Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bridges

Options
  • 25-08-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Green Bridges, are there any in Ireland, especially with the new network that was built.

It's a bridge that enables wildlife and ecosystems to interact with each other on opposite sides of the motorway.

If not, why not.

BW_26s3.jpg

gruenberlin400.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Not that I know of. Plenty of mammal tunnels though. I will take a photo of one heavily used tunnels under the M8 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

Are some proposed on the M18?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Ireland - green by name but not by nature

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's grass growing on the accomodation crossing on the Naas bypass if that counts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's two bridges between Ballinasloe and Athlone that, while are for the purpose of road vehicles, have a solid steel sheet across the barrier rather then the usual see through mesh. I can presume this may have somthing to do with any foxes, rabbits badgers etc not getting frozen in the headlights of the motorway below.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

123easy wrote: »
    Are some proposed on the M18?

I think theres one planned on Gort - Oranmore section. Something to do with bats possibly?

I know they put a ton of bat enclosures along the Ennis bypass anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Not a green bridge by any stretch of the imagination, but here is a mammal tunnel under the M8. It was installed for badgers:

DSCF3319.jpg

Unfortunately it's hard to see, but there are many fox and badger footprints in and around the mouth of the tunnel. There is also a path leading from a nearby field towards it:

DSCF3316.jpg

Here's the view inside the tunnel - and no, I didn't stick my head into it, just the camera:

DSCF3317.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I think theres one planned on Gort - Oranmore section. Something to do with bats possibly?

I know they put a ton of bat enclosures along the Ennis bypass anyway.

Yes, there is one planned on the M18, the Coole Accomodation Overbridge, something to do with horseshoe bats and hedgerows, described in the scheme as the first in Ireland.

http://www.galway.ie/RoadProjects/n18orangort/n18.htm

Advertisement