Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby steps...training log of a total noob...help wanted

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am a total noob to running & this section of boards, feel free to criticise or point me towards the right direction (existing threads or whatever).

I am a skinny veggie (32), who drinks/smokes to much, has ankylosing spondylitis and does not do much/any exercise. I intend to do a half marathon next may & i intend to do this 'comfortably' in 2hrs 30.

I have gone for a 30 min 'run' around a 400meter (*all distances and times according to my phone - is this accurate?) circuit infront of my flat Friday, Monday & Wednesday past & it was the first time I have really broke a sweat in years -

Friday - 3.5k total - walk a lap, run a lap - max 11.2kmph - avg 8.2 kmph
    Monday - 4k total - walk half a lap - ran 3 together (once) - max 12kmph, avg = did not take down :(
    Wednesday - 4.5 Km total - ran 2k in one go!!! - max = 9.8kmph - avg = 9kmph

My first goal is to run (hopefully 5K) for 30 mins without feeling like death at the end. I am delighted with my progress so far, although my legs are screaming "what the f*ck is happening" & I am absolutely fecked at the end of my run.

any thoughts or opinions are more than welcome... although my immediate concern is - runners -

I have been running in something like...
    2e51_1.jpg But given the med condition I really think I should get new runners sooner rather than later.... what do I need to look for? I think I will be mainly training on road/footpath.

I went into Elvery's on the way home today and was told "for a half marathon you should look at the €100ish range, most people go for asics, look over there..." but any I tried (off the shelf) didn't seem as cushioned as a pair of €46 "Geox net" that I tried on in TKmax earlier.... Similar to...
    zapatilla_deportiva_geox_net_alpha.jpg

what do you think, should I go for the cheap option now & upgrade or bite the bullet and buy a top end pair now? how long does a pair of runners last a 'real' runner?

as said above, all opinion, advice & criticism more than welcome & thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs :)

In terms of shoes - it would be worthwhile going to a proper running shop (Runways in Parnell St, Amphibian King in Bray etc) and getting a gait analysis done. This will give you an idea of what would be the right sort of shoe for you. The recommendation you get will be a shoe that's most suited to your foot type and needs, it may not be the cheapest or dearest shoe in the range. Given your medical condition though, it may be worth also having a discussion with your doctor about how it will affect your running.

I know I change my shoes about every 300-350 miles, which is probably towards the low end of how much wear people get out of their shoes. I'm horribly hard on my shoes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

thanks for the (quick) response...

I don't get to Dublin much, can anyone recommend a "proper running shop" in the whest (preferably Galway)?
    has anyoune used foot solutions?

regarding the med condition, I need to visit my rheumatologist fairly soon, & it will be my first question especially as I know that running (on road) is not one of the sports that someone with AS shouldn't really take up. but the medication I have been on for the last 4 years has given me a new lease of life... I have gone from struggling to put on my socks and wincing every time I step off a kerb to going on a few ski holidays along with climbing Nephin & Croak Patrick.... but it is still very something that I am very aware of... after my first run i felt a familiar twinge in my right shoulder, this hasn't been since as i now know I need to concentrate on relaxing my shoulders. Also the back strap/belt I picked up in ldle for €4 before run 3 prevented the slight twinges in my lower back - the 2 area's that probable permanent damage has already been done..

*disclaimer* I know boards is not a medical forum, I know advice taken is at my own risk, but I want to let everyone know where i a coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We don't offer medical advice on here, but I followed the ankylosing spondylitis link and it says
    All physical therapies must be approved in advance by a rheumatologist, since movements that normally have great benefits to one's health may harm a patient with AS; massages and physical manipulations should only be practiced by therapists familiar with this disease. Some of the therapies that have been shown to benefit AS patients include:
    Moderate-to-high impact exercises like jogging are generally not recommended or recommended with restrictions due to the jarring of affected vertebrae that can worsen pain and stiffness in some patients.

Are you sure running is for you?

I picked up the Geox today and broke them in this eve, very comfy.

time 30:00
    distance 4.5km
    avg speed 9kmph

there wan an "unsocial" drinking on a bench in my 400m circuit and I felt a bit daft running passed him every few minutes so I hit the paths, not bad, but I need to find a nice route.
    RayCun wrote: »
    Are you sure running is for you?

Not sure yet, currently the muscles in my legs are saying no but I'm gonna give it a go. It will be an amazing achievement for me if I manage to complete 13miles The medication I am on Enbrel is brilliant and has halted the progression my AS, although there is still some existing damage.

I stumbled accross this blog by a marathon runner, who was diagnosed with AS.

surprisingly, my legs felt decent when I finished work today, so I decided to go for a run this eve. I ran 3k straight (no walking) in 20 minutes & then I called it a day. Personally I am stunned at my progress after only 2 hrs running, I hope I can keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

surprisingly, my legs felt decent when I finished work today, so I decided to go for a run this eve. I ran 3k straight (no walking) in 20 minutes & then I called it a day. Personally I am stunned at my progress after only 2 hrs running, I hope I can keep it up.

Good work so far. I remember reading about Mick Mars and his issues with AS in Mötley Crüe, it sounds like a dreadful disease. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Congrats on your progress so far.

Can I suggest you drop Hal Higdon into Google and start looking at his 5k programmes, repeat as many weeks as you need to to get comfortable with the distance - then move on to 5 miles, then 10k etc etc. I found a structured programme was the best way to increase mileage safely. I know you're up against it - Good Luck

I'm working lates this week, so won't get much chance for a run, so I decided to push myself on today's run (day off) & managed to hit my first target.

5.5km in 30 mins, without stopping :D I was shagged out after, but I'm delighted. As mr slow suggested I plan in keeping to my 30min runs until they become 'comfortable' and will push on from there.

However, I am starting to doubt my phone's data - my top speed was 45kmph (& i don't think I hit that no matter how much I am improving).

I'm working lates this week, so won't get much chance for a run, so I decided to push myself on today's run (day off) & managed to hit my first target.

5.5km in 30 mins, without stopping :D I was shagged out after, but I'm delighted. As mrs slow suggested I plan in keeping to my 30min runs until they become 'comfortable' and will push on from there.

However, I am starting to doubt my phone's data - my top speed was 45kmph (& i don't think I hit that no matter how much I am improving).

Well done and by the way it's Mr Slow.;)

mrslow wrote: »
    Well done and by the way it's Mr Slow.;)

thank's & edited :)

• Advertisement

4.9km in 30:35 on Sat, an new route - 2 laps around the 'block' I'm finding the footpaths a bit irritating....up down, up down, stop* to let the odd car in, safe cross code,& pedestrians.... I felt relatively good after it though and no leg pains the next day.

No run on Sunday or Monday I said I would leave it until this eve when my better half was in college.

This eve I set off to a different track that I spotted on google earth, a small loop and a larger loop connected by a straight - o_0 if that makes sense. I looked at my phone after 20 mins (constant) and had done 3.1 km, I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to go to the other side of the river corrib and see what the grounds of NUIG had to offer. I was impressed.

the next time I looked at my phone I found that it had gone a bit mental. The time had gone back to 3.14 this morning and my gps said I had done 20,000km+ :mad:. So I reset the gps & carried on in a run/walk (especially when I took a phone call* & replied to a text) for a bit fashion. when I got home I found that i had been out about 1hr 10 mins & my phone showed an extra 5.1km. & I feel OKish after it - legs are a little tender.

I think I did about 8.5 km in 1hr 10min. I have said that I doubt the stats on my phone, but I checked the distance of the block on google maps & it matches up.

whilst on the subject of phones, can anyone recommend any apps for my phone (see link above)... I'm looking for something that measures distance/time and lets me get into the MP3 player at the same time - not sure if it exists though.

*when I stopped to let cars pass I kept running on the spot & when I answered the phone call I used the headset as I already had the headphones in & looked like a loon that was talking to himself - I have sniggered at people doing this in the past & I am sorry - both seemed pretty instinctive.

4.9km in 30:35 on Sat, an new route - 2 laps around the 'block' I'm finding the footpaths a bit irritating....up down, up down, stop* to let the odd car in, safe cross code,& pedestrians.... I felt relatively good after it though and no leg pains the next day.

No run on Sunday or Monday I said I would leave it until this eve when my better half was in college.

This eve I set off to a different track that I spotted on google earth, a small loop and a larger loop connected by a straight - o_0 if that makes sense. I looked at my phone after 20 mins (constant) and had done 3.1 km, I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to go to the other side of the river corrib and see what the grounds of NUIG had to offer. I was impressed.

the next time I looked at my phone I found that it had gone a bit mental. The time had gone back to 3.14 this morning and my gps said I had done 20,000km+ :mad:. So I reset the gps & carried on in a run/walk (especially when I took a phone call* & replied to a text) for a bit fashion. when I got home I found that i had been out about 1hr 10 mins & my phone showed an extra 5.1km. & I feel OKish after it - legs are a little tender.

I think I did about 8.5 km in 1hr 10min. I have said that I doubt the stats on my phone, but I checked the distance of the block on google maps & it matches up.

whilst on the subject of phones, can anyone recommend any apps for my phone (see link above)... I'm looking for something that measures distance/time and lets me get into the MP3 player at the same time - not sure if it exists though.

*when I stopped to let cars pass I kept running on the spot & when I answered the phone call I used the headset as I already had the headphones in & looked like a loon that was talking to himself - I have sniggered at people doing this in the past & I am sorry - both seemed pretty instinctive.

Get thee a Garmin and keep the phone for music. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&ra=true

mrslow wrote: »
    Get thee a Garmin and keep the phone for music. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&ra=true

thanks, but I don't really have €200 to spend on a watch.

visitors calling up tomorrow & all going well a friends baby's head to be wetted at over the weekend. So even though the legs felt a bit sore today I decided to go for a leisurely trot this eve.... 6.5km in 45 min.

Legs are sore & the back is a little achey so a few day's rest coming up, & no more running until Friday at least (when I take my injection). still very happy with my progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great progress 3greenrizlas.
    I had a few joint issues a few years back and I remember having minor panic attacks over the thought of it being AS. Thankfully it wasn't. Am I right in thinking that the medication your on prevents further damage so if the joints involved in running aren't already damaged then theoretically you should be ok? (Not med advice I'm just asking!). I hope you get the thumbs up from the rheumatolgist now you've found how much you enjoy running.

Re achy legs etc... if I was running on footpaths a lot I'd feel it. Is there anywhere you could go to vary the surface you run on? e.g track, around a football field or a forest trail or something?

O hang on I just noticed you mentioned NUIG. Perfect running place around the pitches would be much easier on your legs.

littlebug wrote: »
    ........Am I right in thinking that the medication your on prevents further damage so if the joints involved in running aren't already damaged then theoretically you should be ok?....

.......I just noticed you mentioned NUIG. Perfect running place around the pitches would be much easier on your legs.

Thanks for the reply, Yes Theoretically Enbrel (an absolute wonder-drug) prevents any further damage, but it is still something I am keeping in the front of my mind... 4 years ago there were many mornings where I could not put on my socks, and there is some irreversible damage done to my lower back and right shoulder.

the current pains in my legs are nothing to do with AS though, just a result of using muscles that I haven't used for years :o

yeah, nuig has some very nice run's & a very good mix of surfaces, I think it's going to be a regular haunt.

>>>edit>>> friday, 3km 20 mins, it was a nice & sunny out.

shocked that it's been 3+ months since I have updated this thread, but in the meantime I have not been out much (excuses, excuses... sick, working late, dark evenings. cold). in the meantime I have only done about 40km which includes 5km on my in-laws treadmill and 10km in the last week. I am still managing 5km in approx 30 minutes but just about & not with any comfort.

I have also seen my rheumy who has given me the go ahead, he has paitents with AS that do triathlons and my brother (also aiming to complete the half marathon & has a milder form of AS) was told by his rheumy that "going for a run is better than getting no exercise"

still 4 months to build to the half marathon, but still a lot of work to do.

i'm back & still putting in a few miles couple of times a week... getting a bit worried about getting to my target though (half marathon, mid may). I went for a long one at the weekend and managed 11km in 1:17:44 in a run(jog)/walk fashion. but I'm finding it hard to keep myself motivated - I think I need a running buddy.

I've just signed up for the ray darcy 5K in Galway so I can get some 'race day' experience (along with a goodie bag).

any advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Now that the weather's on the up and the evenings and mornings are brighter you'll find it easier to get motivated! Try a bit of off-road for variety too - parks, forest trails, that sort of thing - can be a really pleasant experience, compared to the usual pavement bashing...especially for long slow weekend runs.

brownian wrote: »
    Now that the weather's on the up and the evenings and mornings are brighter you'll find it easier to get motivated! Try a bit of off-road for variety too - parks, forest trails, that sort of thing - can be a really pleasant experience, compared to the usual pavement bashing...especially for long slow weekend runs.

Thanks Brownian - Agreed It's great top see the stretch in the evenings & blue skies & I'm not a fan of the pavement's
    ......I'm finding the footpaths a bit irritating....up down, up down, stop to let the odd car in, safe cross code,& pedestrians.......

I do have a nice area nearby (NUIG) which has a decent variety of surfaces.
    university_grounds.png

I might actually head there again this afternoon even though I already done a poor 4.5 this morning, but I wasn't really into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The path from the Orbsen building along the Corrib to Dangan is pretty nice, if you can get past all the "don't come here after dark or bad things happen" signs!

• Advertisement

15k today :) ran the first 10 in -57mins :) walked the rest. I think i'm back on track.

OK - 1 week to go to the big day, I've handed over the entry fee, so no going back. I have managed to do two 20km runs over the last couple of weeks, along with a few 5k's.

the first 20K I did in 2 hrs 10 mins :)
    the second took me 2hrs 30 :( & my legs were fecked after it.

What should my plan be for this week?
    what should I be looking at time-wise?

PB - half marathon 2:18:28

well done me. I found it tough though and had to walk most of the last 5k & was sore yesterday. Still hit my target & i'm chuffed. think i'll keep it going but I need to put more structure on my training.

Advertisement