Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you identify this?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Can you identify this caterpillar (I think). Found it while moving some potted trees yesterday. He's well camouflaged and looks like a twig on the tree with some buds at the top of his head. Googling has come up with nothing so far. It's still in the same position this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Dogwood ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 balrog_beag

The tree is a silver birch.. After some more googling the closest I can get to an identification is a geometrid moth caterpillar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The tree is a silver birch.. After some more googling the closest I can get to an identification is a geometrid moth caterpillar?
    This thread just been brought to my attention,

Is caterpillar still there?

I agree with geometrid moth and I may not be able to take it further.

What size is it.
    Try looking through
    http://www.ukleps.org/

List names in taxanomic order and look through Geometrids

If caterpillar is longer than 25mm then ignore the pugs species

Actually check out Peppered Moth

Thanks Mothman.

He's still there and is providing plenty of facination for our young daughters as he moves around every couple of nights so they go out and see if they can find him.

He's about 65mm long and the Peppered Moth photos seem to be a good resemblence alright.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a browse through the list. I never knew that there were so many different species!!!

• Advertisement

The size practically excludes all other species.
    It will disappear to pupate very soon.

It s possible to keep it and see what appears next year though judging from my own children the wait may be too unbearable and may be wiser to leave be, though it's likely they will be disappointed when it is gone, so I'd prepare them for that ;)

if you keep it, they pupate in the soil, so a container (something plastic lunch box type) with foodplant, part of the tree with soil in bottom of container. Note there would be no guarantee that a moth emerges next year (perhaps June), it may be a big parasitic wasp! :eek:

Thanks again Mothman.

When we found it first we were thinking about keeping it in a container but didn't know where to start and had little info on it so left it be. With your advice we may reconsider although I'm not sure they'd be pleased with a wasp at the end of it..

Advertisement