Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do the Irish Skeptics get up to?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm over in Australia at the moment, but I was thinking of getting a bit more involved in the 'skeptical movement' (if ya like :)) when I get back home. In that regard, it seems natural to join the Irish Skeptics!

I'm just wondering if some of ye members can give a bit of info on what you guys get up to during the year?

I'm familiar with the Skeptics in the Pub (and hope that I'll be attending a few of them :)), but other than that I haven't really heard of any activities or meetings or publications -- can ye clarify?

Just looking to meet some like-minded people I suppose, and keep myself intellectually engaged! :D

p.s. While I've been interested in 'skepticism' and science for years now, last night's drink-induced discussion/debate with 4 of my mates I'm living with has made me acutely aware of how different my viewpoint is theirs! :eek: I think I held my own for the most part ;), but they weren't receptive to a lot of the points I made.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dave! wrote: »
    last night's drink-induced discussion/debate with 4 of my mates I'm living with has made me acutely aware of how different my viewpoint is theirs [...] they weren't receptive to a lot of the points I made.
    Get used to it -- a lot of people are happier accepting the word of somebody who proposes a villainous conspiracy resting upon mountains of shite, than they are doing the hard work necessary to understand something properly. It's just human psychology, I'm afraid!
    Dave! wrote: »
    it seems natural to join the Irish Skeptics!
    When are you back in Dublin? The Skeptics in the Pub meet fairly regularly and the Irish Skeptics lecture series should be cranking up at some point within the next six to eight weeks. The latter will be announced here and over in the Atheists and Agnostics forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

The next Irish SitP is on next Saturday 11/9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

robindch wrote: »
    Get used to it -- a lot of people are happier accepting the word of somebody who proposes a villainous conspiracy resting upon mountains of shite, than they are doing the hard work necessary to understand something properly. It's just human psychology, I'm afraid!When are you back in Dublin? The Skeptics in the Pub meet fairly regularly and the Irish Skeptics lecture series should be cranking up at some point within the next six to eight weeks. The latter will be announced here and over in the Atheists and Agnostics forum :)
    I won't be back until April, but I'll start going to the SITP once I do get home :)

Is there any kind of 'community', so to speak, of skeptics in Ireland? I mean would joining the Irish Skeptics be a good way to meet people of a similar mindset, or do people tend to just go along to the lectures and then go home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 UCC Philosoph

Paul O'Donoghue of Irish Skeptics is speaking in UCC on Monday November 1st. The UCC Philosophical Society and Medical Society are hosting a debate on the motion That This House Believes Alternative Medicine Does more Harm than Good. Professor Thomas Cotter of the UCC Biochemistry, Orla Broderick of the Irish Homeopath Society and MP David Tredinnick will be speaking. It is on at 19.30 in Kane G19 on UCC Main Campus. All are welcome.

• Advertisement

Sweet as !

Advertisement