Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spice & Sauces Thread

Options
  • 19-08-2010 9:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Are there any threads that cover spices/sauces, etc? I don't know about anyone else, but even though we have a good few spices/herbs, etc sometimes they don't get used for weeks at a time, not because we go for processed stuff, mostly because we stick to basic recipes or steam/boil veg/meat. Given the success of the cooking club, how about something on a smaller scale, or not even a club, but a 'get to know your sauces/herbs/spices/salads' type thing, a thread with a topic or two and then posters can add their own sauces, etc? It's great to have recipes and mix things up a bit and no doubt there are many recommendations all over the web, but sometimes recommendations from boardsies are more interesting. ;) It would be good to have a few sauces or spice mixtures that you can just lash together and use with a few recipes. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never liked 5 spice powder until I made my own :

Schezwan pepper corns - table spoon (any Asian shop)
    Cloves - 5 or 6
    Cinnamon - half a stick
    Star anise - 1
    Fennel Seeds - Teaspoon
    Black Pepper - Teaspoon
    (I know that's 6 spices!)

Into your whirley coffee grinder/spice grinder and mix to a fine powder, store in airtight container.
    Great for aromatic duck or a little in anything Chinesey.
    You can play around with the proportions but the above is roughly what works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Great idea.

I have a jar of aestofida in the press for the past 6 months which is still unopened (not sure what to use it for) and am always looking for new spices to use, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Dinkie wrote: »
    Great idea.

I have a jar of aestofida in the press for the past 6 months which is still unopened (not sure what to use it for) and am always looking for new spices to use, etc.

I use it in any Indian curries I'm doing, just a little pinch is all you need. Can't tell you what it adds to the food but I remember reading somewhere that it is as essential as chilli powder etc.

I also think its a great idea to have a thread for spices/herbs/sauces etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Asafoeida is supposed to reduce flatulence. Speaking of curry powders, adding some to roasted sweet root vegetables, such as carrots and parsnips, is really nice. Great idea for a thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dinkie wrote: »
    Great idea.

It smells nasty imo but doesn't do anything bad to the food, think its just a background taste, a lot of it is tumeric iirc. I got some to make daal and it turned out very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great, thanks. :)

This is not everything, but after scanning our cupboards we have:

Cajun mix
    Cumin seed
    Cumin - ground
    Cayenne pepper
    Paprika
    Marojam
    Basil
    Herbes de provence
    Caraway seeds
    Turmeric
    Chilli flakes
    Bay leaves
    Oregano
    Coriander leaf and seeds
    Ground ginger
    Star anise
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Cardamom pods
    Fennel seeds
    Rosemary
    Hot chilli powder
    Curry powder
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice, cloves, etc
    Garam masala

I've an idea on how to combine some of these for bits and pieces. I've used most things bar the cardamom pods and star anise which are in recent cooking club recipes so hopefully I'll be trying those soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Great, thanks. :)

This is not everything, but after scanning our cupboards we have:

Cajun mix
    Cumin seed
    Cumin - ground
    Cayenne pepper
    Paprika
    Marojam
    Basil
    Herbes de provence
    Caraway seeds
    Turmeric
    Chilli flakes
    Bay leaves
    Oregano
    Coriander leaf and seeds
    Ground ginger
    Star anise
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Cardamom pods
    Fennel seeds
    Rosemary
    Hot chilli powder
    Curry powder
    Cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice, cloves, etc
    Garam masala

I've an idea on how to combine some of these for bits and pieces. I've used most things bar the cardamom pods and star anise which are in recent cooking club recipes so hopefully I'll be trying those soon.

:eek: Who has been rooting through my cupboard..
    I would have to add smoked paprika, dill seeds , Jerk seasoning and 5 chinese Spices

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've a nice recipe for an Indian Balti that I'll stick up when I get a chance. I'll probably be making it soon enough so I'll take a few pics too.
    It'll put a fair aul dent in those spices for ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've given up buying large bags of spices. I don't use them enough and they turn to sawdust.

Instead, I buy small amounts often and use them as fresh as possible. Also, where you can, buy whole and toast and grind yourself - improves the flavour hugely.

You don't realise how tasteless your old spices have become until you buy a fresher pack and realise how the old stuff has degenerated in the cupboard for the last year!

I have Mocona coffee jars - I think Douwe Egberts use the same jars in Ireland, a glass jar with a glass lid with an airtight rubber seal. After the coffee's used up, I wash them and use them for spice storage. They work a damn sight better than just pegging the plastic bag closed!

Some of my favourites include brown cardamom pods - they have a really interesting flavour - and the others would be cumin, star anise, cinnamon sticks and cloves. They're all particularly favourite flavours and you'd be surprised at the difference they make when added to dishes you'd never think of using them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Something I have been seeing a lot in cookbooks and online recipes are finishing salts. Finishing salts are flavoured salts made from a good quality sea salt and a flavour.

Good intro here I've quoted the text below to make it easier to read. American site, so references to sassafras are :eek::eek: but its easy to get the jist - and these are dead easy to make. Do a google and see how deep the salt mine goes.
    I know, I know. What the heck is a “finishing salt?” Those of us who don’t get out much – preferring to stay at home and get very dirty in our gardens (so gorgeous this time of year!) – generally don’t have much experience with gourmet dining and all those snooty, exotic condiments that gourmands swear by. But a finishing salt is just a little shaker or mini-bowl of salt that is mixed with a flavoring spice, the many varieties specific to certain foods.

And since those of us who love puttering in the garden usually know something about both preserving our harvests and cooking up spectacular dishes (gourmet or just darned yummy) with what we’ve grown, finishing salts can be great fun and also can greatly impress your friends and families!

Not the least because if you actually go out and buy finishing salts, you’ll be spending a pretty penny on what’s way too easy to make for yourself! I found on the web a site called The Meadow that offers flavored salts. $18 for soy salt, $14 for saffron salt and truffle salt, $9.50 for vanilla salt… for a ‘taster’ of 1.2 ounces, nowhere close to a pound! Holy moley, Batman! Why, a mere 12 ounces of the soy salt goes for just under $165!!! Wow. I could sell pounds of finishing salt to my fresh herb restaurant customers for a bundle! Is this a new market item?

They mostly use a sea salt base, and while I usually use the good ol’ salt-in-a-box from the local grocery (with iodine), sea salt can be purchased at a health food or organic food store for about two dollars for the same 16 ounces you can get in the round box for about 35¢. Sea salt is a MUST for home made pretzels and other goodies, so I do keep a pound on hand. Now I’ll just have to buy another pound when I get to town, turn it into 5 or 6 different finishing salts. Or several pounds for finishing salts if the restaurant customers express interest. If not sea salt (which contains natural iodine), you can always use the Kosher salt you keep on hand for pickling, as it contains no additives.

From what I can find in the way of recipes for finishing salts, they aren’t hard to make. We who use herbs in our cooking and occasionally have shakers of ground herbs on the table, finishing salts are just a combo for the table, nothing more. A bit like those salt substitutes you buy in the spice aisle, but with actual salt. There’s your basic garlic salt, salt-pepper blends, parsley, celery and dill (made with fine ground seeds), citrus, saffron, tarragon, rosemary, mint, thyme, basil, chives… whatever herbs you grow and regularly use can be mixed with sea salt and turned into a gourmet finishing salt.

The Mixing ratio is about 1/4 cup salt to 1 tablespoon herb or 1 teaspoon spice. Depends of course on the strength of what you’re adding, and will be adjustable according to taste (yours and your family’s). Here are some of the blends I’ve found that will make excellent finishing salts -

• Tangerine Salt. Grind dried pieces of tangerine (can use orange, lemon and/or lime) peels. Great on roasted chicken, vegetable side dishes, light pastas, seafood and omelets.

• Smoked Pepper Salt. Smoked, finely powdered pepper (paprika or chiles, Thai hots, whatever peppers you like best with the most intense flavor). Use it whenever you want a powerful smoky flavor – potatoes, fried rice, grilled meats of all varieties.

• Szechuan Peppercorn Salt. Dried, finely ground Szechuan peppercorn, which is not really a peppercorn, but a berry. Very aromatic, you can dry-roast these yourself (and make your house smell great), get them from an Asian food store. Use on any dish that could use a spice kick, particularly good in stir-fry.

• Mushroom Salts. You could make truffle salt, but truffles are mighty expensive and don’t grow where I can easily find them. Some great mushrooms that could make a very good salt are Shiitakes or any other strongly-flavored variety. I love stuffed puffballs, adding the spores to salt would be very tasty, as would using the orange shelf fungus that grows here, very tasty but tough. Dry and grind, add to the salt. Great on eggs/omelets, red meat, and vegetable-rice dishes.

• Sassafras Salt. This one’s a bit harder to make, but is the bees’ knees on fresh seafood – particularly grilled trout and salmon. Red fall sassafras leaves are dried and ground to make the Cajun spice filé, which is a necessary ingredient in gumbos and jambalaya. It’s also well known as a meat tenderizer. The most flavorful part, however, is the inner bark of the roots (that’s why they used to call the beverage “root beer”). Since we’ve lots of little sassafras trees growing in the woods and along the paths here, it’s not hard to come by. Wash the roots thoroughly, peel off the outer dark bark carefully, and scrape the reddish inner bark. Dry thoroughly (you can slow-roast it), grind fine and add to salt. If you love grilled trout or other freshwater fish like I do, this finishing salt will be your best friend!

Of course you can mix and match, and green herbs can be added liberally to any kind of finishing salt. Tarragon with lemon/lime for seafood, basil with sun dried tomato for anything, parsley with the garlic salt (helps mask garlic breath), rosemary for any vegetable dish with sweet peppers, radish pods (hot!), etc., etc., etc. You’ll find your own favorites, the blends can become a regular gourmet addition to your meals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Finishing/Flavoured salts in Aldi on Sept 2nd

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13919.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

if you're looking for ways to get through some spices i'd say have a look for books or recipes by 'madhur jeffrys'. she used to present on the bbc doing indian cooking.

the spice mixtures needed for each recipe are normally on an industrial level but great for getting through the ones that normally sit at the back of the shelf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Agreed on generally buying smaller size packs of spices. I like the coffee jar suggestion. For a casserole, we go with something fairly simple. A few teaspoons of or Orgran gravy mix, some soy sauce and tomato puree. Mix it with water, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Could anyone recommend a good place in Dublin to buy fresh/dried chillis?

Specifically, I need Pasillas, Guajillos and Chile d'Arbols.

You've probably guessed - it's Vindaloo time :cool:

Has anyone used raz/s el hanout rouge? A family friend gave us a packet to try in a tagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Cinnamon - it's not just for sweet dishes - I use it in Moussaka and also sprinkle some over lamb when I'm roasting it - it really complements the flavour.

Cloves get thrown in apple dishes and also hot whiskies (almost worth catching a cold for!)

Paprika I use a lot of - smoked, hot and sweet - chicken paprika made with tinned tomatoes, chopped peppers, loads (like 2 tbs) of paprika, finished with sour cream. A sort of goulash with minced beef, chopped chorizo, peppers, tomatoes and hot paprika is a favourite. Paprika is good on hardboiled eggs,. or scrambled eggs too.

Star Anise I like in a ribs dish - get a load of pork (not bacon) ribs, chop into individual pieces, put in a large pan with a tin of pineapple in natural juice, a tablespoonful of honey, a good glug of Kikkoman's Soy Sauce, 3 or 4 'stars' of anise, cover with cold water (at least 2 pints) and bring to the boil. Skim scum, and cook at a rolling boil until all the water evaporates and leaves a sticky covering on the ribs. Eat, messily.

I bought a load of 45 and 110ml jars from http://epackaging.ie/cart/viewprod/20.htm, and use those to store my spices - much cheaper than buying jars individually, or spices in jars.

I've got a Cajun blacked spice mix that goes well with fish, dried Ancho and other smoked chillies for - well, chillis - it's good to experiment with different chilli flavours.

I haven't bought any generic 'curry powder' for years - it's always individual spices, usually using recipes from http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com/

Curry Addict's Malaysian Curry from the Cooking Club is a winner - I make that quite a lot now. The more unusual spices I sourced from http://www.seasonedpioneers.co.uk, and a friend sent me the palm sugar from the UK.

The next spice I want to try is Sumac, which apparently has a mild lemon flavour (might be a herb?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Has anyone used raz/s el hanout rouge? A family friend gave us a packet to try in a tagine.

Dunno know about the rouge, but ras al hanout is great with shellfish and celeriac. See a recipe here from the British Larder. You don't need all the equipment, the recipe makes a soup that can be whipped with a cappucino whisk to get the froth. Also delicious with pan fried scallops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Made lemon salt a couple of weeks ago for this recipe here.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/april-s-rosemary-straw-potatoes-with-lem

Didn't "straw" the potatoes but just roasted them as small cubes. The salt gave them a lovely flavour and have been putting it on everything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Nutmeg in any bechmel type sauce, potato dauphinoise or even just mash.

And smoked paprika in all tomato based dish. Adds nice depth.

I was in the supermarket the other day and they had a Mexican spice mix (650g of it), it was €15. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement