Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2010, 18:50   #1
deathrider

Arcades In Galway City

I've recently moved to Galway City to attend college, but the gamer in me, as always, wants more games. So I've been wondering if there are any good arcades around these parts? Somewhere that I can blow a few quid shooting zombies, and fighting ninjas.
Advertisement
10-09-2010, 19:10   #2
RolandIRL
Closed Account

yep, squareyes is on forster street (just between the bus station and tourist office). it's a good internet cafe and gaming arcade. really nice set-up as well. comfy chairs
btw check out the Gamer Group in my sig. a bunch of us boardsies meet up for sessions in there, and we're going to start having LANs soon
10-09-2010, 21:47   #3
deathrider

Yeah, I've heard about Square Eyes. I think I'll be dropping down during the week to check it out. But is it an arcade kinda arcade? The kind with arcade cabinets that eat your cash in exchange for a few credits?
Oh, I'm already on that site too. Joined a few months ago, before I moved
10-09-2010, 21:50   #4
RolandIRL
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider View Post
Yeah, I've heard about Square Eyes. I think I'll be dropping down during the week to check it out. But is it an arcade kinda arcade? The kind with arcade cabinets that eat your cash in exchange for a few credits?
no i don't think it's that kind of an arcade. it's all computers afaik. no coin-based arcade games.
you could play some arcade games on your computer. check out the Arcade & Retro forum and i'm sure they'll be able to help ya
10-09-2010, 21:50   #5
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
The only arcades as such are Seapoint out in Salthill, City Limits in Oranmore and the Leisure Dome down on the Headford Road though there is little variance in games between them.
Advertisement
10-09-2010, 21:51   #6
The Freeman

afaik square eyes is more console/pc based arcade games.

for actual throw a euro in and kill zombies, head out to salthill and head in to seapoint, lived half of my childhood playing Virtua Striker 2 in there.

there was funworld above supermacs but that is closed many a year i'm afraid mate.
11-09-2010, 01:56   #7
deathrider

I'll check the one on Salt Hill out. Yeah, I also spent most of my youth in arcades (mostly on Killer Instinct, and Mortal Kombat II), so I'll defo give this place a spin.
I'm not too into the idea of downloading arcade classics onto the PC. It's more for the feel of the arcade itself. The lights and the noise go a long way.
Thanks from:
11-09-2010, 11:23   #8
boneyarsebogman

Send a message via MSN to boneyarsebogman
Quote:
I'll check the one on Salt Hill out. Yeah, I also spent most of my youth in arcades (mostly on Killer Instinct, and Mortal Kombat II), so I'll defo give this place a spin.
I'm not too into the idea of downloading arcade classics onto the PC. It's more for the feel of the arcade itself. The lights and the noise go a long way.
The games in those places mostly consist of the shooting ones and the racing ones, with little or no variation between them. Funworld, that used to be above the Supermacs in Eyre Square, was great fun and I spent a fortune in there.
11-09-2010, 14:09   #9
deathrider

It's the same in most arcades these days though. All racers and shooters. Kinda mindless gaming with no learning curve. Personally I miss the old fighting era in arcades... And Metal Slug! I can't even begin to think how much money I pumped into the original Metal Slug game back in the day.
Advertisement
11-09-2010, 14:24   #10
A-Trak
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Personally I miss the old fighting era in arcades...
You might like us over in the Fighting Games forum so...

We have regular tournaments, and it's as close to the old fighting era, (For old timers anyway,) in arcades
11-09-2010, 14:46   #11
deathrider

I visit those forums fairly regularly, bro. Though I don't post too often. I even traveled round for one of the SSFIV tournys a few months back. Granted, I had my head kicked in, but I had great craic in the process. I've completely altered my style since, in an attempt to become a better fighter.
Next time I can afford to get to a tournament, I'll surely be there to test my mettle again.
Cheers, dude.

On that subject though, does there be Street Fighting tournaments around Galway? I pretty much only paid attention to the threads about ones in and around Dublin, because I was living in Drogheda at the time.
Thanks from:
11-09-2010, 15:01   #12
Skerries

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyarsebogman View Post
. Funworld, that used to be above the Supermacs in Eyre Square, was great fun and I spent a fortune in there.
i remember visiting funworld years ago when i was in Galway on the piss
It was a time based system where you paid for the amount of time you were there and not a pay per play
11-09-2010, 15:51   #13
o1s1n

The classic days of arcades in Ireland are long gone. The ones that are left really arent worth bothering with

Quote:
And Metal Slug! I can't even begin to think how much money I pumped into the original Metal Slug game back in the day.
Would you ever consider getting your own cab? There are a good few of us over in the arcade and retro forum that have them and I have to tell you, there's nothing like it!

There's an arcade standard called JAMMA. More or less every game you'd probably want to play is JAMMA. You just plug it into your cabinet.

I'm mainly into Neo Geo games myself. Have a 6 slot Neo Geo board in mine at the moment. So you can have six games in it at once. By far the one that gets played most is Metal Slug. I love that game so much!
11-09-2010, 16:13   #14
Dunjohn

Quote:
On that subject though, does there be Street Fighting tournaments around Galway? I pretty much only paid attention to the threads about ones in and around Dublin, because I was living in Drogheda at the time.
There's not really. I don't know any other Galwegians who play Street Fighter, so any tournaments I've been to were in Dublin. Limerick holds some too. I did check Squareyes a few months ago, to see if something could be arranged, but their setup isn't really suited to fighting tournaments. It's pitch-dark, for a start.

Seapoint in Salthill is really lightweight these days. They do have a cab with loads of old Capcom games on it, including SF1 and SF2, but it's been broken every time I've checked for the last good while. I also remember the glory days of Killer Instinct in there....
11-09-2010, 16:54   #15
Malice

Send a message via Skype™ to Malice
While we're on a nostalgia trip, does anyone remember the Savoy on Eglington Street? I used to wander in there after school and play many of the old classics - Final Fight, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II etc. I remember the place being packed the day that they got in the new Champion Edition of SFII with everyone marvelling at being able to play as the previously unselectable boss characters.

I wonder whatever happened to that premises as the arcade was all underground and has been closed up since the mid-nineties at least.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion