Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipmunk spotted in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I felt this deserved a thread of its own.
    Copied from Nature in the News thread

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I blame the petshops :mad:

I've seen chipmunks for sale (not sure if Siberian) with "Alvin* and friends" sign on their cage, blatently using the Alvin craze to enhance the "cute" factor and thus, by the power of pester coupled with uninformed or just plain sales focused staff, people are lured into buying creatures they can't handle. If they aren't suitable as pets then why are they sold as pets :confused:
    Rant over.

*Alvin = childrens movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There have been a few reports of Chipmunks in the wild as a result of escaped/discarded pets. It may be the start of another ecological disaster for Ireland. Cute they may be ,but a real pest if they get a hold in the wild. They are not good pets and require a large open aviary style enclosure. Let's hope they don't get a hold here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder how common they are? hopefully it's just an isolated escapee with no other chipmunks to breed with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

i wonder how common they are? hopefully it's just an isolated escapee with no other chipmunks to breed with.
    Can't be too isolated,this is a picture belonging to me from back in 2007, might be a bit graphic.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2574/chipmunk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Aaaah... they're so cute (but not the dead one). I look forward to seeing them in the future. :)

recedite wrote: »
    Aaaah... they're so cute (but not the dead one). I look forward to seeing them in the future. :)

I take it you are taking the Michael there. They will be a pest and a danger to our ecology.

Unfortunately this report is not an isolated incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I take it you are taking the Michael there. They will be a pest and a danger to our ecology.

Unfortunately this report is not an isolated incident.

Hi Francisco Lively Pollywog,

What is the particular concern with Chipmunks? I freely acknowledge that any alien species is an undesirable addition - just wondered what in particular they will do that is especially damaging?

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

LostCovey wrote: »
    Hi Srameen,

What is the particular concern with Chipmunks? I freely acknowledge that any alien species is an undesirable addition - just wondered what in particular they will do that is especially damaging?

LostCovey

i think they will compete against the all ready struggling red squirrel. there might be other reasons too

• Advertisement

Jp has it right. Their habits are very close to that of the Red Squirrel. They also eat bird eggs.

Irrespective of this have we not learned the danger of alien species all over the world by now?

Jp has it right. Their habits are very close to that of the Red Squirrel. They also eat bird eggs.

Irrespective of this have we not learned the danger of alien species all over the world by now?

Absolutely agree Francisco Lively Pollywog, just wondered what the specific issue was/

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Saw this featured in todays (or yesterday's considering I'm writing after midnight!) Irish Times. Seems there have been quite a few sightings of them in Waterford.
    Why are we so lax in this country about allowing other species free regin to do damage to our native wildlife.
    As if the poor red squirrel didn't have anough competttion with the grey squirrel :(
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0923/1224279504217.html

LostCovey wrote: »
    Hi Srameen,

LostCovey
    You just answer'd you'r own question,cuddly or not they are a pest species and should be eradicated.

marlin vs wrote: »
    You just answer'd you'r own question,cuddly or not they are a pest species and should be eradicated.

Hi marlin vs,

I think you are mistaken there, I didn't answer my own question, but jap_gt and Srameen did understand and answer my question.

Thanks to both.

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They are "bloody foreigners". What more evidence of their badness do you want? Ireland for the Irish wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hopefully the likes of pinemartins and certain raptors thin them out:)

A bit of a vain hope that Birdnuts. That type of thinking won't help. Look at Gray Squirrels, alien mussels, japanese weeds, etc You can't just hope predators will keep something at bay when it is not their natural prey.

A bit of a vain hope that Birdnuts. That type of thinking won't help. Look at Gray Squirrels, alien mussels, japanese weeds, etc You can't just hope predators will keep something at bay when it is not their natural prey.

I take your point - but I do remember reading somewhere that Grey Squirrel numbers have dropped in certain parts of the country is association with rebounding numbers of pinemartens, since they are slower, spend more time on the ground and by all accounts are easier to catch then their red cousins.:)

PS: Apparently Tufted Ducks, Scooters and pochards find Zebra mussel quiet tasty;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

He's being scarastic....

• Advertisement

Then theres the White-toothed Shrew turning up in owl pellets in Munster;)

He's being scarastic....

I'm just pointing out that some aliens are worse then others:confused:

By the way I fully agree that all measures should be taken to keep these aliens out of the country!!

Birdnuts wrote: »

By the way I fully agree that all measures should be taken to keep these aliens out of the country!!
    No offence intended.:o I meant in a humorous scarcastic way.

Hopefully the likes of pinemartins and certain raptors thin them out:)
    With a bit of luck.

I was in a wood in south Kilkenny yesterday,and I have spoken to some of my friends that hunt this wood for year's as I do, and none of us have seen a red squirrell there (i'm talking 30 years) but as I pulled up the car to go running the dog's a grey squirrell actually came within 15 yrd's of me,there's strange thing's happening more Buzzard's to beat the band Hen Harriers,and I have to say I love to see the raptor's, but as for non native species like the grey squirell, the chipmunk, and the mink i'll take no pity.

I know we all agree about alien species and are all singing from the same sheet but please don't go the route of considering some alien species worse than others.
    They are all bad news for our ecology and environment.

No amount of Tufted Duck will clear us of the very real threat from Zebra Mussel. Predators will never reduce the Gray Squirrel numbers by any real measure. Sorry for harping on about it but alien species are alien species and to be avoided at all costs.

marlin vs wrote: »
    I was in a wood in south Kilkenny yesterday,and I have spoken to some of my friends that hunt this wood for year's as I do, and none of us have seen a red squirrell there (i'm talking 30 years) but as I pulled up the car to go running the dog's a grey squirrell actually came within 15 yrd's of me,there's strange thing's happening more Buzzard's to beat the band Hen Harriers,and I have to say I love to see the raptor's, but as for non native species like the grey squirell, the chipmunk, and the mink i'll take no pity.

Buzzards would be a bit slow for these guys in woodland - there better on rats, rabbits etc. in open ground. Indeed around harvest time the best place to spot buzzards(in my area anyway) is in and around newly harvested fields that have large numbers of displaced rats and mice.

On the subject of grey squirrels, I reckon the raptor to put manners on them would be the Goshawk. An agile woodland predator the can even drop to the ground and run after small mammals. There are a few pairs now in the North and maybe one or two already in the border counties of the republic. It would be great to see them spread after an absence of at least 250 years:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No more than the mink, if there there were a small bounty put on these alien species there'd be a lot better control of them. There are a lot of folks out there already trapping mink, grey squirrels etc. out of their own pocket. A small incentive wouldn't hurt though.

johngalway wrote: »
    No more than the mink, if there there were a small bounty put on these alien species there'd be a lot better control of them. There are a lot of folks out there already trapping mink, grey squirrels etc. out of their own pocket. A small incentive wouldn't hurt though.
    If NARGC spent more of their resources controlling mink/grey squirrel as they do releasing non-native pheasant/red-legged partridge, that would be a help to all irish native wildlife. I do realise they do try and control mink/grey squirrel.

• Advertisement

I think we need tighter customs here. We're a small Island with some great flora and fauna. I don't understand how we can let that be threatened.

Advertisement