Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiftkey - New improved keyboard launched for Android

Options
  • 14-07-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

http://www.swiftkey.net/

Beta version launched on the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrTT0XAPJg

Just downloaded this last night and I'm very impressed. It's very quick and easy to use and seems to know what you're going to type next! :D

I'm going to be sticking with it I think as swype doesn't do it for me and the stock htc keyboard can be a bit hit and miss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It only looks like its faster because the predictive word suggestion is a lot better. Might give it a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Swype is still faster but it does look like a good alternative to the stock keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

where did u download it from? cant find it on the market or slideme

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just about to try this out. The idea of predicting words based on those surrounding it sounds like a good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

alanc2003 wrote: »
    where did u download it from? cant find it on the market or slideme

I got it from the market. I'm running a Froyo 2.2 custom rom so I'm not sure if that maybe makes a difference.

Did you search swiftkey all one word?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I have been using this keyboard for months (on the alpha release) and find it much better than swype. It also learns the words and phrases you commonly use (by scanning your sms messages) to predict your next word.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

breeno wrote: »
    I got it from the market. I'm running a Froyo 2.2 custom rom so I'm not sure if that maybe makes a difference.

Did you search swiftkey all one word?

yeah i tried that, no luck. im using experia x10 1.6, although it does say its one of the phones on the compatibilty page. im sure it'll eventually pop up. thanks anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not showing up for me either...

Desire running custom 2.2 ROM....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

do you get that warning that you get with swype ''your keystrokes may be logged''

because if not I would use it

(I know it also needs network access and even if it did it would not upload those but if something else popped in to get the possible logged keystrokes it would be very bad)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm really liking it.
    If you only select the middle word suggestion it reads "I am a beautiful person."
    Well it does for me anyhow (must have been reading all my txts :) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

How do I get the keyboard down when I am finished with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Your going to get that keystrokes may be logged with any keyboard because they need that security permission to function. Doesn't mean that they are logging your keystrokes, just that they have the ability to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Typing now with it. It's not bad but i'll have to try out for a few days more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Using it here too and like it! Getting exclamation mark is a bit tricky thought! Keeps doing comma first....

madmoe wrote: »
    Using it here too and like it! Getting exclamation mark is a bit tricky thought! Keeps doing comma first....
    Ya that is driving me mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

IH77 wrote: »
    I have been using this keyboard for months (on the alpha release) and find it much better than swype. It also learns the words and phrases you commonly use (by scanning your sms messages) to predict your next word.

A version of swype or shapewriter with the same predictive capability would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Am i the only one who finds the stock keyyboard on the Desire to be really good ? I put skype on and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Am i the only one who finds the stock keyyboard on the Desire to be really good ? I put skype on and hated it.

I find it pretty good. So much so that whenever I hear about these great new keyboards I'm really not arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I installed this last night and found it pretty good. BUT by this morning I found my battery almost completely drained. Now the battery life isn't the best usually but I have never seen it drop from over 90% at 11pm to less than 10% by 6.30am when it wasn't even being used. Coincidence I wonder? I'll see how it goes today but it will be gone if it is the culprit.

• Advertisement

I find it pretty good. So much so that whenever I hear about these great new keyboards I'm really not arsed.

I'm with ye.

Tried it but reverted back to the stock this morning. A few things on it I did not like.

Still using it and have not seen much of a battery hit. @Ludo, do you put your phone into Airplane mode at night? I hate having to turn mine on and off but I don't want to be woken by calls etc during the night so I stick it on Airplane mode and battery drain is minimal.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

madmoe wrote: »
    Still using it and have not seen much of a battery hit. @Ludo, do you put your phone into Airplane mode at night? I hate having to turn mine on and off but I don't want to be woken by calls etc during the night so I stick it on Airplane mode and battery drain is minimal.

My routine is to power phone from laptop during the evening, turn off wifi and mobile network connection, kill all open apps using TasKiller (other than aldiko...added SwiftKey to exclude list last night). I have my phone permanently in silent mode as I have young kids. Usually loads of power left in the morning when i turn back on mobile network.
    It is doing ok this morning though. Batter usage seems same as usual since I charged it this morning. May have been a glitch last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm with ye.

Tried it but reverted back to the stock this morning. A few things on it I did not like.

yeah me too. I tried swype but hated it and swapped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Just testing this now, but I can't help Swyping.... it has become second nature to me.

Just installed Swype and have to say it wipes the floor with Swiftkey and the stock keyboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm liking Swiftkey,surprisingly accurate already. Tried Swype for a while but didn't like it tbh.

Advertisement