Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Nomad Mods

Options
  • 18-09-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Time again for another picture diary :)

This time it's the Sega Nomad, a portable Megadrive (Genesis to be precise) which never seen a European release... USA & Jap models only. This particular one is owned by o1s1n, and I've another one to do belonging to Andrew76...but both will be identically done.

There's a bunch of mods involved here, the first & most major one is the replacement screen. It was the first time I'd ever seen a Nomad in person, & when I powered it up it became evident how poor the original screens are. Heavy ghosting effects & washed out colours are the order of the day. So after 10 seconds of that, it was time to open her up.

The replacement screen is an unofficial screen, bought from dealxtreme which just so happens to be compatible with the Nomad...I suppose it's handy that it fits too :p The new screen has to be de-cased, and stripped to the bone. The old screen is then removed, and the new one centered & hot-glued in place. The hot glue gun works very well here, no faffing about with tape. The new screen is then insulated, and the control board fitted on top, hot glued again and the whole lot re-insulated.

The new screen gets it's power from a 10v live, found on the Nomad motherboard. The picture signal, comes instead form the s-video out port. Both the live & signal are also earthed, and that's more or less it. Four wires in total.

The other mods are a 50/60hz option, and a region option for games that support dual-languages. The 50/60hz mod works a little differently to the standard mod on the Megadrive because 60hz is the normal display mode, the Nomad doesn't do 50hz too well, and seems incompatible (screen goes b/w and it's slows a bit TOO much I feel). So the essential point of the 50hz mod, is to allow booting of games that are locked to 50hz, and once booted, revert to 60hz. I havn't got a multi-language cart, but according to the multi-meter, it's all working.

The tutorial I used here, details the difference in quality - it's immense. The new screen has a proper refresh rate so no ghosting at all, and the colours are vibrant and rich (that's not lifted from a Sony catalogue I swear). I used this tutorial for the region & display mods, except I changed the 50hz trigger to the mode button instead of start. When wired to the start button, the display shifts in position and goes black & white every time it's paused. Instead, I wired the trigger to the Mode button, so you just hold Mode down while booting to bypass 50hz locks, release it for an auto-switch back to 60hz. Do the same with the A button on booting for Jap language games.

All in all it's a nice little mod, and really adviseable to do for any Nomad owners out there.

Impending wedlock

2vvvxhu.jpg

Original screen (Camera doesn't convey how poor it is)

zl6gbb.jpg

The Nomad has a 4.5mm security torx, luckily I had one. Mine was slightly too thick, so some grinding had to be done so I could open the case...

2hefww6.jpg

Grinding done, I cracked open the egg

b6ebll.jpg

Guts

2zdqexx.jpg

New screen, hot glue drying.

104kaz9.jpg

Scren in place, insulated & light blocked.

2vc6r9x.jpg

The signal & earth wires in place, adjacent side has the 10v and other earth point.

2ibycdh.jpg

Thats the display side done, now onto the other half of the Nomad for the region & hz mod. You can see the internal project name on the pcb, Venus.

20gmfjk.jpg

JP3/4 control the display hertz. JP1/2 (not seen here) are the language jumpers.

n2lcmr.jpg

Jumpers cut, and selection wires attatched.

2wnacgn.jpg

This is the selection wire to the A button, the mode button was done accordingly.

2j2hvgn.jpg

The finished article, you have to see the difference in person really to appreciate it. It's akin to a dodgy rf lead being swapped for a gold plated RGB cable, seriously. I'm 99% happy with it, the screen is a tad low and to the left, so I'll crack it back open tomorrow and just reset the screen position, but otherwise it works brilliantly.

ouskk6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Woohoo!!! Exciting mod is exciting!

Talk about bringing a machine to life. It was more of a novelty before with the bad screen. Now I'll actually be able to play the damn thing...and all those PAL titles that haven't gone near it due to region lock. Ah..exciting stuff!

Thanks man!!! :)

Do you have some region locked games to try out? I really should have given you a lend of some. Will bring one along with the battery pack the day I'm picking it up.

Master of the Universe

Nice work on the region mod by the way. That explains why Kerbdog's one kept going black and white every time I paused! And I thought it was an issue with the screen auto detecting or something.

I think the only use for the mode button is some older Megadrive games won't boot properly with a 6 buttn pad. So you hold mode while it's starting up. Can't say its ever been something I've needed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice work on the region mod by the way. That explains why Kerbdog's one kept going black and white every time I paused! And I thought it was an issue with the screen auto detecting or something.

I think the only use for the mode button is some older Megadrive games won't boot properly with a 6 buttn pad. So you hold mode while it's starting up. Can't say its ever been something I've needed to do.

That was my impression on the Mode button too, it's far less used than Start - so the gaming experience is better this way. Most of the other forums I've visited use the mode button also, and nobody has reported an issue to date. Is there a list of Mode-incompatible games anywhere?

Master of the Universe

Well in all my years playing Megadrive games and using a 6 button pad, I can't say I've had to press the mode button on bootup even once. So I'm guessing it's a very small list. Or just for games I have absolutely no interest in playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Nice, you can see the difference in the pics, but I'm sure it's alot more satisfying to actually play it. Good work!

I'm more into this way of playing older games (on a genuine system - modded or not) instead of using a 360 or overpowered PC to play them with emulators, although it's nice having the option! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Congrats in joining the modded/improved Sega Nomad world :)
    Good pics and write up btw

On the screen position, that was a pain - really hard to get it centered. I used another video source while I was mounting it to ensure I got as much of the viewable screen centered correctly. Think I did an OK job, what yea think o1s1n?
    On using the start button for the video mode mod, it just made more sense to ensure the Nomad remained as compatible as possible yet, I still don't know what games will bork if yea use the mode button. I'm sure Ciderman should know

Master of the Universe

Wez wrote: »
    I'm more into this way of playing older games (on a genuine system - modded or not) instead of using a 360 or overpowered PC to play them with emulators, although it's nice having the option! :D

Right on, it's the only way to play older games. If you're using emulation ur doin' it wrong :pac:
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Think I did an OK job, what yea think o1s1n?

It was a thing of beauty. You pretty much convinced me (and Andrew) instantly that we needed to have it done to ours!

It was handed to me and I happily sat there playing Sonic up until Marble Zone level three. Then thought I was being a tad anti social so handed it to someone else! :pac:
    On using the start button for the video mode mod, it just made more sense to ensure the Nomad remained as compatible as possible yet, I still don't know what games will bork if yea use the mode button. I'm sure Ciderman should know

It's such a small number of games that it's a totally redundant button. I've close to 200 MD carts, play them all with a 6 button pad and have yet to have any issue. So it should be fine :)

/Edit - just did a bit of a google and the only titles I could find that need it are Decap attack, Golden Axe 2 (Can't say I've experienced this and I have both those games) and Forgotten Worlds.

Even if there was a large number of games that require it, it shouldn't interfere anyway.

You hold the mode button down on boot so that the console thinks it's a three button pad for that game and works.

So say you also have that hooked up to get around a region lock - it's not really going to make any difference. The mode button should still make the game think you're using a three button pad while also getting around the region lock.

Unless of course you've completely deactivated the button from it's primary function. But I take it that as your start button still pauses the game the mode button still works if used for the mod.

To top that off, most region locked games are later titles! Being later titles they're all compatable with the 6 button pad being connected so don't need the mode button.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Lovely work Enternow. :)

@KeRbDoG: Saw your handy work at the retro night and the new screen looked frickin awesome! Totally brings the Nomad back to life. :)

I'm more into this way of playing older games (on a genuine system - modded or not) instead of using a 360 or overpowered PC to play them with emulators

I'm the same, I sat and played the whole way through Starlight Zone last night on the Nomad. I havn't done that in YEARS, despite having being able to by 360/Wii/PC. Original is the only way to play.

I had it set to start initially, but any time you press it (Sonic 1 to begin a game for example), the whole screen has a conniption fit, and for me detracts from the experience. I seen some posts about using the Mode button, as it's FAR less used. I then changed it over, and thought it felt much more 'original', less interfered with, kind of dumb I know but the intention was to keep the Nomad as authentic as possible. Thats why I chose the switchless version of the mod too, I did't want an SPDT switch hanging out the side :p The compatibility issue is moot for the most part, but it's VERY easily changed back to the start button if the lads are having problems.
    Unless of course you've completely deactivated the button from it's primary function. But I take it that as your start button still pauses the game the mode button still works if used for the mod.

To top that off, most region locked games are later titles! Being later titles they're all compatable with the 6 button pad being connected so don't need the mode button.

Yeah the Start button still paused the game, and shifted the display at the same time. I could ad an external switch at the back or something, and control the display with that if you guys wanted, but I personally think it's unnecessary.

Master of the Universe

It's not going to be a problem at all. I'm 100% happy that you used the mode button. I've never pressed it once in all the time I've had my Nomad. And as you said, I'd much rather that then have extra buttons on the case. Why stick extra buttons on when there's one sitting there that's completely unused.

As a matter of interest, I just tried out Decap Attack and Golden Axe II with a 6 button pad. Both work perfectly fine. Perhaps they fixed the issue by the time the games were released in PAL land.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, I just tried out Decap Attack and Golden Axe II with a 6 button pad. Both work perfectly fine. Perhaps they fixed the issue by the time the games were released in PAL land.

As I said, most of the lads have reported absoloutely zero issues this way. If you run into trouble though, I can very easily set it back to that start button but I've a feeling you'll prefer it this way. And that's not saying "Mine is better than yours!!! to Kerbdog :pac: The fact is after completeting this mod on his own Nomad, he'll understand how easy it is to switch between mode & start if he feels the need.

I also re-centered the screen today, it's actually a bit tricky to get it 100% because the Nomad seems to render the image in a slightly different position each boot (Very slightly, I'm talking mm's here if even). But all is done, I'm much happier with it today. I actually don't wanna give it back now, very cool little device. Hey o1s1n, trade ya for a gimped game gear?? :pac::D

Master of the Universe

That's really odd about the nomad repositioning the image. Sounds like you're talking about such small measurements it really doesn't matter anyway. So I wouldn't worry about it.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Hey o1s1n, trade ya for a gimped game gear?? :pac::D

I tell you what, that and a broken Atari2600 and we have a deal :p

The fact that you can replace the screen should be a huge bonus while looking for one. Sometimes you'll see a Nomad with a broken screen going for peanuts because people just don't know how to fix them.

But yeah, get one! Feck the Retrogen and Genmobile I mentioned earlier, we need more of the real deal in this country :) I'll keep an eye out for you while doing my usual ebay rounds.

That's really odd about the nomad repositioning the image. Sounds like you're talking about such small measurements it really doesn't matter anyway. So I wouldn't worry about it.

You won't notice a thing, trust me. The OCD man inside me wouldn't give it back to you unless it was officially stamped with my seal of finished approval - which it now is :p

Edit that link out damn you :D:pac:

Wonder how much shipping would be for that US one.. My eyes lit up when I saw adverts earlier, but EN was in there before me! :P

Wonder how much shipping would be for that US one.. My eyes lit up when I saw adverts earlier, but EN was in there before me! :P

I emailed about the shipping, it's €2500 from the states, priority/insured. Too pricey for me ;)

Go away Wez, your getting all the jtags on adverts so leave the rest of us get something nice :pac::pac:

:D lil bit..

:P

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah the Start button still paused the game, and shifted the display at the same time. I could ad an external switch at the back or something, and control the display with that if you guys wanted, but I personally think it's unnecessary.

Should I ever see that Nomad again (Ciderman has a history of trading my consoles) I will change it over to using the mode button :pac:

Master of the Universe

We came across an issue with the mode button but I've found a way around it. Just for your info Kerbdog!

If you're booting a PAL region locked game with a 6 button pad and hold down mode on boot (to get around the region lock) it disables the top three bottons. (Which is the mode buttons primary function)

So you end up with a 6 button game but only 3 button functionality. I tested this with both Street Fighter II and Ranger X. Happens with both.

There is a way around it though! (hurrah!)

The 3 button switch over when you press hold starts on boot.

The region check doesn't happen till after the TMSS screen (that bit at the start about being licensed by sega enterprises etc)

So to get 6 button PAL games working with all buttons and using the mode button as a region switch, do the following -

Let the console boot up normally without pressing anything. This means the console will have six buttons all working.

As soon as the TMSS screen vanishes, THEN press mode immediately. This will get around the region lock.

Works a charm every time! :)

This is pretty much a confirmation that as far as the mode button goes, we're back up to 100% compatability. It's the button to go for with this mod.

These arn't the buttons your looking for...move along...move along.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the follow up o1s1n - now, will I ever see that Nomad again I wonder? :D

Goes against all the minimalistic work shown here, but what an idea!

Link.

And some good competition for the Nomads.. :P

Link 2.

Advertisement