Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 10 Months Free Landline Promotion

Options
  • 17-08-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd give a heads up. Eircom currently have a promotion on where the first 10 months, of a 12 month contract have no landline rental charge. This, for me and I'm sure for some others out there, is a great deal.

I was with IrishBroadband ripwave for the past while but they cut their service in my area just a few days ago and I've been having great trouble finding a decent alternative at a good price.

My brother told me he had just recently signed up to this and I rang about one address which didn't qualify but then gave a 2nd address which did qualify for the promotion.

So I signed up for:

8mb no contention, 10gb cap, 30 minutes free mobile calls per month, free local/national calls after 7pm (probably until 7am?) each evening. Free wireless modem for:

€21.52 a month for the first 10 months and then €46.78 (or close enough) for the remaining 2 months. There's also a €29 broadband activation fee which I'm not too sure what is about but it works out at just under €340 a year which is pretty good if you can't get anything else (UPC, DigiWeb Metro, Magnet etc not available to me) so this is definitely the best deal.

30GB cap is a fiver extra per month.

I think to qualify it must have something to do with how long it's been since the line was active. I don't know if it's open to already existing customers either but if you're in a similar postion to me, you have until FRIDAY to sign up!

If you cancel before the 12 months are up, you still have to pay the remainder of the contract. If UPC etc become available after month 12, then I'll have the option to switch then, but for the next year I'm happy enough with this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Sounds good. Any link to this offer? Wonder if it includes migrating customers from other DSL providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

Would this apply to anyone who never had a fixed line installed before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Found this in another thread in case this is it?

http://www.eircom.net/linerentalpromo

If it is then note this:
    Available to occupants of residential premises where there is an eircom in situ or pre-cabled line which can be electronically enabled and where the line has been inactive for a period of 12 months or more prior to 8th June 2010. To qualify the line must be ordered between 8th June and 31st August 2010.

The detailed T&Cs also say:
    2 This promotion relates to PSTN lines, which are inactive on the eircom network (in situ or pre-cabled) and can be electronically enabled. To be eligible for this promotion, a line
    must be inactive from 12 months on the last day of the promotion, shown above. This promotion only applies to premises where there is no active line already in place.

So I'm not sure if somebody who is with another landline/ADSL provider (who most likely resells the eircom "wholesale" package?) would qualify? E.g. I'm with UTV for phone/broadband but might consider switching to this if I could get the discount.

billyhead - if the above info relates to the offer posted by the original poster then I think you are out of luck if you have NO landline at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's probably right TM. Definitely relates to the lines in question anyway so I imagine that's it and I'd be almost certain even if you're paying UTV or any other reseller, that your line is "active" so it's probably very few who this actually applies to. I guess my brother and I were just lucky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

cormie wrote: »
    That's probably right TM. Definitely relates to the lines in question anyway so I imagine that's it and I'd be almost certain even if you're paying UTV or any other reseller, that your line is "active" so it's probably very few who this actually applies to. I guess my brother and I were just lucky :D

Correct :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

TM wrote: »
    Found this in another thread in case this is it?

http://www.eircom.net/linerentalpromo

You need a promotional code to get the 10 months free line rental.
    Anyone got one?

Scrap that. I rang Eircom and each code is linked to each house. You only get a code if your line has been not connected for over 12 months.
    So my story is I moved into my apartment in Feb 10 and never had eircom anywhere else. However the previous owner had some phone line and only disconnected the line in Mar 10.(Didnt know that and i think they didnt have eircom).
    Anyways despite wanting eircom but not willing to pay without 10 months free line rental, they wont give me anything off! :mad: Well p***ed!

Well just count it as me being lucky rather than you being misfortunate. I don't think they even advertise the promotion at all. Maybe it's just to encourage people to get back using the phone. It probably applies to very few people and for them it's probably minimal cost to provide the service with the prospect of the service being kept on by the customer after the 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We got this deal because we never bothered re-activating the eircom line when the former owners left.

Because its just for "dormant" lines It may only suit a minority of potential customers.

Glad to hear at least someone else got it :)

It's a great deal if you can get it. Far far better than anything else that's available in my area anyway so I was delighted to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Were codes posted out to former customers, or how does one obtain them?

Plus, any way to contact eircom via email/online form? Hate dealing over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I signed up for this, it should have been a good deal.

Eircom added in charges all over the place; our first bill was for €70, including the setup charge.

Plus, our line wouldn't hold a stable connection for more than 10 minutes at a time, calls were terrible quality. This was down to our line, no problem, it happens. Eircoms way of dealing with it was a problem though.

They dropped the line speed to 128k and even that wouldn't stay up. 6 engineer callouts, endless calls to support. Finally I got an agreement that they would cancel the account with no charges and would refund all the previous charges.

The next bill included a €60 cancellation fee.

Took another two weeks of calls before they waived that cancellation fee and provided refunds.

Got to say I hate that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Someone called to our door offering this promotion.

We had no phone at all in our house.

We have availed of the offer and I have to say we are delighted with it.

It was going to cost us 300 euro + to get in the line and this was done as part of the deal.

I can only recommend it.

And no.. I don't work with Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I rang up Eircom about this and they are coming back to me on it :rolleyes:

lets see if they do. I have been with homevision, who were pretty good with excellent download speeds. their modem was rubbish though for uploading anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭beanhead

that link now says
    The Free line rental offer is no longer available.

maybe mark thread as expired
    Reganovski wrote: »
    You need a promotional code to get the 10 months free line rental.
    Anyone got one?

Scrap that. I rang Eircom and each code is linked to each house. You only get a code if your line has been not connected for over 12 months.
    So my story is I moved into my apartment in Feb 10 and never had eircom anywhere else. However the previous owner had some phone line and only disconnected the line in Mar 10.(Didnt know that and i think they didnt have eircom).
    Anyways despite wanting eircom but not willing to pay without 10 months free line rental, they wont give me anything off! :mad: Well p***ed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

beanhead wrote: »
    that link now says
    The Free line rental offer is no longer available.

maybe mark thread as expired

It is :confused:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Just be advised Eircom are an absolute rubbish company to deal with.

There speeds are disgraceful and there customer service is rubbish.

If you want a proper broadband and phone service I would advise people to if possible to avail of UPC if possible.

I've heard people say the same about UPC, some customers are lucky, some aren't. I'm happy with eircom so far, very fast speed and customer service rep rang me back when they said they would about a query I had. I missed the call and they left a message with the info I needed, if I had a direct line for them I would ring them back to say thanks, but that phone menu system they have isn't the most pleasant to deal with!

Just for anyone who was lucky enough to sign up to this, I found out today, that not only do we get 10 months no landline rental charge, but the next 6 months after the 10th month will be half price on the landline rental aswell :)

Advertisement