just email the department / lecturers to find out, they have no reason to withhold that information.

Advertisement