Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West wicklow DTT relay station?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

In the last 2 weeks there seems to be a new transmission of a DTT signal in the West Wicklow area. Transmitting on channel 47 and only requiring mild amplification and an outdoor aerial. The specific area is Donard just off the N81 near Baltinglass. Aerial pointing east. There has never been an analogue transmission in this direction before. The only reference to channel 47 that I can find that might be available in the area is Cairn hill but for the face that it's in the wrong direction and it is almost impossible to get in this specific area. Has anyone got any idea where it's coming from and is it likely to be a permanent fixture?

Comments

You could possibly get cairn hill ch 47 up there even if not getting analogue.
    Can you get ch47 if pointing west/northwest? have you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried in this location but it is blocked by trees and a hill, though Cairn hill can be received from nearby, but it's not very good. I'm just curious where I am getting this signal from. I may just have to see if I can locate the transmitter.
    If this is a permanent fixture it would be great as both Mt Leinster and Kippure can be a struggle.

Analogue can be vey bad and yet you can have dtt.
    It operates on different parameters altogether.
    I'd imagine it is a flukey cairn hill that you are getting there.
    If you swing the aerial round the right way for it - you should have more signal as it's coming in off the back of your aerial as it is.
    dtt unlike analogue can weave it's way round hills and all sorts of terrain by the way as long as you aren't right in the lee of a hill.

I was afraid that could be the answer. This is definitely only available in the last few weeks and is not just a weather affected occurrence. have tried turning the aerial around completely to no avail. Pointing east is the best signal. Just to add I have been able to receive this signal from a few houses up to about 6 klm further to the east too. Aerials pointed east pick up the signal but pointed north west do not. Also tried with different aerials too but little or no difference in signal strength.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5962FB63-6F77-49F9-BD65-A7B1A76036F2/0/DevelopmentofaNationalPolicyFrameworkforIdentifyingSpectrumfortheDigitalDividend.doc

Have a look at the ch 47 permissions there-page 17 and 18

You have to be getting cairn hill bouncing around to you somehow.
    Nothing else remotely near you is or could be on 47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5962FB63-6F77-49F9-BD65-A7B1A76036F2/0/DevelopmentofaNationalPolicyFrameworkforIdentifyingSpectrumfortheDigitalDividend.doc

Have a look at the ch 47 permissions there-page 17 and 18

You have to be getting cairn hill bouncing around to you somehow.
    Nothing else remotely near you is or could be on 47

Extract from above link attached

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.
    I was hoping for a nice clear cut answer. Should have known better. I don't like the idea of a bouncing signal(it never worked well for analogue).
    Over the long term I wonder how stable this signal will be?

It depends.
    They are still working on these transmitters and will be increasing the power from them.
    Can you get mt leinster there on ch45 or 54 from kippure?

Nestled with closeby hills around you would be a difficulty.

What group aerial are you using?
    A Good group B is what you need even for kippure.

In this instance there was a triax grid on the house but I did try an FTE Y10uf, the difference didn't justify replacing the grid aerial.
    The Y10uf is handy for Mt Leinster but does work slightly better for Kippure as would be confirmed by the spec sheet. I don't get much call using it for Cairn hill. Can't use group B for Mt Leinster as most people still want to be able to get TV3 on analogue(Who am I to judge the content they watch:D).
    Do you have a group B recommendation?

Advertisement