Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connolly DART Entrance

Options
  • 22-09-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Why don't Iaranród Éireann re-open the DART entrance on Amiens St. that leads up to the underpass below platforms 6 & 7? This would save long walks through the mainline entrance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

colm1982 wrote: »
    Why don't Iaranród Éireann re-open the DART entrance on Amiens St. that leads up to the underpass below platforms 6 & 7? This would save long walks through the mainline entrance.
    Extra staff and security would be required, if CIE can get away without it they will. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Simply answer - CIE/IE can't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

Where exactly was that entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Its like flying ryanair. Endless walking to get to the place where the transport is.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Darlughda wrote: »
    Its like flying ryanair. Endless walking to get to the place where the transport is.:mad:
    At least you can see any southbound Dart approaching in the distance giving you enough time to leg it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Karsini wrote: »
    Where exactly was that entrance?

Here http://goo.gl/maps/oqGa

It had the most amount of steps known to man when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Extra staff and security would be required, if CIE can get away without it they will. :p
    If they split up some of the siamese twins staff having a chat together while ignoring their actual job and sent one to watch a set of automated barriers in the Suburban station entrance then literally tens of thousands of people would have a nicer day...but being CIE it's more important that the staff aren't in any way put out or inconvenienced for the sake of the travelling public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

IIRC, the entrance/exit was closed around the time the station was renovated and the likes of that Oslo bar appeared. The cynic in me suggests that the old entrance/exit was closed to increase the footfall past those new businesses.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

GP Motorcycles took over that area but closed last year

Maybe the lease is over now so that's one less excuse to not bring the entrance back
    Darlughda wrote: »

I walked to Pier D in Dublin airport once, I thought I was in Co. Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Zebra3 wrote: »
    IIRC, the entrance/exit was closed around the time the station was renovated and the likes of that Oslo bar appeared. The cynic in me suggests that the old entrance/exit was closed to increase the footfall past those new businesses.....

Good point but only an alco would avail of the truly awful Oslo Bar - what a dive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

At least you can see any southbound Dart approaching in the distance giving you enough time to leg it. :)

Huh. Hate early morning heart attacks.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oslo Bar is the nicest and best value carvary in Dublin.
    I won't hear a bad word against it

People from the IFSC flock to the place, gets very busy

But getting way offtopic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There wasn't scope for wheelchair access to platform level from the entrance so I'd guess that was a factor. It also required extra staff to run it so cost may have also been something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hamndegger wrote: »
    There wasn't scope for wheelchair access to platform level from the entrance so I'd guess that was a factor. It also required extra staff to run it so cost may have also been something to do with it.
    Rubbish excuses for a city centre terminal and suburban station though. They could have easily overcome any wheelchair issues like everywhere else on the network (if they are even required to...there's the main entrance for wheelchair users) and as for it requiring extra staff...no excuse: take a staff member from a suburban station and let it be unmanned. Much more bang for the buck to be had by manning Connolly Suburban than say, Clonsilla or Phoenix Park.

There was always something very fishy about the suburban station entrance closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

murphaph wrote: »
    Rubbish excuses for a city centre terminal and suburban station though. They could have easily overcome any wheelchair issues like everywhere else on the network (if they are even required to...there's the main entrance for wheelchair users) and as for it requiring extra staff...no excuse: take a staff member from a suburban station and let it be unmanned. Much more bang for the buck to be had by manning Connolly Suburban than say, Clonsilla or Phoenix Park.

There was always something very fishy about the suburban station entrance closing.

I don't know if they can or not but there isn't a lot of room to play with on the platforms while the station building was some way behind the platforms; remember that the trains come in at an angle to Amien Street and there was a long walk way. Not saying it's impossible but it may have been an issue. On staffing, it would take a lot more than one man to keep it open; bear in mind that it would be open for about 18 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hamndegger wrote: »
    On staffing, it would take a lot more than one man to keep it open; bear in mind that it would be open for about 18 hours a day.

they could just have it open at rush hours like the back entrance to Tara Street (which was another old entrance that they re-opened).

I agree that it should be re-opened - with the new barriers (temperamental though they are) and ticket machines it would only require one staff member - the main station is generally full of IE staff standing around chatting. OK, its only about 100m from the existing Amiens St entrance, but it would save another 500m walking within the station for Dart passengers coming from North Strand direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 colm1982

Looks like they are doing some work in that old suburban entrance these days. With any hope they are re-opening it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

colm1982 wrote: »
    Looks like they are doing some work in that old suburban entrance these days. With any hope they are re-opening it.

Its going to be an emergency exit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hilly Bill wrote: »

If they're upgrading the stairs and doors to meet modern standards there is absolutely no valid reason why they can't shove a TVM and validators in there with a sign telling people to use the other entrance in other cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I thought it always was. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

its going to be a smarter looking one then.

Advertisement