Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite birdwatching sites???

Options
  • 23-07-2010 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

My first one is Tacumshin lake. The best site in the country especially in the autumn. Rarities like Pectoral sandpiper, buff breasted sandpiper, white rumped sandpipers are regular in the autumn. Raptor heaven: marsh harriers in the summer and hen harriers, peregrines in the winter. Full of ducks in the winter including rarites like american widgeon.

My second site is the Bridges of Ross Co. Clare. Best site in Europe for seabird migration the the autumn. The like of Cory's shearwater, great shearwater, sabine's gull, Skuas, wilson's petrel. My highlight was a Fea's type petrel I saw there once.

Third was the shannon callows(near Banagher) where you could hear and if lucky catch a glimpe of corncrake. Alas they are nearly extinct there now:(:(:(.

Ninmo's pier in Galway city. Premier site for gulls in the country and at close range. Great for testing your skills at ageing gulls. Annual highlights Iceland gull, glaucous gulls, Kumlien's gull, ring billed gull and the resident american herring gulls.

Slieve Blooms in spring for Red Grouse when the males are calling. An ever decreasing site. Catch them while you still can:(

Anybody else with sites they like to visit????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nimmos pier is a favourite of mine too. You're not wrong about the gulls! The resident heron is also often hanging around there. There were quite a few cormorants last week too.
    There's a turlough just a mile from my house which can get lots of interesting visitors in winter but there a quite a few turloughs locally so sometimes there's not much in "mine" :( It was very quiet there last year compared to the previous winter but maybe the cold had an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Rahasane Turlough near Kilcolgan in Galway. If it was in any other country it would be a reserve. Even though it's not a real turlough.

Even if you don't have a big interest in wildlife, it is such a stunning spectacle in winter for sheer numbers of birds, especially waders and waterfowl - I saw 1200 Black-tailed Godwits there a few winters back. If you want to blend in, it is pronounced "Rashen" by the locals.

Considering how few people visit it, the track record for rarities there is amazing.

Get there and see it before some plonker drains it.

LostCovey

PS this is the tally for the last two years -

03/05/10 Garganey 1 Rahasane Turlough
    02/05/10 Garganey 1 Rahasane Turlough
    08/03/10 Little Egret 40 Rahasane Turlough
    08/03/10 Ruff 4 Rahasane Turlough
    08/03/10 Spotted Redshank 2 Rahasane Turlough
    28/02/10 Ruff 1 Rahasane Turlough
    27/02/10 Greylag Goose 1 Rahasane Turlough
    27/02/10 White-fronted Goose 78 Rahasane Turlough
    27/02/10 Peregrine 1 Rahasane Turlough
    27/02/10 Merlin 1 Rahasane Turlough
    27/02/10 Ruff 4 Rahasane Turlough
    20/02/10 White-fronted Goose 81 Rahasane Turlough
    20/02/10 Little Egret 24 Rahasane Turlough
    20/02/10 Spotted Redshank 1 Rahasane Turlough
    20/02/10 Ruff 4 Rahasane Turlough
    16/02/10 Little Egret 43 Rahasane Turlough
    30/01/10 Ruff 3 Rahasane
    30/01/10 Spotted Redshank 1 Rahasane
    28/01/10 White-fronted Goose 71 Rahasane
    28/01/10 Little Egret 47 Rahasane
    28/01/10 Ruff 1 Rahasane
    17/10/09 Golden Plover 100 Rahasane Turlough
    17/10/09 Black-tailed Godwit 100 Rahasane Turlough
    17/10/09 Curlew Sandpiper 1 Rahasane Turlough
    17/10/09 Ruff 6 Rahasane Turlough
    04/10/09 Swallow 50 Rahasane Turlough
    04/10/09 Peregrine 1 Rahasane Turlough
    04/10/09 Hen Harrier 1 Rahasane Turlough
    04/10/09 Ruff 4 Rahasane Turlough
    04/10/09 Ruff 3 Rahasane Turlough
    30 Sept 09 Ruff 10 Rahasane Turlough
    30 Sept 09 Curlew Sandpiper 1 Rahasane Turlough
    26 Sept 09 Ruff 5 Rahasane Turlough
    21 Sept 09 Pectoral Sandpiper 1 Rahasane Turlough
    19 Sept 09 Curlew Sandpiper 2 Rahasane Turlough
    18 Sept 09 Knot 6 Rahasane Turlough
    18 Sept 09 Ruff 9 Rahasane Turlough
    02/04/09 Little Egret 25 Rahasane Turlough
    22/03/09 Little Egret 38 Rahasane Turlough
    15/03/09 Goosander 1 Rahasane Turlough
    14/03/09 Sand Martin 8 Rahasane Turlough
    01/03/09 Little Egret 52 Rahasane Turlough
    01/03/09 Iceland Gull 1 Rahasane Turlough
    16/02/09 Greylag Goose 1 Rahasane Turlough
    18/01/09 Goosander 1 Rahasane Turlough
    16/01/09 Ruff 3 Rahasane Turlough
    29/11/08 Greylag Goose 1 Rahasane Turlough
    29/11/08 White-fronted Goose 64 Rahasane Turlough
    29/11/08 Ruff 1 Rahasane Turlough
    18/10/08 Spotted Redshank 1 Rahasane Turlough
    11/10/08 Spotted Redshank 1 Rahasane Turlough
    08/10/08 Spotted Redshank 1 Rahasane Turlough
    07/10/08 Pectoral Sandpiper 4 Rahasane Turlough
    06/10/08 Little Stint 1 Rahasane Turlough
    06/10/08 Pectoral Sandpiper 4 Rahasane Turlough
    28 Sept 08 Snipe 50 Rahasane Turlough
    28 Sept 08 Curlew Sandpiper 2 Rahasane Turlough
    28 Sept 08 Ruff 2 Rahasane Turlough
    28 Sept 08 Spotted Redshank 2 Rahasane Turlough
    28 Sept 08 Pectoral Sandpiper 4 Rahasane Turlough
    27 Sept 08 Spotted Redshank 2 Rahasane
    27 Sept 08 Pectoral Sandpiper 1 Rahasane Turlough
    21 Sept 08 Spotted Redshank 1 Rahasane Turlough
    02 Sept 08 Black Tern 3 Rahasane Turlough

I thought it might be worth resurrecting this as some of us might be out watching for new winter arrivals now.
    Belclare Turlough below (Co. Galway) is little more than a puddle as of yet but today there were already 24 whooper swans and a couple of lapwing there.
    4A294478949D43D59C78FC6FBD673014-0000331913-0001978813-00500L-F83D89289BF540328A36E5E89F2F60FF.jpg

There's a great little hide which is a bit far away from the action now but when the turlough fills up through the winter should be a great spot for keeping an eye on the visitors (Google map link below for view of the hide).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Belclare,+Ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.358024,78.662109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Belclare,+County+Galway,+Ireland&ll=53.497441,-8.928795&spn=0,0.076818&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.497538,-8.928807&panoid=fLVDMVuw9ZUPbHfT7e2eqw&cbp=12,273.52,,0,2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

+1 for belclare, might not have highest number of birds in the region but the hide makes for very accessible viewing, even in poor weather.

It needs the right amount of water levels, but in good times you,ll see wigeon, teal, pochard, lapwing,Dunlin, golden plover,redshank,whoopers,geese,shoveler and more.

On one of my more successful visits I got to watch 2 peregrine w. very close views. Merlin often also. Once saw Gyr falcon who according to local expert might have followed the regular flock of white fronted geese there.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Am not a birding expert and don't know many sites, but The Mullet peninsula, beyond Belmullet, is pretty good - e.g. Corncrake, Twite, Chough, Barnacle & Brent Geese, the odd spectacular vagrant ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Is Belclare Turlough full up yet? Id say most of the turloughs would be well full at this stage with the last few days weather.

Is Belclare Turlough full up yet? Id say most of the turloughs would be well full at this stage with the last few days weather.

Belclare isn't full yet but getting there. Shrule Turlough on the other hand seems to have filled up overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Hey Littlebug - can you provide directions for Shule Turlough? heard about it before but was unable to locate. Is it easily accessible?

Hey Littlebug - can you provide directions for Shule Turlough? heard about it before but was unable to locate. Is it easily accessible?

Just past the Church there's a road on the left (driving out of the village). Follow that road for 1 mile and you're there.
    It's a pretty bumpy wee road with grass in the middle and there's just about parking/ turning space when you reach the turlough.

Feargal and others,
    Can you please give me directions on where to go and park at Tacumshin Lake (best spots), say from Tomhaggard. Have the chance to go there next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Connacht wrote: »
    Feargal and others,
    Can you please give me directions on where to go and park at Tacumshin Lake (best spots), say from Tomhaggard. Have the chance to go there next weekend.
    I always go from Killinick (on the N25 to Rosslare Harbour).
    Heading south on N25 turn right directly before Kiely's petrol station (Killinick)
    Go 100m turn right.
    Keep going until you come to T junction, turn left.
    Go straight through two four-cross roads.
    At third four-cross road turn right (off the main road)
    Take first left (old castle at turn)
    Take first left (cul de sac), end of road is "east end of Tacumshin".
    Turn around and at T juction turn left, end of road is forgotten corner.

At the east end of tacumshin carpark is good place to see ducks including garganey.

The glossy ibis often hangs aroung forgotten corner.

After all the rain this week the lake will be fairly full so won't be good for waders. When the lake is not too full you can walk across the lake (westwards) to the area known as the "patches". Lake is shallow.

If you have a sat-nav the coordinates for the east end car park are:
    N 52 degrees 12.037'
    W6 degrees 25.966'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Pollardstown Fen and hinterland is pretty hard to beat - indeed I think Kildare in general is pretty underrated and overlooked by many twitchers:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Pollardstown Fen and hinterland is pretty hard to beat - indeed I think Kildare in general is pretty underrated and overlooked by many twitchers:(
    Pollardstown Fen is a beautiful place but you're just not going to get the rarities there.

Pollardstown Fen is a beautiful place but you're just not going to get the rarities there.

That may be true compared to some of our famous headlands but over the years I have seen Garganey, Marsh Harrier, Hobby and Turtle Dove there, not to mention a dazzeling array of classic wetland specialties - and thats just the birds;)

That may be true compared to some of our famous headlands but over the years I have seen Garganey, Marsh Harrier, Hobby and Turtle Dove there, not to mention a dazzeling array of classic wetland specialties - and thats just the birds;)
    When did you see the hobby, garganey? Any photos?

When did you see the hobby, garganey? Any photos?

Roughly 3 years ago but unfortunately I was armed only with binoculars at the time - the red trousers were very distinctive though;)

PS: I saw another Hobby only last year not far away near Narraghmore bog - I had the camera with me but he was moving too quick to put down the binocs and point the camera:(

any marsh/reed warbler in pollardstown fen?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Some fantastic sites in Co Wexford , from the diving Gannets off Hook Head to the Divers at Kilmore Quay , from the Crossbills high in the trees at Ravenswood and White-fronted geese at the Reserve , some of the best birding in the country.
    But pride of place has to go to Tackers , just a couple of hours last wednesday brought a couple of Short-eared Owls , Glossy ibis , Lapland bunting , a flyover Merlin , a lone Buzzard being mobbed by a pair of hoodies , and a Trio of Ringtail Hen Harriers at Lingstown , all before lunch , fantastic site.

any marsh/reed warbler in pollardstown fen?

Reed Warblers have been present in the last few years:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Reed Warblers have been present in the last few years:)
    Hi Feargal,
    Has anyone mentioned 'Broad Lough'.. (at the back of).. Tinakilly House. Co. Wicklow? A lovely marsh lake with reed beds. Just off the N11. About 20m from Cabinteely/Dun Laoire. I was there a few times. Got the name from 'sightings' from: Irishbirding.com. You will see the fantastic: White Tailed Eagle IF your lucky. Waders is a given, as are raptors of sorts...(mind you - I've seen none..yet). Plenty of various gulls, finches, warblers etc. Brent Geese fly over head too. A fantastic spot.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If any of you are up for a weekend in Dublin you should check out the Bull Island. The beach, the dune system and the salt marshes are literally teaming with birdlife. The noise alone is worth it. Lots of flocks swarming, skeins and skeins of geese, owls, birds of prey, all sorts of duck etc... It's only ten minutes from the city centre.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If any of you are up for a weekend in Dublin you should check out the Bull Island. The beach, the dune system and the salt marshes are literally teaming with birdlife. The noise alone is worth it. Lots of flocks swarming, skeins and skeins of geese, owls, birds of prey, all sorts of duck etc... It's only ten minutes from the city centre.

Hi John_Rambo,
    That's great. Good idea. Sounds really interesting and a great chance to see birds of prey...which are my absolute favourite of all the birds. PS: NEVER though you'd see birds of prey there though!:rolleyes:

sables2 wrote: »
    PS: NEVER though you'd see birds of prey there though!:rolleyes:

I know, I have seen Barn Owls, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and I think a Peregrine. There was a shot on the island of a Kestrel with a rat in it's talons on the front page of the Times a while back, here it is.

Pic-of-the-day-Aug-10-300x163.jpg

You can get really close to the wildlife, particularly the Egrets.

Kilglass Loughs, north Co. Roscommon.
    Lovely lakes with great reed beds. White Fronted G Geese, Teal, Wigeon, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Tufted Duck, Goldeneye, Cormorant, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

I've had many good days out in Kildare. Ballinafagh is a great spot as well. I have spotted hen harriers there in the past. And it's one of the places you are almost always going to see reed bunting and the odd yellow hammer.

I know, I have seen Barn Owls, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and I think a Peregrine. There was a shot on the island of a Kestrel with a rat in it's talons on the front page of the Times a while back, here it is.

Pic-of-the-day-Aug-10-300x163.jpg

You can get really close to the wildlife, particularly the Egrets.
    Hi John_Rambo,
    That's the place I'm going next..I want to see a Kestrel/sparrowhawk with a rat in it's mouth...:D. Bull Island. I heard on the 'Mooney Show' on RTE1 today that Eric Dempsey (birder/wildlife photographer) had all his camera equipment stolen from him car only recently from there. He only said it today. So, just to let the good folk here know of that matter. It's rampant apparently...:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Tacumshin lake, whats the best area for watching/photographing??

Coming from the Waterford Direction.

Thanks

Tacumshin lake, whats the best area for watching/photographing??

Coming from the Waterford Direction.

Thanks
    In my humble opinion: Broad Lough, Co. Wicklow. Stunningly beautiful lake or estuary bye the sea. You'll get the 'works' here. From a: Bull Finch to a Barnacle Goose! Great for spotting birds of prey. A photographers haven too.

sables2 wrote: »
    had all his camera equipment stolen from him car

That's rotten, but I am amazed he left his gear in the car. That's a big no-no for any professional photographer. Friends car was broken in to in Galway, cops reckon the thieves were watching her during the photo shoot. She had all her gear with her, so your right, it is rampant. Sables, have you gone yet? Any questions, just ask, I know the place very well.

Edit.. Check the tides, you will see more when it's out.

• Advertisement

That's rotten, but I am amazed he left his gear in the car. That's a big no-no for any professional photographer. Friends car was broken in to in Galway, cops reckon the thieves were watching her during the photo shoot. She had all her gear with her, so your right, it is rampant. Sables, have you gone yet? Any questions, just ask, I know the place very well.

Edit.. Check the tides, you will see more when it's out.
    Hi John_Rambo,
    It was awful about your friends camera equipment stolen. It's rampant aright. people HAVE to take much more thought as to where they will leave their expensive equipment. These guys are 'sharks' at this - it's their lively hood!!

I have been to Broad Lough: It's an excellent place. Totally recommended place to see not only birds, but, wildlife in general.

Advertisement