Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm just too good to be true

Options
  • 28-08-2010 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

In brief, I have started running middle of July of this year.
    I ran for 3 months last year but stopped because of illness. My best mile time was 5:49 and I have only raced this distance once(last year)
    My aim is to break a 5 minute mile before the year is out in an official race
    I will post training and race results in this thread.

Tonight, roughly 6 weeks into training I completed 8 by 400m (78 sec average)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have you seen this thread?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056013145
    You should check in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Yep, thats what inspired this log :). Im sure there will be a few more sub 5 logs because of it, great thread it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

RandyMann wrote: »
    In brief, I have started running middle of July of this year.
    I ran for 3 months last year but stopped because of illness. My best mile time was 5:49 and I have only raced this distance once(last year)
    My aim is to break a 5 minute mile before the year is out in an official race
    I will post training and race results in this thread.

Tonight, roughly 6 weeks into training I completed 8 by 400m (78 sec average)

What kind of training have you done for the past 6wks Randy?

Speedy44 wrote: »
    What kind of training have you done for the past 6wks Randy?

Hi speedy, the following is a cut/paste from a thread I started regarding a sub 19min 5k thread.

Ok, update on my progress.
    I am doing 1 km intervals, 5 off at a pace of 3:50 with a 2 minute walk rest in between, once a week.
    My 400m intervals, I do 10 reps at a pace of 1:20 with a 60 sec walk rest in between, once a week
    I do a fast 5k at roughly 20:30 once a week.
    I also cross train 2 days a week with weights, the day after my interval sessions and that also includes recovery run of 30 mins on treadmill.
    My long slow run on a sunday morning is now an eight mile at roughly 65-70 minutes.
    My running is outdoors, 4 times a week, so with 4 weeks left of training, does a sub 19 5 k look possible?
    Bearing in mind, I have not done any flat out 5ks since last post here.
    Last edited by RandyMann; 20-08-2010 at 17:39. Reason: left out details
    user_online.gifreport.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Hi speedy, the following is a cut/paste from a thread I started regarding a sub 19min 5k thread.

Ok, update on my progress.
    I am doing 1 km intervals, 5 off at a pace of 3:50 with a 2 minute walk rest in between, once a week.
    My 400m intervals, I do 10 reps at a pace of 1:20 with a 60 sec walk rest in between, once a week
    I do a fast 5k at roughly 20:30 once a week.
    I also cross train 2 days a week with weights, the day after my interval sessions and that also includes recovery run of 30 mins on treadmill.
    My long slow run on a sunday morning is now an eight mile at roughly 65-70 minutes.
    My running is outdoors, 4 times a week, so with 4 weeks left of training, does a sub 19 5 k look possible?
    Bearing in mind, I have not done any flat out 5ks since last post here.
    Last edited by RandyMann; 20-08-2010 at 17:39. Reason: left out details
    user_online.gifreport.gif

looks like a very good base Randy, looking at that I'd say you nailed the sub 19?

• Advertisement

No, not yet, plan to try it on Sept. 26th in Dublin so I have 3 weeks left of training with a week of relative rest leading up to it.
    I did a 2 mile track race on last wed that did not go well at all but I will write that one off for experience :)
    If I dont do it on the day, no big deal though as I'm really enjoying the training now and my main objective is to stay injury free and set these short term goals to keep the interest.
    I seem to have the speed but its maintaining it is what I am working at the moment.

Right, back in training after a 4 month lay off. Started back in club running last week with pyramid session, 200m,400m,600m,800m,600m,400m200m. Rests between were 45sec,60sec,75sec,60sec,45sec respectivlely.
    Times were :40, 1:22, 2:15, 2:55, 2:14, 1:20, :34 respectivley.
    Next Tues will be 8 * 400 intervals.
    Did a recovery run on Wed, 10k run on Thur, 5K tempo run on Sat, mixed with 2 days a week gym work/weights etc.
    My plan is to stay injury free/healthy to attempt sub 5min mile on BHAA track meet 27th July (Aviva Mile).
    Will post 400m interval times next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Right, back in training after a 4 month lay off. Started back in club running last week with pyramid session, 200m,400m,600m,800m,600m,400m200m. Rests between were 45sec,60sec,75sec,60sec,45sec respectivlely.
    Times were :40, 1:22, 2:15, 2:55, 2:14, 1:20, :34 respectivley.
    Next Tues will be 8 * 400 intervals.
    Did a recovery run on Wed, 10k run on Thur, 5K tempo run on Sat, mixed with 2 days a week gym work/weights etc.
    My plan is to stay injury free/healthy to attempt sub 5min mile on BHAA track meet 27th July (Aviva Mile).
    Will post 400m interval times next week.

Hey RandyMann

Was just wondering what kind injury you were layed off with? Have you done any base work before your started sessions or did you just jump straight back into them?

ecoli wrote: »
    Hey RandyMann

Was just wondering what kind injury you were layed off with? Have you done any base work before your started sessions or did you just jump straight back into them?
    Hi Ecoli,
    I didn't get a running injury but got sick and then with the bad weather, it just got put on the long finger for returning to training, lazyness, excuses etc.
    I did a couple of 10k runs before returning to club training and I went straight into the beginners group on my return, which is where I intend to stay for the next few weeks so I won't push myself too much.
    My 5k was 24 minutes and my 10k was 54 minutes without pushing myself and I hope to do plenty of these over the next couple of months to get my aerobic base back to some decent level.

It wasnt the expected 400m intervals tonight. The session was 4*400, 4*300 and 4*200 starting off with slow then fast, your slow interval being your rest period so it was a constant run alternating between slow and fast without stopping.
    It nearly killed me as I was late arriving and I had no warm up.
    I finished it anyways but realise how warming up is so important, won't be making this mistake again.

• Advertisement

Today
    30 minute recovery jog(5.3k)
    42 chin ups (pyramid)
    30 Dips (3*10)

Tonight - 8*400m, 60 sec gaps with a 3 minute gap between 4th and 5th.
    Worked out roughly to be 90 sec average, didnt bring a watch on purpose, was going against someone elses time.
    Felt strong and pacing steady and left something over for my tempo 5k on Fri.
    Not going to do any more strength training in gym for the next few weeks as I need all my energy for running it seems.

Changed my mind about 5k, did 10km - 49:48 tonight, felt good. Shortened my stride length to increase my cadence to roughly 88. Did this to take pressure off my calfs as they are tightening up and Im worried about shin splints.
    Also found it to be less taxing overall and would have gone faster but kept the breaks on as I have a 3k time trial next week.

3k track -12:57

10k - 50:34

Rest.

10mile LSR 1:27

Rest yesterday and today. Intervals tomorrow.

8 * 600m with 200m recovery job in between. 2:30 average

3 * 1 mile intervals on grass with 60sec rest in between. 6:50 average.

• Advertisement

10k on grass 49:18

Pyramid on track. 200, 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400, 200.
    Rests - 30sec, 45sec, 60sec, 90sec, 60sec, 45sec, 30sec.
    Times - 00:40, 01:26, 03:25, 05:00, 03:27, 01:28, 00:41

4km total in 16:06
    04:01/km average pace

Looking at your log I can help but notice the lack of easy runs around your sessions. Just seems like strength is the area in which you are lacking (800m + reps). Think you would benefit from substituting one of your sessions a week for a tempo and add few more easy miles to your week and i think it could really stand to ya

Looking at your log I can help but notice the lack of easy runs around your sessions. Just seems like strength is the area in which you are lacking (800m + reps). Think you would benefit from substituting one of your sessions a week for a tempo and add few more easy miles to your week and i think it could really stand to ya

Hi Ecoli, yes I was thinking the same and I was planning an 8-10mile LSR on Sunday morning but I was just too tired after upping the intensity of last week. The 3 * 1 mile intervals on grass had me a bit worn out.
    The Tuesday and Thursday sessions are club nights and I dont want to miss them as running in a group is helping me getting my speed up quicker.
    The plan this week is to run 4 days a week from now on and hopefully to get it up to 5 days a week in another month from now.
    The 10k on Sat, I was treating as a tempo.
    Would you say 8-10miles LSR is enough?

Hi Ecoli, yes I was thinking the same and I was planning an 8-10mile LSR on Sunday morning but I was just too tired after upping the intensity of last week. The 3 * 1 mile intervals on grass had me a bit worn out.
    The Tuesday and Thursday sessions are club nights and I dont want to miss them as running in a group is helping me getting my speed up quicker.
    The plan this week is to run 4 days a week from now on and hopefully to get it up to 5 days a week in another month from now.
    The 10k on Sat, I was treating as a tempo.
    Would you say 8-10miles LSR is enough?

I would say that that LSR is fine if not too much for the mileage you are doing. My advice would be to try adding an extra day (start off maybe 3 or 4 miles) if you are able to and start to build your overall weekly mileage either that if you want to remain at four days i would shorten the 10k tempo to 20 min max and do extra long warm up and cool down around sessions to make up the difference in mileage. 10k tempo is too much for your aerobic base.

At the moment it just seems that you have too much quality without base to back it up. This may see short term fitness spike it will leave your summer season erratic in terms of performance especially with anything over 800m as the way your training is laid out it seems you could run a very good eight off it but may struggle a bit @ 1500m+.

Again these are just ideas but hopefully they can point you in the right direction

I would say that that LSR is fine if not too much for the mileage you are doing. My advice would be to try adding an extra day (start off maybe 3 or 4 miles) if you are able to and start to build your overall weekly mileage either that if you want to remain at four days i would shorten the 10k tempo to 20 min max and do extra long warm up and cool down around sessions to make up the difference in mileage. 10k tempo is too much for your aerobic base.

At the moment it just seems that you have too much quality without base to back it up. This may see short term fitness spike it will leave your summer season erratic in terms of performance especially with anything over 800m as the way your training is laid out it seems you could run a very good eight off it but may struggle a bit @ 1500m+.

Again these are just ideas but hopefully they can point you in the right direction

Ok cheers for that

No intervals tonight and gave the club a miss as still tired from Tuesday.
    Did 5km-24:23 and felt it hard going.
    Had weights/gym session with core work afterwards and felt strong after having a break from it.
    Plan another easy 5km tomorrow.

Easy 5km on grass- 23:43. Cadence at 91 now after working on it.

10 mile LSR on road - 01:19.
    Too fast for LSR and lost garmin reception halfway into run so pacing went too fast in 2nd half.
    Felt strong all the way through without much effort.

• Advertisement

Track Session

12 * 400m intervals with 40 second recovery.
    Times- 80, 87, 88, 92, 92, 92, 93, 95, 97, 93, 96, 82
    Average 90 seconds

Two miles warm up/ cool down

Advertisement