Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else given up on Wood Pellet Boilers?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Had one installed about 3 years ago via the SEI Grant Scheme.

Total nightmare -

* Gerkros, the company that supplied it, went bust a few months later. No official support or service

* I now rely on an Estonian chap to service it. For all I know he could be gone back to Estonia now. Getting spare parts isn't easy.

* Totally temperamental system - spent hours trying to resolve problems with it

* The heating element on mine went last December. €150 to get a new one fitted... it went again at the start of April.

* Sourcing pellets can be a nightmare sometimes

* Cleaning it is painful

After 2 long, hard winters with this yoke I've decided to jack it in and have a condensing oil boiler fitted, I read that they operate quite efficiently with the lower temperatures used by underfloor heating.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 duncans

Yep I've given up before I've even had one installed.
    I was determined not to put oil in my newbuild - wanted something eco but several things have conspired against me
    1) the new uk government (i'm up north) cancelled the grants so it went from a 3 or 4,000 grant to zero. Add on the cost of building storage etc and it would never pay for itself
    2) started worrying about the longterm supply of pellets - with supply and demand it's bound to become a problem for companies growing trees quickly enough, plus long term there is bound to be competition between timber and food crop growing
    3)you are at the mercy of pellet companies with regard to fuel prices just as much as you are with oil

So all in all the pellets aren't the cheap, eco-friendly solution i had hoped.

Decided to put in grant vortex oil condensing boiler, extra insulation, a solar panel for hot water, a stove with back boiler and a buffer tank.
    Hoping i won't actually need to run the oil too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Aye... the pellets don't really work out any cheaper than oil and can be very hard to source at times.

Then you can (unknowingly) buy really bad ones that clog up your boiler... I used them before and they clog up the chamber where the pellets are burned causing the heat to pass up the tube that transfers them from hopper whihc resulted in it melting... another €50 in repairs.

I never wanted to go down the oil route... but after trying to do my bit to be eco friendly I've more or less given up on the wood pellets. I'm going to revert to the tried and tested.

I'm feeling a bit more comfortable about it now that I know that the oil condensing boiler is supposed to be pretty efficient with underfloor heating.

yes i'm glad to hear that too - we were advised to put in a buffer tank with the oil system to avoid cycling. does that make sense? it's also good to hear someone with experience of the pellets - often you don't hear the downsides until it's too late. I think long term (and i mean 50 years!) the only solution is some kind of electric heating powered by wind or solar, or to go with the passivhaus idea. I just remain unconvinced that any house in ireland could do without any form of heating. Plus we need hot water in winter!
    do you have solar panels? i've heard great things about them, our builder says he hasn't used his oil since the spring for heating his DHW (and he is not involved with our SP installation so he is not trying to sell them to us!)

I don't think there's any optimal solution to heating your home.. and if there is then I'd imagine it'd probably take a long, long time to pay for itself.

I watched a Consumer Issues show on RTE television a number of months back and they done an article on the heartache people were getting with Wood Pellet boilers. I think the moral of that story was 'if you want to be eco friendly it's going to be costly and give you some heartache'.

We have solar panels, but for hot water only only. This year they have been especially good... there's been a lot of bright sunshine since the cold snap ended in January so we've been having pretty reasonable amounts of hot water since this time. On a good day you'd have a tank full of 50-55 degree water, enough for all 3 of us to shower, wash dishes etc. On a dull dreary day like today they'd do nothing.

Sorry if i'm bugging you with questions but i'm at the building stage and hoping i'm doing the right thing! - do you have evacuated tubes or flat plate? and if you don't mind me asking how is your system set up? i'm thinking HW from panels feeds the normal cylinder, the oil and wood stove go to the buffer tank.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm not all that up-to-speed on the technicalities of these things... everything was entrusted with our plumber who is very good.

Our solar panels are flat plate but I've no idea what the differences are between these and evacuated tubes in terms of pros and cons.

The panels feed the hot water cylinder.

We don't have a buffer tank. Are you using underfloor heating or standard rads? I think buffer tanks are used with rads.. but I'm not a plumber so no great idea on this. Just make sure your buffer tank is uber insulated from top to bottom.

cheers
    i'm same - not very technically minded and learning as i go. i think evac tubes are a bit more efficient but more expensive. we have rads upstairs and ufh downstairs. i think the buffer will be used so that the oil boiler doesn't continuously turn on and off - it will keep a supply at a certain temperature for a long time.
    many thanks for your help, hope the oil boiler gives you a warm and stress free winter this year!!:)

Might ask our plumber about the buffer... he's calling out next Wednesday to discuss the condensing boiler installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

My parents have a pellet stove with back boiler in their house. It has been nothing but trouble since they got it installed. We had decided on wood pellets for our new build and had even put in slabs over the garage to store them above the boiler house, but after hearing all the problems that the parents and others in the area have had, it's a condensing oil burner for us.

Nice space above the garage now, though.

Wood Pellet boilers, from my experience, are a total nightmare.

Anyone reading this and thinking about installing the latest, greatest and greenest technology think twice and consider everything upfront... which includes your own personal sanity over saving the planet.

I didn't take my own advice and am now scraping a system which basically means €€€€ down the drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I too had a gerkros fitted about 3 years ago and it has been going relatively well.
    I replaced the ignition element (€50) myself a few months ago after getting the part from a crowd in Cahir who set up to meet the demand for parts servicing etc. as far as I know.
    They certainly aren't for anyone who isn't hands on. Plenty of TLC and maintainance required but if they get that, then they work quite well and economically.
    Though I have had to pursuade the OH to not attack it with an axe a couple of times, she hates it!!
    As for pellets, have gotten them off that big company in Enniskillen (you know who they are) and the quality and delivery has always been good.
    Though there has been a significant cost increase lately, it is still a little cheaper than oil I reckon. And of course my conscience is all the better for having a rather dainty carbon footprint don't you know :p

I have no connection with this company other than getting a part from them and here is the link for those of you who may require parts. If it's inappropriate to put it here, sorry :)

http://www.woodpeckerenergy.com/contact-us.php

After lots of farting around with ours I did manage to figure it out a bit more and got to the point where it was running without too many hiccups... but the brand new element packing in after little over 3 months was just ridiculous.

With all things added up it's just too much. It has let us down a few times and if we have another January like we did this year then we need something we can rely on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

jpb1974 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not all that up-to-speed on the technicalities of these things... everything was entrusted with our plumber who is very good.

Our solar panels are flat plate but I've no idea what the differences are between these and evacuated tubes in terms of pros and cons.

The panels feed the hot water cylinder.

We don't have a buffer tank. Are you using underfloor heating or standard rads? I think buffer tanks are used with rads.. but I'm not a plumber so no great idea on this. Just make sure your buffer tank is uber insulated from top to bottom.
    The advantages of tubes over panels is that they are 1, easier install 2, more surface area 3, easier replace dulled or damaged tubes than a panel;)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

JPB1974,

Also had (HAD) a Gerkros pellet burner here. We went through maybe 7 ignition elements in the three years before replacing the burner with an oil burner.

We had the advice of a splendid heating engineer who had an adapter plate made so that the oil burner could fit into the boiler case. Next to zero plumbing of the water circuit was involved. I re-organised the electrics - very simple. Works great, real test will come in a couple of months time. But it is heating the hot water cylinder very well. There is no auxiliary hot water storage buffer for the system.

Anyone want to buy a 3.5 tonne green plastic pellet storage tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Once i heard wet pellets/ Rats getting cot in the screw/ and lots of ash....

Mehh I gave up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

It's crazy to think wood pellet boilers are around for such a long time and we just can't get it right here.
    Over 65% of boilers in sweden are wood pellet.

Once i heard wet pellets/ Rats getting cot in the screw/ and lots of ash....

Mehh I gave up

Wet pellets just turn to mush and couldn't be used, rats getting caught in the screw :eek: would like to see that :rolleyes:

And lots of ash? I empty mine about once a month and there's still bugger all.

I understand that these units get some bad press and certainly some folks have had bad experiences, but unless you know what you're getting yourself into and can handle it, you'll have those problems.
    Think I'll clean mine out tomorrow, just to show it that little bit of TLC what is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Out of curiosity ....... what would it cost to replace the wood pellet boiler with the more traditional oil boiler ? If we get anymore small trouble we could be convinced to ditch it as well.

It's certainly not what our great government were promoting and encouraging 4 years ago.

You should get a decent oil boiler installed for about 2K,all in, I reckon.

But you can't blame the government for wood pellet boilers not being all they may have been cracked up to be.

That may be the only thing, but....

tinofapples - remember to get a few quotes for any replacement arrangement. See if a full replacement boiler would be needed, as opposed to oil burner unit only.

Others who have Gerkros Woodpecker type boiler: Please regularly check the thermostat port on the top right front of the boiler. You can see it when the top cover is levered off. It can leak and it is right beside the electronic control box. If no sign of leak - leave it alone.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback folks.
    but unless you know what you're getting yourself into and can handle it, you'll have those problems.

My first winter with the boiler was a disaster... it took my hours upon hours to figure the thing out... realistically you'd almost need to do a course in how to keep a wood pellet boiler.

The 2nd year it was running OK... but this carry on with a €150 element replacement in December and then another required at the end of March just made me realize that this thing wasn't going to pay for itself over oil any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

kay 9 wrote: »
    The advantages of tubes over panels is that they are 1, easier install 2, more surface area 3, easier replace dulled or damaged tubes than a panel;)
    Good panels dont need replacing, and with everything in life, you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    It's crazy to think wood pellet boilers are around for such a long time and we just can't get it right here.
    Over 65% of boilers in sweden are wood pellet.
    I heard of a irish woodpellet boiler being launched next year, wont mention names, but met a guy who has one on test in his own house, if it does what he says, but i am still on the fence, beside my oil tank!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I know a bloke at work who had one of those fangled pellet boiler with an outside hopper. He paid 20k for it or so he claimed. He was all talk about it when he got it, it was like he aquired a nasa space rocket.
    but in the depths of winter,it broke his heart.
    He's since ripped it out and has an oil burner now and lots of egg on his face.

I've an oil burner, have had for the last 5 years since I built my house. I considered a pellet boiler, looked at them, costed them up but went for a mix of oil, and solid fuel stove (burning turf/coal)
    I spend about 3 or €400 per annum on oil and then maybe €300 on solid fuel.
    Works for me ......my pocket .....and the financial enviroment we live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TopMan

Have a Gerkros pellet boiler in for over 4 years. Going great after a few hiccups at the beginning when my plumber, "the local ****ing hero", came back back to sort out his mess.

I knew when i got mine what was involved after reveiwing research in sweden, etc. regarding the maintainance and upkeep. The cowboy plumbers who made cockup of most installations brought the industry to it's knee's. This country just wasn't ready and SEI and the grants were a lot to blame. 9 out of 10 people with pellet boilers that I spoke to said the main driver behind their decision to go pellet was a €4,200 grant. Does this sound familiar, greed !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

TopMan wrote: »
    Have a Gerkros pellet boiler in for over 4 years. Going great after a few hiccups at the beginning when my plumber, "the local ****ing hero", came back back to sort out his mess.

I knew when i got mine what was involved after reveiwing research in sweden, etc. regarding the maintainance and upkeep. The cowboy plumbers who made cockup of most installations brought the industry to it's knee's. This country just wasn't ready and SEI and the grants were a lot to blame. 9 out of 10 people with pellet boilers that I spoke to said the main driver behind their decision to go pellet was a €4,200 grant. Does this sound familiar, greed !!!!!!!

How about doing something for the environment and at the same time saving money over oil costs (Apparently !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

kscobie wrote: »
    I heard of a irish woodpellet boiler being launched next year, wont mention names, but met a guy who has one on test in his own house, if it does what he says, but i am still on the fence, beside my oil tank!!!!

I thought the problem here was the supply/distribution of pellets ,maybe someone has made a wet pellet boiler:D

Is there any regulation with regard to the supply of wood pellets ? ,or can people sell any old muck ?

To be honest, we never had any problem with the ordering or delivery of pellets from the well-known Fermanagh supplier. I must admit to not really liking having just one possible supplier.
    One early delivery had a rather high proportion of dust. It blocked the feed screw. Thereafter I sieved each bin-full before putting into the screw-feed bin beside the boiler. Another task in my already busy schedule.

Plumbing. The system here was plumbed in without allowing for a water circuit for the pump over-run period. The circulation pump operated all night, was pumping against closed valves and the water in the boiler was not cooling. This would have caused the pump to have a very short life.
    The "cheap and cheerful" cure was for the plumber to install a radiator close by the boiler in the garage. This was "on" all the time. The garage was lovely and warm - much appreciated by the cat. The house could have benefitted from that heat.

All re-organised now that the pellet burner has been replaced with an oil burner.

9 out of 10 people with pellet boilers that I spoke to said the main driver behind their decision to go pellet was a €4,200 grant. Does this sound familiar, greed !!!!!!!

Greed... sorry pal, but I doubt it.

If my memory serves me correctly even with the grant the Wood Pellet installation costs about the same if not more than an oil burner installation.

So greed... no... an alternative to oil... yes.

• Advertisement

The cowboy plumbers who made cockup of most installations brought the industry to it's knee's.

None of my issues were plumber related...

Advertisement