Originally Posted by GlennaMaddy
I have a few days down in Kenmare next week and I'll have the bike with me, aside from Molls Gap, are there any other climbs are worth a look at?
ChallengBIG shows Ballaghbeama, Ballaghasheen and Mullaghanish nearby but any local recommendations or pointers to classic climbs that feature in the Ras, or ToI would be ideal.
Within 25km of Kenmare in either direction there are hosts of tough climbs.
(1) Molls Gap direction: Gap of Dunloe is good (200m over 3k). Also from Killarney Nat Park the Ladies View climb from the tunnel is good.
(2) Ballaghbeama is short but very steep on appalling road. Ballaghisheen has great roads and is pretty tough.
(3) from Kilgarvan (11km from Kenmare) the Borlin Valley is a nice drag - 400m over 10k. Then descend to Coomhola Bridge and go back to Kenmare via Priest Leap or Glengariff.
(4) Priests Leap. No tougher climb in Ireland except Mt Leinster possibly. 465m in about 5km. Mid 3km averages 15% with max of 28%. This climb is hell. I habe vomited, fainted and wheelied the bike on this climb. I hate it so much.
(5) Glengariff direction. Caha Pass tunnels. 300km with most climbing in 6km.
(6) Healy pass: 25km from Kenmare in Lauragh direction. Lovely climb. 5km at 5%. Stunning views.
Strawberry cottage for pancakes (3km from Molls Gap.
Packies for fish. Purple Heather or Truffle Pig for lunch.
Salvados for tapas.
Crowley for pints.
Enjoy your holiday.