Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get Sea Asparagus / Samphire ?

Options
  • 27-08-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

Hello Boardies,
    Does anyone know where I can get Sea Asparagus/Samphire in Leinster..?

I got it in the English Market in Cork a couple of weeks ago but I will not be in Cork again any time soon.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're in Dublin, I think they have it in Fallon & Byrne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The vegetable shop with a fish counter in Upper Rathmines Road - I think it might be called Lawlor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

They have it in Meylers in Wexford town every Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

They have it in most of the fish shops along the pier in Howth...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Thanks for your suggestions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

caviston's nearly always have it, but only take the stuff that is good and firm, not saggy or black in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Find a flat, sandy area that dries out at low tide for a few hours - you should find samphire there!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

They have samphire in M&S at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

There is a fishmongers in naas that does it. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

foodaholic wrote: »
    There is a fishmongers in naas that does it. I love it.

Foodaholic, can you tell me where the Fishmongers in Naas is?

Thanks,
    Lucylu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Its just off friary road.

Excuse my crappy directions: Go down the main st heading for dublin and the turn rt after superquinn its on that street on the left. Really nice people, will order anything in for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They have it in most of the fish shops along the pier in Howth...

@ €9.50 a kilo in the one I looked into today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Fairly easy to grow, set up a section in the garden today to do it along with salsola and scurvey grass, its a perennial so once established hey presto.
    I did it in the veg patch, but it should be relativly straight forward to replicate it in a window box.

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Fairly easy to grow, set up a section in the garden today to do it along with salsola and scurvey grass, its a perennial so once established hey presto.
    I did it in the veg patch, but it should be relativly straight forward to replicate it in a window box.

WOW!! Where did you get the seeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Would that be the same samphire (marsh samphire) as the one that's normally foraged and eaten though? It grows in the wild in very specific conditions, i.e. salt marshes and estuaries, I know I've picked it before in England where my sister lives in Norfolk. There may be other varieties of samphire out there but surely you wouldn't get that very special sea-salty taste that the marsh samphire has?

The word samphire refers to many different species but I reckon none of them can be easily cultivated.
    I woner if you're talking about slasify, which we failed to grow in our garden!

It can be cultivated with some difficulty, they do it in Zeeland in the Netherlands for example, and you can buy it in normal supermarkets there when in season. There's an article here (in Dutch, sorry!) explaining how they do it. He uses salt water to irrigate the fields, mirroring what happens in nature. I'm not sure though whether the salt water is essential to the growth of the plant itself, or whether it's just to replicate the same salty taste that wild samphire has. I'd imagine that a fairly marshy damp environment would be important whatever the case.

Yup Alun, got a lot of marsh samphire in Zeeland, particularly good with Oysters. A lot of my cooking is Vlaamse/Zeus based.
    Also, Salsola is irrigated with salt water on the med.

As the the beer revolu says, there are several species of samphire, mine is a rock samphire, found on rocky/sandy beaches.
    Salsify, or Scorzanegra, is also being grown in the perennial bed I put together, but in a separate section, and irrigated with fresh water.

How I put together the box for the salt water plants can be viewed here
    Its a 2ft x 4ft section within a raised bed.
    Plants will be irrigated with water at a salinity/SG of 1.010, Salsola, Samphire and Scurvygrass, the later two being halophyte perennials, so hopefully will get a few years production out of them

Looks good! Are you going to have a go at Lamsoren too? That's a Zeeuws speciality too isn't it?

Dont really know what I'd use sea lavender for - might try it if the Salsola fails to self seed

• Advertisement

IIRC you use it in recipes more or less exactly the same way as samphire or maybe young spinach leaves.

I think I'd be better off sourcing a sea spinach for that, but we will see next year

I think I'd be better off sourcing a sea spinach for that, but we will see next year

By sea spinach you mean slabhcán/ sloke/ laver/ nori? Could you grow that if you had some sea? I can tell you where to find it, if that's what you mean.

By sea spinach you mean slabhcán/ sloke/ laver/ nori? Could you grow that if you had some sea? I can tell you where to find it, if that's what you mean.

No, sea spinach is a spinach like plant that grows near the sea shore and on cliffs. Very nice it is too and very abundant.

No, those are actual seaweeds that I use for other dishes.
    I'm on the shore and familiar from when I was a kid with what you can eat as well as what I picked up in later years at work so I collect a fair few seaweeds for various meals, there are I think two carageen recipes at the blog for example and I actually plan to do a miso for the blog later in the year when I get my walking onions established.

New Zealand spinach is a good example of a halophyte perennial sea spinach, as are some orache, but there is a local type as well - though not as productive as the NZ version, so that's the kicker.

Alun wrote: »
    It can be cultivated with some difficulty, they do it in Zeeland in the Netherlands for example, and you can buy it in normal supermarkets there when in season. There's an article here (in Dutch, sorry!) explaining how they do it. He uses salt water to irrigate the fields, mirroring what happens in nature. I'm not sure though whether the salt water is essential to the growth of the plant itself, or whether it's just to replicate the same salty taste that wild samphire has. I'd imagine that a fairly marshy damp environment would be important whatever the case.

heel interesseert!

Ah, I see it here http://wildfoodmushroomsfishing.blogspot.com/2010/04/sea-beet-or-wild-spinach.html and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragonia_tetragonioides with the botanical name. Interesting.

Best spinach I've tasted is the oriental kind, with the arrow-shaped leaves - a strong spinachy flavour but none of that nasty chalky thing.

These guys http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=2301 offer seeds for sea spinach.

Advertisement