Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI international airshow..any good?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

My boyfriend has never been to an airshow..ever! So, I was thinking of going to the one in Portrush. Is this a good one? I know the line up looks good anyway. We can only do the Sunday. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Portrush is as good now as Salthill was a couple of years ago so its definitely well worth going. I'm hoping to go again this year myself. Its a pity you can't make the Saturday as the Red Arrows appear there at 17.30 on that day and they're always worth seeing. The Eurofighter Typhoon also makes an appearance this year. Not sure which day or time. This years show is extra special as it marks the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Indeed Portrush did well to get the Arrows, as they also appear in Duxford over the same two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i only realized its running this year. i presume it should be good. i'm heading myself. what type of aircraft is your boyfriend into. they have the euro fighter typhoon on the list as well as the red arrows and the battle of Britain fly by. it won't be crap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

Thanks..found their running list, def has the potential for a good w'end :). Big thanks for pointing out red arrows are only doing Sat. Would hate to miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

schedule so far (taken from official facebook page);
    • Red Arrows (Saturday 5.30pm)
    • Eurofighter Typhoon
    • Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Dakota (Sat only)
    • RAF Tucano (Sat only)
    • Hawker Hunter
    • Royal Aircraft Factory Se5a
    • Chipmunk
    • Vans RV7
    • Spitfire
    • Messerschmitt

Anyone know what the story is with parking? Never been before but looking at google streetview, i'd imagine it's a problem (if there's 100k+ people expected on any given day) :D

What sort of time would we need to be there at to avoid the crush? Activities start @ 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

As much as I enjoyed the Galway shows the line up is actually better than Salthill I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

ian_m wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed the Galway shows the line up is actually better than Salthill I think.

Would totally disagree with you on that one, I remember a few years ago at Salthill I saw the Red Arrows, RAF Typhoon, Hawk, German Navy Tornado and German Air Force Tornado plus what ever else was on. Hard to beat that line up.

i've looked in on parking too and accommodation. i'm considering bringing my tent and camping out but don't know what the regulations on that are. might try and find a camp site near colraine just up the A2. what the rest of you doing for stay overs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I am not sure about the Airshow but at the NW200 a lot of people put up tents in the car park by the beach down by the Metropole roundabout. That is out of the way of the NW course though and might be the vantage point for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

they had the A380 last year in Portrush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

ian_m wrote: »

Couldn't disagree more either. The last show in 2007 :

The USAF Thunderbirds. First time in Ireland.
    RAF Tucano T1
    RN Sea King Mk4.
    USAF Learjet C-21. Not seen that year in any UK flying display and hardly ever.
    Merlin HC.3
    2 x A-10's Not seen that year in any UK flying display and hardly ever.
    The Blades
    The IAC EC135, AW139 and CASA
    Plus several others.

The Reds have been at Salthill many times as well. Salthill was by far the best Irish air show at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

As others have said Salthill will be hard to beat.As Vulcan said the last show in Salthill was top class and i recall from 2006(i think) an Aer Arann ATR72(EI-REL) been put through her paces!! Would love to see the Spitfire and Messerschmitt at Portrush though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Lapin wrote: »
    Portrush is as good now as Salthill was a couple of years ago so its definitely well worth going. I'm hoping to go again this year myself. Its a pity you can't make the Saturday as the Red Arrows appear there at 17.30 on that day and they're always worth seeing. The Eurofighter Typhoon also makes an appearance this year. Not sure which day or time. This years show is extra special as it marks the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Indeed Portrush did well to get the Arrows, as they also appear in Duxford over the same two days.

Erm naw its not, its coming on the 4th of september this year, and apparently 200,000 people goto it!:eek: Luckily i've got a view of portrush from my house and can see the red arrows, my uncle was lucky enough for the boy to come over his house and wave at him!:eek: Oopps sorry thought you said it wasn't coming! If you do go you'll need to go VERY early as the ring road will be blocked up right out to the very edge of the town and it'll take you hours to get to the port and once you get their you'll not be able to move, people go everywhere to view it!

smemon wrote: »
    schedule so far (taken from official facebook page);
    • Red Arrows (Saturday 5.30pm)
    • Eurofighter Typhoon
    • RAF Tucano (Sat only)
    • Hawker Hunter
    • Chipmunk
    • Vans RV7
    • Spitfire
    • Messerschmitt

Anyone know what the story is with parking? Never been before but looking at google streetview, i'd imagine it's a problem (if there's 100k+ people expected on any given day) :D

What sort of time would we need to be there at to avoid the crush? Activities start @ 11am.

Yes its hard to get to too many people, i would goto bushmills (or a hill somewhere where you can see it) as there will just be no room!

they had the A380 last year in Portrush!

Yep flew over my house aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

smemon wrote: »

Last year I arrived there at about 1000 and had no difficulty parking in the car park on the eastern side of the town (off Causeway St on GoogleEarth). It is not a long walk from here to the seafront or to either of the headlands, which offer a good view of the flying as well. I ended up on the hill from the western end of the promenade and this was quite good, although the display line for the bigger aircraft was still somewhat out to sea (apparently the marked buoys had shifted in the strong winds). The car park I mention also left me quite well positioned for getting quickly back onto the main A2 road back towards Belfast and home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24101413@N03/sets/72157622143822945/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Aerohead wrote: »
    Would totally disagree with you on that one, I remember a few years ago at Salthill I saw the Red Arrows, RAF Typhoon, Hawk, German Navy Tornado and German Air Force Tornado plus what ever else was on. Hard to beat that line up.

Actually, I remember that now that you mention it. 2004 I think, was it?

ok plenty of people agree salthill put on a great airshow.isn't it just about seeing the planes. now back to the thread. will the show be any good and is the show changing locations this year i thought it was at derry airport not portrush.

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    ok plenty of people agree salthill put on a great airshow.isn't it just about seeing the planes. now back to the thread. will the show be any good and is the show changing locations this year i thought it was at derry airport not portrush.

why would it be down their they have no room and anyway why are you so fussed that its in portrush and its not in derry.

ok its in portrush thanks for that. PARDON MY IGNORANCE SIR!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mission99

The full list has not been announced yet. There will be over 20 individual air displays each day.
    Parking and admission is free. Best places to park; Landsdowne, East Strand, the seaward side of the coast road to Portstewart.
    Best viewing from Ramore Head, West Bay and Blackhill.
    Lots of camping in Portrush but local serviced accomodation sells out very early. Try www.northcoastni.com or www.niinternationalairshow.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

RAF Hawk now confirmed for both days, here's an updated line up:
    • RAF Red Arrows (Saturday 5.30pm)
    • RAF Eurofighter Typhoon
    • RAF Hawk
    • RAF Tucano (Sat only)
    • Hawker Hunter
    • Vans RV7
    • Spitfire
    • Messerschmitt
    • Nanchang
    • Starduster Too
    • Edge 360
    • Twister Duo

Advertisement