Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Mega Drive modding

Options
  • 03-08-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Just got a spare model 1 mega drive, time to get to some modding

I want to completly go over the top on this one, region, 50/60Hz anyway but thats just vanilla at this stage

New paint job is on the cards and I want to really make this one my own

If I could manage to make somthing like this, except the 4 player mod I would be really happy, trying to find guides and information about stuff like this for Mega Drives is very hard, would anybody be able to point me in the direction or let me know how to do some stuff like that it would be fantastic

I'd like to put in more leds that change colour for the different regions anyway and I'll overclock it aswell if I can

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You'll have much better luck in your research if you call it the Sega Genesis ;)

http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~dhowland/mod/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You should definitley do the overclock mod. I done it to o1s1n's MD1 here. Works really well.

Region & 60hz should of course be your first ports of call. Also worth noting is the Stereo Scart Lead mod here.

Custom paint job would be nice, with contrasting trims etc. DPDT switches for dual/multi coloured LED's, with each region having its own colour etc. Im sure there's loads more but it's a case of so many consoles to mod - so little time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

EnterNow wrote: »
    You should definitley do the overclock mod. I done it to o1s1n's MD1 here. Works really well.

Region & 60hz should of course be your first ports of call. Also worth noting is the Stereo Scart Lead mod here.

Custom paint job would be nice, with contrasting trims etc. DPDT switches for dual/multi coloured LED's, with each region having its own colour etc. Im sure there's loads more but it's a case of so many consoles to mod - so little time :D

Yeah I'll use your overclocking guide, its really good, thanks for putting up those pics, lifesaver

I already have the scart lead with the stereo cable attached, worth doing the mod with that? Ah sure i might aswell

Would you have any idea how to to the dual leds changing colours for different regions Enternow?

Yeah I'll use your overclocking guide, its really good, thanks for putting up those pics, lifesaver

I already have the scart lead with the stereo cable attached, worth doing the mod with that? Ah sure i might aswell

Would you have any idea how to to the dual leds changing colours for different regions Enternow?

Ah it's not much of a guide really, more of a heavily summarised worklog. I'd advise you look online for proper details/steps - but it's pretty easy.

Regards the led's, well DPDT switches have two rows of 3 contacts. I've never really looked into this, but I'm guessing one row of contacts is seperate to the other & therefore controls a different circuit (two circuits being switched from one switch). It should just be a matter of putting the required voltage to the middle contact, and using the contact either side to determine which colour lights up (or vice versa, you could use it for earth side switching maybe). I've never even seen a multi-coloured led in person though, so don't rely on me here. They might have more than two legs etc, but if you post up here as you go we can work it out ;)

Ahy yeah I have no idea really, now to just find somewhere local to get some DPDT switches, looked everywhere today, might have to order them online

• Advertisement

Ahy yeah I have no idea really, now to just find somewhere local to get some DPDT switches, looked everywhere today, might have to order them online

I think o1s1n got his on ebay, I didn't find them great quality tbh. Even my lowly 15w iron gave the some of them a horrible time, with contacts overheating & falling out of the switch etc. I've soldered to enough switches in my day to know I was doing nothing wrong though.

I'm in the middle of compiling a list of supplies myself & noticed Radionics have them but they are far too dear (3 euro a switch :eek:). Havn't checked Maplin/Peats yet.

Yeah I want to get good ones, goot some good ones last time but I just found the last 2 they had in that place in some random box.

Got a load of wire aswell, some job tracking down fine wire, ended up getting alarm wire with 6 cores and stripping them out

Yeah I want to get good ones, goot some good ones last time but I just found the last 2 they had in that place in some random box.

Got a load of wire aswell, some job tracking down fine wire, ended up getting alarm wire with 6 cores and stripping them out

Most of the lads here, & in fact modders all over the world use Kynar wire. It's dirt cheap and small enough diameter to fit anywhere. If I'm brutally honest, I HATE using it. Seems like the slightest flex breaks the core sometimes :mad: I'm prob not stripping it right or something, but I generally use wire from Maplins off the shelf stuff - has got me through everyhting to date (I used Kynar for my JTAG, prob wouldn't next time, but it may have some bearing on resistance)

Advertisement