Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ONE / ONE Challenge - After Dark

• 20-09-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Well everyone here goes,
    The Challenge I have chosen after much thought is After Dark, i.e. Night time photography. As the evenings are drawing in and considering the technical challenges of shooting after the sun has gone down i thought this would give plenty of scope for dramatic Images.

Some Examples here
    4285863806_21e106d7c2_m.jpg
    Speed! - San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge by PatrickSmithPhotography, on Flickr
    4308509330_a9befcea2c_m.jpg
    Alien VS Bokeh.jpg by 99%: "Meh", on Flickr

4873332833_e6b5113ee1_m.jpg
    IMG_5348 by jakethreadgould, on Flickr

3174462395_bd8738c72e_m.jpg
    Scary night landscape by Daria Angeli, on Flickr

some useful links here & here

*Photos must be posted within 1 week of the day the task was set – so the closing time/date is 9pm on Monday 27th September 2010.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this ONE/ONE CHALLENGE in mind qualify.

Therefore, the photo must be taken after 7 am on the 20th September 2010.
    (Please do not hide Exif data).
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *Only ONE photo per entrant.
    Most people appreciate constructive criticism – so it is welcome.

The next CHALLENGE is to be chosen by the person who gets the most votes in the Poll.
    Voting by way of Poll will commence at 9 pm on Monday 27th September and will last until 9pm on Saturday 2nd October with the new Challenge to start the following Monday. You can only vote for ONE Photo in the poll

winner One/One Challenge - After dark 38 votes

keps
    0% 0 votes
    Martron
    10% 4 votes
    bogmanfan
    18% 7 votes
    kev_Longshanks100
    2% 1 vote
    okmqaz42
    39% 15 votes
    uns12345
    2% 1 vote
    Scamp-
    26% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Just to get the ball rolling

The 2 street lights outside the house tonight- after 5 pints of Guinness in the Beggars Bush(true)

Nikon d70s
    300 mm lens
    1/6th sec @f13
    swivelled on a monopod (as only you can do after few pints):)

A44AF8E86AD34813B95C66CCDEE349D3-0000337703-0001930557-00800L-733306E4E5274FE89A3FCF44ABE933D9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

0EE6BDAC57BB4E01AAC98E9F48106C93-0000326998-0001930901-00800L-7E182B32F08445DBB013AB4E0B07DCB7.jpg

Have been wanting to try shaped bokeh for a while. anyway this is my attempt at it.

focal lenght : 50mm
    F/1.8
    Exposure time 1 second
    ISO 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

afterdark.jpg

Canon 500d
    Shutter priority
    f20
    10 sec
    ISO 400
    60mm prime lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

5015276839_8302181d68_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

5021960663_ec90884205_z.jpg DSC_5898 by okmqaz42, on Flickr

Focal Length 30mm
    ISO Speed 200
    Exposure 0.25 sec (1/4)
    Aperture f/4.2
    Nikon D90

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 uns12345

5026936147_21a759908c_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

5027096467_3732193461_z.jpg

Submission time has closed.

best of luck to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 uns12345

Great entries everyone, the poll is up now and will finish officially at 9pm on 2nd October. Votes cast after 9pm will not be counted so please just don't!!!:D
    Best of luck everyone

Well Done uns12345 on running a very smooth operation
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ah balls didnt realsie i was too late....ah well it was never going to win anyways!

5032526685_b72fdcdb85_z.jpg

Ah balls didnt realsie i was too late....ah well it was never going to win anyways!

nice shot homer

Suggestion for the winner of this Challenge

(1)Allow the Entries From the Monday start date until the Wednesday week after it starts.
    Then allow Thurs/Fri/most of Sat for voting - with the winner announced at 9 pm (or whatever)on Saturday.

(2) Ask people not to say 'thanks' during the running of the competition.
    But then(once the voting starts) use the 'Thanks' system to choose a winner.
    Only one thanks per voter.

The Poll system is potentially open to all sorts of abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

keps wrote: »
    Suggestion for the winner of this Challenge

(1)Allow the Entries From the Monday start date until the Wednesday week after it starts.
    Then allow Thurs/Fri/most of Sat for voting - with the winner announced at 9 pm (or whatever)on Saturday.

(2) Ask people not to say 'thanks' during the running of the competition.
    But then(once the voting starts) use the 'Thanks' system to choose a winner.
    Only one thanks per voter.

The Poll system is potentially open to all sorts of abuse.

Could just make it a public poll, so no self voting happens

Might be better just to let it end when the poll closes whether it be 4.30am 6.36pm or whatever

public poll makes it totally transparent. so would elliminate some of the abuse

Maybe move this offsite to discuss.

The public poll allows me to vote immediately.

And then register again (new name)and vote again.

I have to say in this context that I watched the late voting in the 'Rule of Thirds' thread -and while there is no suggestion of any malpractice -the voting patterns late on were to say the least 'totally bizarre'.

Ebay eat your heart out.

The '25' vote embargo on the 'thanks' system was designed to circumvent certain abuses.

So I say why not use the better 'Thanks' system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Maybe move this offsite to discuss.

I have to say in this context that I watched the late voting in the 'Rule of Thirds' thread -and while there is no suggestion of any malpractice -the voting patterns late on were to say the least 'totally bizarre'.

Ebay eat your heart out.

The '25' vote embargo on the 'thanks' system was designed to circumvent certain abuses.

So I say why not use the better 'Thanks' system?

If people were going to go to all that bother just for an online fun comp, im sure it'll not bother them to have to go and troll on 25 different forums to be eligable for the thanks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

We need all challenges independently verified by a member of KPMG.

Q.E.D.

Ok - what you are are saying, and what I now totally accept is that I was being over worried about possible issues to do with the poll.

I am glad to accept your assurances - and will go with the flow:)

If people were going to go to all that bother just for an online fun comp, im sure it'll not bother them to have to go and troll on 25 different forums to be eligable for the thanks....

Just as a matter of interest, have you ever wondered why 'thanks' are only allowed after 25 posts.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

oh now i see, the poll is rigged and that's why i didn't receive a single vote. thank god I was beginning to think it was because my photo was crap:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I just feel it could get messy when people thank before the right time or thank multiple items. Poll is a bit neater, if its public you can check the users that voted if things look suspicious or for self voting. I don't see much point cheating for something which is just for fun but do think youre right about need to see who voting whether it be thanks or poll

Just as a matter of interest, have you ever wondered why 'thanks' are only allowed after 25 posts.?

i dont think it was introduced to prevent cheating in the photography forum :D

i know where you are coming from but i dont think anyone will cheat. and in fairness if they wanted to win so bad maybe they should spend there time practicing their photography rather than setting up several accounts

( but i think some people around here have different accounts but i dont really think it should be too much of an issue)

as for voting trends coming to the last few minutes ....... that will be no different than the thanks. if anything i find the photos near the end of the thread get more thanks because sometimes people will not go back through the whole thread to thank)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

My advice would be a public poll.

Different user names are unlikely on Boards and also illegal in regards to the terms and conditions, unfortunately some users to seem to slip through the nets. I also doubt they would be used specifically for rigging the results in these challenges.

The poll worked fine for the last one, so don't see why not and allows for better results than the Thanks system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Martron wrote: »
    public poll makes it totally transparent. so would elliminate some of the abuse

What abuse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Multiple accounts on boards.ie are greatly frowned upon and result in site bans for individuals, and yes, eventually they get found - there are certain reporting which run against user accounts and suggest that the account is a rereg or not.

To stop people simply registering to thank a particular post / poster / support your buddy for the sake of supporting them / to prevent rereg(s) from immediately thanking their own posts, etc., etc....

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    What abuse ?

i am not the one saying its abused. with a public poll you can see who voted so you could recognise if a photo won and you suspected multiple accounts you could see if someone voted for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

When did we lose the "fun" element?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

pete4130 wrote: »
    When did we lose the "fun" element?

When the one/one challenge started it appears.

• Advertisement

I personally have no vested interest other than as a participant who enjoys taking part.

So I will go with whatever is the consensus.

But I personally do not agree with a 'blind' poll.

A public poll seems like a good idea

The ONE/ONE challenge is only a few weeks old - it had in the past its critics(including me) and obviously still has.
    But with an idea that is evolving -some discussion is important

public poll is the way to go.

why enter it if you dont find it fun.
    i find it fun. in fact i like looking at the poll and watching the winner change.

i like the fact its tough to use my vote especially when there is lots of good pictures.

i like the way i only have one picture to be uploaded ( although some are bad there are the best of the bunch)

Surely from a photograhy point of view these are all fun things?

i agree with keps. its a new assignment. its not perfect. its close :D but it can be tweaked to make it more fun.

if you think the other assignemnt is "funner" enter that. simples!

Good. That's settled than, a public poll it is.

If there are any doubts about the results, send a PM to myself or one of the other mods as we can avail of the tools to doublecheck the results and ensure there aren't any re-regges.

Like Keps said, a bit of discussion is a good things, it means that the people involved care about these challenges and assignments. Up to now, they have been run very well from the active users here and it's fantastic to see new users getting involved and enjoying this subforum.

Keep up the good work and we'll keep watching from the background to ensure that all goes well!

Sorry I shoud know this but..

Is a public poll one where as well as having the poll graph/numbers you also see the people that voted?

Sorry I shoud know this but..

Is a public poll one where as well as having the poll graph/numbers you also see the people that voted?

Jup, thatta one, you will see how many voted for each and also who exactly voted.

sNarah wrote: »
    Jup, thatta one, you will see how many voted for each and also who exactly voted.

Thanks sNarah -and your input as a mod is really appreciated.

The ONE/ONE challenge is Martron's idea and we have being flying on a wing and a prayer just trying to keep it going and get some accepted guidelines in place.

Somebody asked ' where is the fun gone' .

But unless you have some kind of agreement and format - there is no fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Just wondering - I've been in the photo doldrums lately & I only came across this the other day. I am now inspired! When is the next one kicking off?

Thanks,

FoxT

FoxT wrote: »
    Just wondering - I've been in the photo doldrums lately & I only came across this the other day. I am now inspired! When is the next one kicking off?

Thanks,

FoxT

Well just checking - and it seems the clock has clicked over the poll end time!

So it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the winner is kev_Longshanks100.

Fantastic(and scary) shot - and a totally deserving winner

So it's up to the winner to set the new challenge.

The practice to date has been to set the ONE/ONE Challenge theme anytime on the Monday after winning -- so as not to interfere with the Assignment thread which has traditionally ended on a Sunday

But it's up to
    kev_Longshanks100 to decide on his(?) theme and timing.

ah sure, I was lurking and posting in here before I got the big fancy title anyway :)

All I want is for it all to go work out as it should and work well, with old and new users enjoying it. And I don't see that the fun disappeared but you do need some guidelines in order to make a work..

Oh well, that's enough mutterings from me- carry on!

And congrats KevLongshanks, cracking shot!

well done kevlongshanks.

great shot. ( how did you achieve the pure blackness while having light on the knife?)

Thanks guys!

Just logged on for 1st time this weekend. Will try and set new one tomorrow
    Martron wrote: »
    well done kevlongshanks.

great shot. ( how did you achieve the pure blackness while having light on the knife?)
    Magic! :D
    im on the phone at mins so hard to try too much, but set up details should be on flickr. Basically used a snot to aim light at knife and nothing else

• Advertisement

well done kevlongshanks.- great winning shot

Maybe Oshead and kev_Longshanks100 could have an off board chat -to ensure a bit of clear blue water between the upcoming themes?smile.gif

I wonder is there any merit in extending the ONE/ONE challenge 'time to enter' by a week this time around - so that the challenge/assignment would finish on alternate week-ends?

From discussion on the Assignment thread (although limited) I think a go ahead to extend the Challenge by one week on this occasion is accepted.

From discussion on the Assignment thread (although limited) I think a go ahead to extend the Challenge by one week on this occasion is accepted.

So I'll set the next challenge today? What deadline will it have?

So I'll set the next challenge today? What deadline will it have?

so a deadline of the Monday 18/10/2010 - with voting by public poll to commence then and to finish on Saturday 23rd October.

so a deadline of the Monday 18/10/2010 - with voting by public poll to commence then and to finish on Saturday 23rd October.

Will do after dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well done Kev Longshanks, I love how you've been making great pictures with "ordinary" subjects/resources lately. I'm often moaning about how I don't get much of a chance to get out and about and take pics, but you inspire me to get something done at home and shush up about it.

Advertisement