Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Nando's' style piri piri sauce for chicken etc.

Options
  • 03-08-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

someone in the Franks red hot sauce bargain alerts thread asked me to post the recipe for this, so i figured it would be better off here in it's own thread. :)

I was inspired to make this after coming back from a week in Portugal last year and it came out so well that I've kept doing it for BBQ's etc.

I have a mate who is a big fan of the Nando's restaurant chain in the UK and I have him hooked on it too, so it's got to be pretty good to have him convinced and it's dead easy to make.

Ingredients

6 regular sized cloves of garlic (skin on)
    6-12 medium chilli peppers (the bigger long fresh sort you get pre-packed in supermarkets)
    100ml Extra virgin olive oil
    50ml Red wine vinegar
    1 tsp. Paprika (smoked paprika if possible)
    1 tsp. dried oregano

Method

place the garlic cloves (skin on) on tin foil and roast in a pre-heated (200°C) oven with the fresh whole chilli’s for 10-15 minutes, until they start to turn from light to dark brown.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes and de-skin the garlic and pull the tops from the chilli’s, then put them in a blender with the remaining ingredients and blend until all the lumps have gone and you're all done. :)

Notes

If you like it spicy then feel free to use more chilli’s to your own taste. The packs of 3 to 6 inch fresh red and green ones you get in the veg section in supermarkets are perfect as they have a bit of heat in them, but they’re not overpowering.

I know it might seem like it's a lot of garlic to be putting into it, but roasting it totally mellows out the flavour and it's not at all overpowering using the amounts I've suggested.

I’d recommend smoked paprika if you can get it as it adds a lot of depth of flavor to the marinade. Unfortunately I didn’t have any for my last batch and it shows. It’s definitely not as good as the previous one I did. :(

The batch I made this time was a double batch with about 12 chilli’s and one (very small) whole bulb of garlic (all other ingredients just doubled), so you can use that as a reference point if you want to make a big batch.

Also, if you wanted to do a big batch, thanks to the oil and vinegar it’ll last at least a month if you jar it up and stick it in the fridge. It also benefits from having a day or two to rest in the fridge anyway for the flavours to develop and properly mingle.

when you're ready to use it, just shake up the jar and use it to marinate chicken pieces and then grill or BBQ as you like, marinating every so often to build up a good coating of the sauce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Sounds great. This will be ge getting made very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it really is and it's so quick and easy to make too, it would be criminal not to at least try it the once. :)

the trick (as with most things) is to keep basting every 10-15 minutes to build up a good layer of the marinade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Hey Vibe quick question, if you don't have red wine vinegar can you use white wine vinegar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Well what can i say. That was fantastic! I only used 2 chillis though and my head was STILL nearly blown off, but I'm not into very hot sauce (I have to add a lot of butter to my franks).

Vibe you must have eaten so much Franks at this stage that you're nearly immune to chillis!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Just tried it there and it was pretty nice but it seemed a little acidic? at first when i smelled it i thought id put in too much vinegar so i added more olive oil. the spice was just right so the chilli amount was fine! it just needed to be a bit more savoury i think, any ideas?

Ps, my quantity was smaller than yours.

• Advertisement

Kimia wrote: »
    Well what can i say. That was fantastic! I only used 2 chillis though and my head was STILL nearly blown off, but I'm not into very hot sauce (I have to add a lot of butter to my franks).

Vibe you must have eaten so much Franks at this stage that you're nearly immune to chillis!!!!
    yeah, pretty much. :D

glad you liked it aside from it being a little too spicy, but it does depend very much on which pack of chilli's you get though as to how strong the sauce turns out.

i get a pack in supervalu that just has long red & green chilli's in it and i can use a whole pack and it's fine, but there's a pack you get in Aldi (or maybe Lidl) that has a selection of chilli's in it and there's everything from the milder dutch and thai chilli's to the rather firey habanero and scotch bonnet chilli's.

i guess either go for milder chilli's next time or use less of whatever ones you got last time and keep your fingers crossed. :)
    king-stew wrote: »
    Just tried it there and it was pretty nice but it seemed a little acidic? at first when i smelled it i thought id put in too much vinegar so i added more olive oil. the spice was just right so the chilli amount was fine! it just needed to be a bit more savoury i think, any ideas?

Ps, my quantity was smaller than yours.
    maybe see if you can find a milder vinegar or just use less or you could try using a little sugar (like a teaspoon maybe) to cut through the acidity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Just tried this, excellent recipe. A nice subtle spicy aftertaste, it would be interesting to use piri piri chillis.I used 4 chillis and maybe a small spoonfull of chilli powder. To quote Homer Simpson from his food critic days "nine thumbs up".

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Nice on OP this sounds great, just for the un-educated amongst us, Nandos is a restaurant (i've just discovered) and apparently there's one in Dundrum! Is this one of their big things or what? Would you just use this for marinading chicken? Looking forward to trying this out and reporting back!

yes they are and yes it is, but this recipe is better imho. ;)

i recently got some dried habanero and chipotle chilli's that were in Lidl a couple of weekends ago, so i might spice it up a little bit the next time i make it. :)

i've only used it for marinading chicken so far, but i guess you could use it for other stuff too, pork chops or ribs would work well i think although if i'm ever cooking ribs i have developed the best bbq recipe ever for pork ribs and can't bring myself to do anything different with them as they always go down so well with everyone when i make them and i'd probably be lynched if i tried to serve them cooked any other way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PicturePerfect

I think that the Nando's marinade sauce was available in Homebase during the BBQ Season! But this sounds lovely and so easy so probably much better than a marinade from a bottle ;) Thanks for the recipe! Def going to give it a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement