Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship 2011

Options
  • 11-08-2010 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    im fem, 19.
    got my dates for navy and army cadetships.
    just wondering what i should be doing right now beforehand to make sure im successful? Also, if can a cadet 2010 tell me what the interview with the board is like, and what their looking for?
    please help, really want this!...

Thanks
    LC:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

There are 2 or 3 other threads already active on this subject - have a look through them and see if you still have questions after reading the responses. Quick answer would be to work on fitness and look through military.ie and the DoD website to find out about current missions, tasks, responsibilites, organisation and equipment. Schedule a mock interview if you can and practice psychometric tests online.

Edit - some reading

Large Cadet thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055958203
    Small Cadet thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055970928
    List of useful DF links http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66341494&postcount=4

Mods: Would it be an idea to merge the existing Cadet threads and sticky them, there's a lot of unconnected info floating around the Board

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Hi, I got an email on Tuesday stating that the cadet competition is open for 2011. Does anyone know how many places are being offered and what the break down of those places are?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I am considering it too.. Does anyone know the closing date? I don't have the time to check through the website due to work commitments. If I can't find out on here I will sort another way.

Cheers.

Perkina3 wrote: »
    I am considering it too.. Does anyone know the closing date? I don't have the time to check through the website due to work commitments. If I can't find out on here I will sort another way.

Cheers.

The Competition is running from the 28th of February to the 20 of March 2011.

Ketron wrote: »
    The Competition is running from the 28th of February to the 20 of March 2011.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

military.ie for info, and background. It's not the easiest site to navigate, but persevere.

Lots of discussion on irishmilitaryonline.com but more heat than light sometimes.

And it's ALL, and I mean ALL about leadership skills. You have to be able to convince the panel that you've got them - in embryo perhaps, but there all the same.

The physical tests aren't that difficult and if you can't do them then what on earth are you considering soldiering for is the question you should be asking yourself. Once accepted the 15 months of the cadetship are physically gruelling however... you'll lose a lot of weight !!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

In my final year of a level 8 course , Accounting and finance. Just applied for a army cadetship , My question is what is the money like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Sarge wrote: »
    In my final year of a level 8 course , Accounting and finance. Just applied for a army cadetship , My question is what is the money like ?

If money is your prime motivation for going for it, your looking into the wrong job. In saying that, the money is quite good starting off.

odin_ie wrote: »
    If money is your prime motivation for going for it, your looking into the wrong job. In saying that, the money is quite good starting off.

Thanks for that excellent commentary , now have you got any figures that i can go off thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Thanks for that excellent commentary , now have you got any figures that i can go off thanks.

Did you even bother to look up military.ie?

• Advertisement

Yeah i read through the booklet , couldnt find info on salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Yeah i read through the booklet , couldnt find info on salary.

Strange, Page 23 of the cadet booklet has both pay for cadets that are new entrants and have previous Public Service experience. And fancy that, page 24 has pay for the ranks of 2nd Lt and Lt.

I'd have a second read through if I were you...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

odin_ie wrote: »
    Strange, Page 23 of the cadet booklet has both pay for cadets that are new entrants and have previous Public Service experience. And fancy that, page 24 has pay for the ranks of 2nd Lt and Lt.

I'd have a second read through if I were you...

Well , if you can't see what's in front of you I don't fancy your chances mapreading, maybe you should consider another career path:D

Savage93 wrote: »
    Well , if you can't see what's in front of you I don't fancy your chances mapreading, maybe you should consider another career path:D

:-) maybe your right . I think that with my credentials Id be in with a good shout anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Accountancy you say, and you miss the figures in the info booklet. No wonder the economy is in bits...:D

Accountancy you say, and you miss the figures in the info booklet. No wonder the economy is in bits...:D

Now now...I am an accountant and let me tell you..... we just don't know how to add....Funny how the army seems to draw in accountants lol...Hmmmm maybe we should be an army of accountants :P...

Sarge without sounding bad.... If you are going for the cadets solely for the money then you really are going for the wrong career..... The cadets will b e the hardest thing you ever do!!

The money is poor but as most people apply for it as a career and not for money, the choices are yours.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Say that again?

I think the comment about joining only for the money really hit your attitude right on the head, stay in school.

I think its about 25K, 30 odd once commisioned. Its in the handbook on the DF site. Most people here that are willing applicants dont care about the wage. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

Hi, I got an email on Tuesday stating that the cadet competition is open for 2011. Does anyone know how many places are being offered and what the break down of those places are?
    i heard that there are three places goin for the air corps same as last time not sure about the other services the source that said three is in the know so i believe its true hopefully will get abit further than the last time made it to the last 90 for the air corps from 500

• Advertisement

Hopefully there is more anyway, I finished 6th on the panel for the army, got more stuff under my belt now but more places wouldnt hurt! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

should the four week exercise plan on military.ie be done four weeks before second stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You should be exceeding the requirements for the entry test by a big margin - I myself would be aiming to achieve Grade 1 in the Annual Fitness Test, details of which can be found here http://www.1bderdf.com/fitnesstests.htm

How and when you train is up to you, the four week plan is good to get you to a minimal level of fitness. No-one wants to be led by someone who aims for the lowest requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Hopefully there is more anyway, I finished 6th on the panel for the army, got more stuff under my belt now but more places wouldnt hurt! :)
    Ketron what do you mean by 6th?? just wondering :D

oldspice wrote: »
    Ketron what do you mean by 6th?? just wondering :D

There was 21 places available for army cadets, they also select a reserve panel just incase of dropouts/non acceptance etc. Hence I was 6th on the panel, i.e. 27th overall.

There was 21 places available for army cadets, they also select a reserve panel just incase of dropouts/non acceptance etc. Hence I was 6th on the panel, i.e. 27th overall.

That was a serious achievement, say your in with an extremely good chance this year. Wouldnt mind been in your position, this is my first time applying and would love to get that far :D

That was a serious achievement, say your in with an extremely good chance this year. Wouldnt mind been in your position, this is my first time applying and would love to get that far :D

Well i'm here and we're here to help! I've many attempts under my belt at this stage haha! Great thing about this competition is that everyone helps everyone despite the fact of being potential competitors! :) Which service branch are you applying for?

Well i'm here and we're here to help! I've many attempts under my belt at this stage haha! Great thing about this competition is that everyone helps everyone despite the fact of being potential competitors! :) Which service branch are you applying for?
    I applied for the army, just wondering does everyone get called for the aptitude test or not?

I applied for the army, just wondering does everyone get called for the aptitude test or not?

Once you meet the requirements, age, qualifications etc (all in the application form) you will be called for aptitude testing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Trooperboyo

When is the deadline to have sent in the applications?

Advertisement