Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Dis-connectivity

Options
  • 22-07-2010 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

I had thought I posted on Boards before about this but I can't seem to find where in any of my posts stats. unless it was deleted.

Anyway I have Perlico Internet with a ZyXEL Modem. My o.s. is Vista, and Laptop is Advent 9415. Am connected wirelessly.

Problem: Connection drops / times out every half-hour on-the-dot, for 2-3 minutes then resumes again 2-3 minutes later. This happens every half-hour of the day I am online and is beyond a nightmare at this stage. I have no hair left to pull out lol!!

The connection doesn't drop with other laptops connected wirelessly in the house. It's just my laptop. I have zero Anti-virus software installed a.f.a.I.k. as they only f**k up everything, so please don't say "Oh it must be Norton!" :rolleyes::) It's not got to do with coverage I don't think, I'm always in excellent coverage with it. Perlico Customer Service Help are ABSOLUTELY use-less and no help what-so-ever to me!! I can't remember what Advent said when I tried them, but it musn't have been any help either. I don't know who else to ask; Internet Company Perlico Check; Laptop Company Advent Check; who else might be able help me? :( I don't see any point in bringing it in to a Computer store to ask them, as it's something got to do with my house to my laptop contents to my connection. It's between those three, as it works fine on others I have discovered, wirelessly and with cable.

I have heard of issues of similar dis-connectivity with Vodafone modems, I think every 2 hours? and it was a band-width problem I was told and they resolved it with a phone-call. But I wasn't aware there were any Band-width problems with Perlico? Like, if I go over the permited gigabytes etc. (albeit supposed to be un-limited lol!) I just get charged more, I don't know if actual usage is affected if you go over, but maybe it is, maybe this could be the reason for my half-hour time-outs .....

I have tried to connect the telephone-type cable direct from my Modem to the back of my Laptop once before, but it just stayed at Access:Local and wouldn't connect fully to allow me onto the Internet and I was without the Internet for nearly two days, with messing around with re-set buttons etc., until I managed to get it back wirelessly again, I was thrilled over the moon to get it back even with Time-outs lol! So I won't be going near cables any time again soon! Plus it's not really viable anyway, as I want to be able to move around the house without having to plug in cable at back, and not have to be near the modem which is in a different room/area. And anyways when the stupid thing lol is supposed to work wirelessly, when I haven't a clue what I'm doing I shouldn't have to be messing about with cables at the back of the laptop in the first place lol!!

Has any-one any experience with Perlico dropping its' connection or know about dis-connectivity ...... Somebody has to lol!! Please help!!!

I know a little about un-installing programmes, to see if it's a programme I have that's causing the connection-drop but I don't quite know how to test what's what ..... Plus with having to un-install and re-install every single programme it is very time-consuming ..... If I run tests as Administrator or in Safe Mode; - is this the correct method or is it better than normal?

Really need help with this. It's disrupting everything I do when it just times-out, and returns again! :confused: Really need to get this sorted a.s.a.p. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Hi confuseddotcom,

You need to do some analysis.
    download and install http://www.vistumbler.net/
    Run as administrator after the install.
    Click scan. This will tell you channels broadcast power ect..

Channels Go from 1 -12. If another wireless network is in the area it could be interfering with your wireless card on your laptop.
    If this is the case it might be worth changing the channel, if you see other networks near your channel,
    ========================
    Does it happen after you leave the connection idle for a time?
    IT could be to do with power management on the laptop.
    Start Control panel -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Manage wireless networks.

Check power management
    Click on the adapter properties button on the top bar.
    Click continue.
    Click Configure.
    Click power management.
    Check off the allow the computer turn off this device to save power.

Hope this helps
    Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Power Management was actually checked so I un-checked that box but alas it still timed-out at its usual half-hour interval lol.

I've scanned on Vistumbler as per your steps, it's just brought up 1 line - 1/1 Active Aps which looks to be mine as I recognize some of the detail in it. It's on Channel 11, and has a padlock in a green circle beside it under the # Column.

Thanksamil for your help though. Much appreciated. Is it possible for me to try moving channels? I wonder would that help or hinder it lol .... I don't know?!

Actually I wonder is there any info that I could cross-check with other laptops in the house which run perfectly against my laptop that might highlight what's wrong with mine. I might check Vistumbler on other laptop and see what channel they are on ..... But hhmmm would they be on my channel anyway runnin' off the same modem ..... I must see what power management status they are set at too .....

To answer your question Ted no - I could be workin' away on my laptop for three hours solid and like clock-work it'll just drop the connection every half-hour and start back up again a couple of minutes later. :( Emmm like the laptop itself dies and goes into sleep mode or whatever ya call it after say 6or7 hours.

hi confuseddotcom

yes you should try and change the channel.

if you put 192.168.1.1 into your browser. does it give you the admin console of the router

http://www.perlico.com/support/broadband/otherroutersetup.aspx

You should find the ability to change the channel here somewhere.
    be careful what you change though
    Hope this works out
    Ted

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should be clear though that if the other machines in the house are not losing the connection to the internet this is not a Perlico problem.

The isp's responsibility is to provide a reliable bb signal to the router/modem - in this case Perlico seem to be doing this as the other laptop problems in the house are not having problems.

In general wireless networks are the customers responsiblity and not that of the isp.

Vista doesnt have the best reputation for wireless reliability. Have you checked to see if there is a new wireless driver for your laptop.

Is there any possibility of borrowing a usb wireless dongle from somebody and trying it with your laptop? (Disable the installed one of course while you try it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What exactly will going into that Perlico link and following said steps do? Am just a bit worried in case it messes up Internet access in the house in general.

fr_ted wrote: »
    hi confuseddotcom

yes you should try and change the channel.

if you put 192.168.1.1 into your browser. does it give you the admin console of the router

http://www.perlico.com/support/broadband/otherroutersetup.aspx

You should find the ability to change the channel here somewhere.
    be careful what you change though
    Hope this works out
    Ted

• Advertisement

Hi Confueseddotcom,

All you are trying to do is change the channel.
    It should have no effect on the clients connected wirelessly to the router. They will automatically change unless you have some funny setup going on,
    i.e other wireless hardware other than laptops.

Once you login to the router using the passwords and username
    You should see configuration page.
    Click on wi fi or wireless and change the channel type to 6.

Save the settings and restart the router.

Cheers
    Ted

Advertisement