Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Landlord- Advice re rent allowance please!

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have just put my house up on daft.ie for rent , as I have moved in with "himself".
    Just today I got an email asking do I accept rent allowance. I'm totally clueless about this-does this mean accepting less rent, does it mean I have to register with Social Welfare/HSE to accept tenants who get rent allowance???

I have never rented before so would appreciate any advice from landlords.I rang my Citizens Info Centre and they gave me some info re reigstering with PRTB,lease agreements, inventorys etc, but they didn't mention rent allowance and how that works.So if you know whether I can accept rent allowance or not and if it affects the amount of rent, please let me know!Any other tips on being a landlord would be great too
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Hi littlemissteach,

When someone is asking if you accept rent allowance it means that they are being assisted by Dept of Social Welfare to pay all/part of their monthly rent. You need to decide if you want professionals (those paying rent themselves) or if you want to accept 'rent allowance' tenants. One of the benefits of the rent allowance tenants is that you can direct them to have the rent payments paid directly to your bank account thus guaranteeing your rent while the tenant is there. If any surplus is owed you will need to have organise a procedure for that also - ie, rent is €950 per month - your rent allowance tenant may only get €825 from social and they need to provide you with the additional €125 per month. Nowadays I think most rent allowances are pretty much at the going rental prices so the extra owed might not be necessary outside Dublin, but don't quote me on that.

There are a lot of things you should be looking out for when vetting prospective tenants. I've found the site - irishland.com very helpful with checklists, etc. They also have a special page for first time landlords that might be of use to you.

In any case, good luck with renting. Go with your gut on things - as usually your first instinct is the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Blizzard wrote: »
    One of the benefits of the rent allowance tenants is that you can direct them to have the rent payments paid directly to your bank account thus guaranteeing your rent while the tenant is there.

I thought this was not the case anymore, and that rent allowance was now always paid to the tenant (in arrears for the month) and the tenant then paid the landlord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

rent allowance is paid on a weekly basis to the tenant via the post office...regarding professionals and social welfare applicants there are now a lot of professionals who find themselves as social welfare applicants so OP please dont judge people on the circumstances they find themselves in due to no fault of their own
    if you are going to accept rent allowance then you need to be aware of the ceilings for rent in the different areas around ireland eg dublin the max rent allowance allowed for a couple with child is 930euro and no more so i think you should decide how much you are renting your place out for before you decide if you are RA acceptable or not
    also check out this website it may help
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Also check that there are no delays in the payment. Some places they are months behind in processing the payments. I found I got a very poor response from the local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hello again, thanks for the replies, I'm a little clearer on the rent allowance thing now.

I will be meeting a few prospective tenants next week- what questions should I be asking prospective tenants?

All advice appreciated. Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

http://www.irishlandlord.com/index.aspx?page=infocentre_articles&category=Letting+%26+Managing ,are you working, ill need letter from employer,joe works here,in permanent position,as a ,ask for 1 payslip, id,birth cert,passport etc ask for say safety deposit,900minimum.1 months rent approx .
    you need to print out a standard tenancy agreement.
    you,ll need house insurance with public liability in it,200 euro minimum more than standard insurance per year.
    many landlord s rent out to single mothers ,the limit in dublin is 930 rent per month max on rent allowance.
    you,ll need to send in a self assessment tax return at the end of the year, you get tax credits for all expenses,insurance,repairs,etc KEEP RECEIPTS FOR EVERYTHING , NO RECIEPT = no tax credit.
    be ready some people will lie,if tenant working ,they need to be earning say 400 per week,otherwise they wont be able to pay the rent.
    are they working 2 or 5days a week, ask 4, 1 payslip.

judge by appearance ,if someone is badly dressed, do not answer questions
    easily ,they are not a good tenant.
    rent allowance is paid to tenant by hse, they pay around ten per cent out of their
    own pocket.
    read that website,loads of info on it.
    try and get working tenants first,as you are a first time landlord.
    see www.prtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Anyone know a site where I can download a tenancy agreement?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

See here ,download,install foxit reader.reads pdf files.
    Google tenancy agreement sample, click on www.gmt.ie private rental sample,

also click ucc.ie RESIDENTIAL LEASE AGREEMENT.
    SEE HERE http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
    LEASES are usually 12 months minimum ,signed by all tenants ,or persons living there.
    must have a date ,start of lease.
    re tenants can claim tax credits for rent, whether you give them your rsi no.or not.
    You have to provide a rent book to the person who pays the rent,children are not considered tenants.
    you can advertise house for rent on gumtree.ie ,daft.ie, buyandsell.net
    use www.google.ie search sample tenancy agreement.
    you need proper id,passport,1 payslip, letter from employer ,im working full time 5 days a week a company x .
    SEE can you get working tenants 1st, if you have 2 students, they all must sign the lease,tenancy agreement.
    put in 4 or 5 smoke alarms, battery operated, 2 fire extingushers, 1 in kitchen, 1 in upstairs hallway,landing.put all receipts in a large envelope.
    after you get tenants ,say after a few months,register with the prtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

after you get tenants ,say after a few months,register with the prtb.

The PRTB website/form states that the fee for registering new tenants is €70 if forms/payment submitted within one month of tenant moving in; if done after they are there a month the fee is €140 - so don't wait to register tenants or it'll cost you double.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Hey OP, have a read...

Link

• Advertisement
Advertisement