Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lg Optimus

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

My brother is looking for a new phone and is considering this one

Lg Optimus on Meteor

I asked in-store about it and it comes with 1.6 on it.
    Is it possible to upgrade to a later version?

If not does it seem like a decent price?

Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I got this for herself last week, I think it's a great price for an Android phone. I believe it's getting an update in August - don't know if you can do it yourself. You should try it first if possible though - one slight disappointment was the screen - it's not as responsive as it might be, apparently (I know now) because it's a "resistive" screen unlike the more higher-end models. It means that swipes and stuff aren't as easy - sometimes when you swipe it interprets it as a click and starts an app up. Probably just requires getting used to.

However, I still think it's great bang for the buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Joe
    Bujinkan Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

Came here to make the exact same thread :p .. Good to hear about the possible android update. As for the screen you get what you pay for, if thats the biggest downfall of the phone I'll be quite happy with it :D

Edit: Could you let me know if your succesfull with updating the android software, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's a nice phone, and great value. Yes, it's not the best quality screen, but the next cheapest Android is the Sony X10 Mini (again, using 1.6) and that's nearly double the price at 260.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

chrislad wrote: »
    IYes, it's not the best quality screen

Regarding the screen, on the plus side, it has a good resolution (320x480), compared with other lower-end Android phones (E.g. HTC Smart, Sony X10 Mini: 320x240).

I was also very surprised to see that the HTC Smart doesn't come with WiFi, which the GT540, of course, does. I wouldn't classify a phone without WiFi as a Smartphone, so it's nice to see a good value package like the Optimus including everything a Smartphone should, even if some features are lower powered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Just ordered this phone today, looking forward to getting it. I haven't had a new phone for over 3 years, and my trusty nokia 6020 is starting to fall apart at the seams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 David Power

Got mine today,

I was told that you can update the HTC andriod phones by "Setting the date forward". Has anyone heard of a simular method for this phone? Also, anyone here know more on the 2.1 update?

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I got mine yesterday. It's pretty good so far. The only downfall is the screen, as others said.
    I've been trying to connect it my laptop for ages though, and it just cant seem to make the connection, I've googled it and it seems a lot of people with LG phones have the same problem. Quite annoying as I can't seem to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've been trying to connect it my laptop for ages though, and it just cant seem to make the connection, I've googled it and it seems a lot of people with LG phones have the same problem. Quite annoying as I can't seem to figure it out.

this. i'm currently rooting one the lads new optimus' (the root itself is the simplest process of any android i've seen, couldn't believe it!) but i'm having terrible difficulty trying to find the drivers for it, it will not connect to my PC - can't complete the root process without connecting to ADB :mad:

the search for solution continues, i'll post if i source a fix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

theteal wrote: »
    this. i'm currently rooting one the lads new optimus' (the root itself is the simplest process of any android i've seen, couldn't believe it!) but i'm having terrible difficulty trying to find the drivers for it, it will not connect to my PC - can't complete the root process without connecting to ADB :mad:

the search for solution continues, i'll post if i source a fix

Same. Quite annoying. Good phone though, so far!

• Advertisement

Apparently you have to download this before you have to do anything. http://www.lgmobilephones.com/softwaredownload.aspx
    So I downloaded it, and it STILL isn't connecting.

I downloaded this and it gave me the option to download updates for the phone. At the time there was no update available.

Oh and I found if you calibrate the touchscreen with a pen (maybe the pen that came with the nintendo DS) the screen becomes much more accurate. Then again it could just be me. I'd be interested to know what you think.

In "SD card & phone storage" there is a tick box next to "Mass storage only" if you are trying to do anything with your phone other than transfer files this option needs to be un-ticked.

I've installed the software update and it keeps repeating itself, It tells me it's installed successfully and then it goes and starts the whole installation again!
    This is ridiculous, you'd think they'd just supply every phone with a disk that does all this.

I've installed the software update and it keeps repeating itself, It tells me it's installed successfully and then it goes and starts the whole installation again!
    This is ridiculous, you'd think they'd just supply every phone with a disk that does all this.

Hey GirlOfGlass,

I was getting the same thing. I can at lease tell you that it eventually tells you something like 'Your device has the latest software and is up-to-date'. The update isn't available, I read it will be out sometime around the end of this month. Fingers crossed, I'd really like 2.1.

Hey GirlOfGlass,

I was getting the same thing. I can at lease tell you that it eventually tells you something like 'Your device has the latest software and is up-to-date'. The update isn't available, I read it will be out sometime around the end of this month. Fingers crossed, I'd really like 2.1.

Yeah I heard it's coming out sometime in August too.

But how on earth do you get files onto your memory card? Do you have to download the PC Suite too? Or can you drag files straight to the memory card from the removable disk option?

Yeah I heard it's coming out sometime in August too.

But how on earth do you get files onto your memory card? Do you have to download the PC Suite too? Or can you drag files straight to the memory card from the removable disk option?

Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> click "Mass storage only"

Doing this will turn effectively your phone into a USB drive. Un-tick the "Mass storage only" box when using the LG software (if it would ever work).

Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> click "Mass storage only"

Doing this will turn effectively your phone into a USB drive. Un-tick the "Mass storage only" box when using the LG software (if it would ever work).

I did that, tried dragging and dropping files in, but it just wont let me. :mad:

I did that, tried dragging and dropping files in, but it just wont let me. :mad:

Is it giving your any errors or just doing nothing?

Is it giving your any errors or just doing nothing?

It was just doing nothing at all.

I think (fingers crossed) that I have to PC Suite working now. Well it's connecting to the phone, so that's a start.

Thanks for your help, David. :)

It was just doing nothing at all.

I think (fingers crossed) that I have to PC Suite working now. Well it's connecting to the phone, so that's a start.

Thanks for your help, David. :)

Sounds good. What is the PC Suit for? I didn't see one online, mind you I didn't look for it either.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. What is the PC Suit for? I didn't see one online, mind you I didn't look for it either.

I think it's just another variation to transfer files really. Not much different than just simply accessing the memory card, I'm just happy with whichever way works really!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I got mine yesterday, and I'm happy enough with it, except for the fact that the PC wont recognise it properly as a usb Mass storage drive, so I cant transfer files.

I'll try downloading the PC suite and see how it goes.

I found the screen tricky at first, but have the hang of it now. I've had a mess around on the iphone a few times and tbh I cant tell the difference in how the screen flick works.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday, and I'm happy enough with it, except for the fact that the PC wont recognise it properly as a usb Mass storage drive, so I cant transfer files.

I'll try downloading the PC suite and see how it goes.

I found the screen tricky at first, but have the hang of it now. I've had a mess around on the iphone a few times and tbh I cant tell the difference in how the screen flick works.

Hello Gaspode,

Press the 'Home' button then 'Notifications'.

Here you should see a new notification saying something like "USB Connected" or something like that. Click this notification to get a new screen that will allow you to 'mount' the SD card.

Hope this helps.
    Dave.

Hello Gaspode,

Press the 'Home' button then 'Notifications'.

Here you should see a new notification saying something like "USB Connected" or something like that. Click this notification to get a new screen that will allow you to 'mount' the SD card.

Hope this helps.
    Dave.

Dave,
    that's most helpful thank you, in business finally!
    Cheers

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I just got mine today, I am very impressed to be honest. I was going to go for a higher price handset but I am glad I didnt.

Yes, for the price it's very good. My biggest problem with the phone is android's market. It's hard to find good apps on it. Your better off using Google to look for an app first.

Developing for Android seems easy enough too which is more than i can say for the iPhone.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have loads of photos and videos on my SD card, is their a file explorer or a way to view things on the SD card?

Hello LIGHTNING,

The method I detailed for Gaspode outlines the method used to view the files on the SD card.

Silly question time folks: There were various pieces of clear plastic on the phone when it arrived, presumably to protect it in transit after manufacture. I've removed most of these, but there is a also layer of plastic on the screen, should this be removed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Hi all,
    p15574 wrote: »
    I got this for herself last week, I think it's a great price for an Android phone. I believe it's getting an update in August.

Could I ask where you got this info from?
    Thanks

Joe Dunne
    Bujinkan Portlaoise

Gaspode wrote: »
    Silly question time folks: There were various pieces of clear plastic on the phone when it arrived, presumably to protect it in transit after manufacture. I've removed most of these, but there is a also layer of plastic on the screen, should this be removed as well?

Not a silly question at all mate. There is a light film over the screen when you get the phone but there is also a thicker piece of plastic that looks like it can come off, you should not remove this layer (even though it looks like it can come off). It's a part of the phone.

• Advertisement

joe_dunne wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could I ask where you got this info from?
    Thanks

Joe Dunne
    Bujinkan Portlaoise

Hello Joe,

I've not come across an official announcement anywhere but lots of different forums report similar dates. This forum post (see links below) predicts a late August or early September date for the GT540 2.1 update. I e-mailed LG about a 2.1 update and was told they have no plans to update the phone. If you cant wait you can always Root your phone and put a custom Rom on it.

How to root your GT540: link Easy to root, not easy to install Rom

Forum that report GT540 update: link

Advertisement