Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT atheist society.

Options
  • 18-08-2010 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

[HTML][/HTML]Would any current or prospective DIT students be interested in joining an atheist society if one was set up? It appears we are one of only a few third level institutions which does not have a non-believer society. I contacted the societies office about setting one up but they never replied.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Out of curiosity, what would such a society do?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mad al

Well an atheist society would follow much of the ethos of atheist Ireland where we would fight for a more secular constitution where an atheist or any form of non-believer could become a judge or run for president without having to say a religious oath. Also we would raise awareness about the referendum on repealing the blasphemy law which Minister Dermot Ahern has promised and he supports having it removed from the constitution. We would campaign for a more secular education system where the role of patronage of all state owned schools would be removed from the various religions. (Educate together have said they would gladly take over the role of the patronage). We would also urge for hospital ethics boards and decision making boards to be made up of rational thinking people who would be able to remove themselves from any religious or political affiliations they might have during the decision making process. We would aim to help any people who have recently left their religion and provide guidance for any Catholics to who wish to defect. An atheist society would encourage its members to read the bible so they would have a better understanding of the material which it contains.

Other events which could be done are inviting religious, non-religious people, politicians and scientists to visit us where we would hold discussions and debates.

Check out the UCC atheist society website they are a new society and the received UCC's new society of the year award and there website is pretty cool!

Thanks, that was very informative!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DITSOCS

there was a student who set up this society last year in kevin st but he didnt have time to develop the society further. call in to us in the societies office in the basement in aungier st and we will help you set up the society and give you the forms and get it off the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Id be interested in joining, Really the best feedback would be obtained from having a stall at the societies day

• Advertisement

How'r ya Ronan,

Would ya be interested in helping a fellow classmate in setting one up?

DITSOCS wrote: »
    there was a student who set up this society last year in kevin st but he didnt have time to develop the society further. call in to us in the societies office in the basement in aungier st and we will help you set up the society and give you the forms and get it off the ground
    Ok thanks. The only thing is that I would have the same problem as the guy that tried to set it up last year. If I could find some people that would be interested in helping me set on up that would be alot of help. You may not be allowed to but would it be possible to get that guys contact details?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Mate of mine tried to set up an agnostic society, asked loads to sign up but people werent sure either way...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Ha not really Alan i'd attend and so forth but have no interest in building and running it from the ground up ;)

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    Ha not really Alan i'd attend and so forth but have no interest in building and running it from the ground up ;)
    Maybe Omar might help.lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

wixfjord wrote: »
    Mate of mine tried to set up an agnostic society, asked loads to sign up but people werent sure either way...:pac:

Oh very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

AL at your first meeting you could ask people to help and invite them to socs training etc theres always people that want to help. Just include the word Pizza in your text and your set :D

AL at your first meeting you could ask people to help and invite them to socs training etc theres always people that want to help. Just include the word Pizza in your text and your set :D
    Yea I know but getting people to join sign up on my own is daunting. There hasnt been to much response on here either. Thanks for the pizza advise though.

mad al wrote: »
    There hasnt been to much response on here either.

I wouldn't be too fussed on that mate!
    The DIT forum isn't too popular during the summer, so that's no indicator as to how such a soc will be received.

But I'd say after Monday, the forum will be buzzing, so maybe more responses then?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Yea I know but getting people to join sign up on my own is daunting. There hasnt been to much response on here either. Thanks for the pizza advise though.

You could get some friends to help just for sign up just give them a quick brief on what to do

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

I'd defo be interested in joining an atheist society, but I probably wouldn't have the time to help set one up. (I'm starting a journalism MA in September in Aungier, so I'm expecting a large workload!)

I could help in some way though. I did my undergrad sociology thesis on atheism and the internet - 'Secular Identities in Cyberspace' - and made a few contacts in Atheist Ireland. I could try to ask them for help? I'm sure they'd be glad to help set up yet another uni society to promote their aims :rolleyes:

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    I'd defo be interested in joining an atheist society, but I probably wouldn't have the time to help set one up. (I'm starting a journalism MA in September in Aungier, so I'm expecting a large workload!)

I could help in some way though. I did my undergrad sociology thesis on atheism and the internet - 'Secular Identities in Cyberspace' - and made a few contacts in Atheist Ireland. I could try to ask them for help? I'm sure they'd be glad to help set up yet another uni society to promote their aims :rolleyes:
    It's great to hear you would be interested in joining. I understand, I am going into second year of biomedical science and I think the work is going to be pretty heavy aswell but Ill see what I can do anyway. It would certainly be great to get any help at all and especially from someone who has written a thesis on the subject. I have contacted Atheist Ireland and they have shown great support. If you could send me a private message that would be great.

You could get some friends to help just for sign up just give them a quick brief on what to do
    Thats a good idea thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

It's great to hear you would be interested in joining. I understand, I am going into second year of biomedical science and I think the work is going to be pretty heavy aswell but Ill see what I can do anyway. It would certainly be great to get any help at all and especially from someone who has written a thesis on the subject. I have contacted Atheist Ireland and they have shown great support. If you could send me a private message that would be great.

No problem man, i'll be in touch soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brigantes

Would any current or prospective DIT students be interested in joining an atheist society if one was set up? It appears we are one of only a few third level institutions which does not have a non-believer society. I contacted the societies office about setting one up but they never replied.:rolleyes:

Sure. Once I get confirmation I got a place, I'd love to help out set one up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FullMetalMurphy

I would definitely be willing to put in time to get an atheist society up and running.

Ok guys the situation is I got my time table this week and its pretty rough. I'm in from 9am - 8pm two days a week 9am - 7pm one day a week and 9 am - 5pm for the other days. I also will have a lot of study to do. I really am not going to have the time to get this up and running.

This is really disappointing as I believe that it could have worked really well. Atheist Ireland are going to look to see if they can do anything and I will help if I can.

Sorry if this disappoints some people and thanks to those who expressed an interest.

Advertisement