Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBR to freeBOOT

Options
  • 27-09-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well being bored this evening, I decided to move my 360 from the seemingly abandoned XBR 8955 dash to freeBOOT 9199. As my console is already jtag'd, the procedure was very fast/simple.

The first step was to dump the XBR patched nand. This was accomplished very quickly as it can be done from any xex tool on a jtag. It really shows the difference in read/write speed as opposed to the lpt method.

The XBR 8955 Dash

n6s1p4.jpg

Flash360 dumping the XBR nand to a USB thumbdrive

2zpplye.jpg

Now the next step, was to boot to Xellous and HTTP across from my PC to retrieve to important console specifics. But my XBR only had Xell (of which the HTTP didn't work), so I needed to temp patch the existing Nand with a Xellous update

Flash360 applying the Xellous update

99i3uw.jpg

Once Xellous was installed, I HTTP'd across and was able to download the needed keys/credentials in order to build the freeBOOT image for my console. Notice the "Taking Back Your Console" caption :cool:

f43aj6.jpg

Now, with my XBR dump & Keyvault etc at hand, I was able to build the freeBOOT image. You first view your dumped nand in a hex-editor to identify the CB version of your motherboard, in my case it was a CB5770 version Falcon.

The 5770 Falcon donor files (found elsewhere) are then copied to a temp directory. My Keyvault was then hex-edited to allow for re-writing of the necessary CPU key. From there, a command line tool is ran to integrate the specific details of the console into a generic freeBOOT 9199 Kernel.

35k8it1.jpg

This creates the updflash.bin file, which is the freeBOOT 9199 dash combined with the security details of my console (KV/CPU KEY etc). This file is then used with Flash360 to be written to the Nand.

2re7fh0.jpg

After writing the the nand, the console is restarted. If everything is done correctly, you should find the 9199 dash in place.

f6jbc.jpg

I then applied the official MS 9199 update file to allow Avatars etc. And that's that! Regards the benefits, I don't think there's much in it really except that freeBOOT seems much more actively updated. There's been no XBR updates in a long time. The plus side is my previous XBR nand image can be restored from Flash360 in seconds if needs be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Excellent Job and welcome to 9199 ;)

I updated my own XBR to Freeboot recently, but I didn't do it your way :D Instead I took out my 100% original nand backup along with my keys and used BestPig's freeBOOT toolbox to one-click generate my own copy of freeboot as an updflash.bin. Popped it onto a memorystick, booted up Xellous which reads from the USB looking for it and updates.

What's the official MS avatar update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Excellent Job and welcome to 9199 ;)

I updated my own XBR to Freeboot recently, but I didn't do it your way :D Instead I took out my 100% original nand backup along with my keys and used BestPig's freeBOOT toolbox to one-click generate my own copy of freeboot as an updflash.bin. Popped it onto a memorystick, booted up Xellous which reads from the USB looking for it and updates.

What's the official MS avatar update?

I have my stock nand file here too - you mean there's a proggie that generates freeBOOT 9199 with that file & one click?? Ah feck it, at least it can be said I never take the easy road all the time :D

Em apparently it's for missing files (maybe the issue is resolved, I applied the patch anyway). Here's the link. Extract the rar and put the $SystemUpdate onto a CD/USB and xexmenu detects the update & prompts you to run it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I have my stock nand file here too - you mean there's a proggie that generates freeBOOT 9199 with that file & one click?? Ah feck it, at least it can be said I never take the easy road all the time :D

Em apparently it's for missing files (maybe the issue is resolved, I applied the patch anyway). Here's the link. Extract the rar and put the $SystemUpdate onto a CD/USB and xexmenu detects the update & prompts you to run it.

Are you sure that's not the actual system update? As in the Microsoft version of the dashboard?

Also: http://www.bestpig.fr/

Are you sure that's not the actual system update? As in the Microsoft version of the dashboard?

Also: http://www.bestpig.fr/

I've no idea TV, if you search for the freeboot allinone package (can't link to it) there's a pdf tut in it that tells you at the end to run that update due to missing files. It could be the official MS update, it's a big enough file. But why would that be needed as freeBOOT was already at 9199 when I first flashed.

It's a strange one all right. Feck it, I'll run it anyways just to be safe. The JTAG stays off the grid anyhow.

You'll know it's not the MS dash when you run unsigned code :p

• Advertisement

It's a strange one all right. Feck it, I'll run it anyways just to be safe. The JTAG stays off the grid anyhow.

You'll know it's not the MS dash when you run unsigned code :p

Way ahead of you, unsigned code is happily running along :D I leave my 360 on the grid as I need FTP access, and it annoys me having to manually connect to the network through the dash if the DNS servers arn't set proper. Been like that a while now & no issues. I've no XBL account though on that console, or even a Live profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

It's the official one ya use alright, FB won't let it do anything it "shouldn't", so doesn't effect E-fuses etc.

"The file "bin\fuses.bin" contains the virtual fuse settings used by freeBOOT"

I downloaded mine originally from MS.com and still have the same copy.. It's just for installing things like the Avatar creator and stuff like that. There was something else I noticed I couldn't do until I installed the full update, can't remember what it was..

I always compile my FB image on the PC, rename to updflash.bin and pop it onto the root of a USB key to flash with Xellous.. To each their own!

Wez wrote: »
    It's the official one ya use alright, FB won't let it do anything it "shouldn't", so doesn't effect E-fuses etc.

"The file "bin\fuses.bin" contains the virtual fuse settings used by freeBOOT"

I downloaded mine originally from MS.com and still have the same copy.. It's just for installing things like the Avatar creator and stuff like that. There was something else I noticed I couldn't do until I installed the full update, can't remember what it was..

I always compile my FB image on the PC, rename to updflash.bin and pop it onto the root of a USB key to flash with Xellous.. To each their own!

Ah I wasn't worried about e-fuses, after all, R6T3 has long been orphanised :D

Advertisement