RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2010, 12:52   #61
Tony
Business owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
Don't fit 2011 time scale.
The only viable Ka Spot for Irish TV in 2011 I know off is a successful 13E kasat launch.
Thanks Watty, is there a launch date set for this?

I've asked some guys in the press to try find out what satellite they (RTE) have in mind (if they themselves know)
Advertisement
14-07-2010, 12:53   #62
Minstrel27
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftakeith View Post
Irish TV will be fta through an outdoor tv aerial only not satellite
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0714/dtt.html

this thread should be moved or deleted
You should be deleted. This thread is clearly about the announcement of a FTA satellite service.
14-07-2010, 12:54   #63
gtg60

Just throwing this question out there but is this of any benefit to those of us who can receive Irish DTT anyway?

It's not like it's going to provide a one box solution with Irish and UK channels with one 7 day EPG.

My initial excitement has petered out when I realised there would be more expense and different equipment involved. So, really, IMHO this is only of benefit to those who cannot receive Irish DTT.
(2) thanks from:
14-07-2010, 12:59   #64
Minstrel27
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg60 View Post
IMHO this is only of benefit to those who cannot receive Irish DTT.
The announcement was for the PSB (and TV3) channels so if you have DTT then there would be nothing to get giddy about. IMO of course.
14-07-2010, 13:01   #65
cgarvey

Well the RTE CFO believes that a SD DTT picture (RTE on test DTT) is better than a HD satellite picture (BBC HD), so probably not!

When more equipment becomes available later, it might make more sense. (I.e. better EPG integration, etc.).
Advertisement
14-07-2010, 13:01   #66
Tony
Business owner

Possibly but I think if they use the right satellite (astra 2 would be my preference but seems unlikely ) and get a good one box solution it could actually kill DTT in the long term in my opinion.

Quote:
Just throwing this question out there but is this of any benefit to those of us who can receive Irish DTT anyway?

It's not like it's going to provide a one box solution with Irish and UK channels with one 7 day EPG.

My initial excitement has petered out when I realised there would be more expense and different equipment involved. So, really, IMHO this is only of benefit to those who cannot receive Irish DTT.
14-07-2010, 13:06   #67
Onthe3rdDay
Closed Account

So to summarise.

DTT coverage for at least 90 percent of population,
This new System to cover the rest, the perfect excuse not to replace relays.
Sky to continue to charge for it's encrypted RTE signal

Frankly it's a bit of a cop out. Those that have sky boxes and stop subscribing (which is far more likely to happen in the months to come!) will have to get either A DTT TV or box to keep receiving RTE.

A FTV card using the sky system would have been a more sensible option but I don't have to tell that to people on here.

I'm not disappointed with RTE. It's done it too often before. It's Like being in an emotionally dead relationship where you stay together for other reasons than love.
14-07-2010, 13:07   #68
gtg60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Possibly but I think if they use the right satellite (astra 2 would be my preference but seems unlikely ) and get a good one box solution it could actually kill DTT in the long term in my opinion.
Oh, yes, agreed, if we could have got it on the same sat with equipment we already have then it'd have been a winner but alas...
14-07-2010, 13:10   #69
cgarvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthe3rdDay View Post
DTT coverage for at least 90 percent of population,
98% is the goal (with various targets before ASO).

Not sure FTV Card scheme is viable (especially given the subsidy level required to just serve 2% population). There'd still be a massive encryption bill to pay (assuming the Sky deal would quickly go sour if there was any mention of FTA or an FTV card scheme).

We can only hope that EU regulation will catch up on Sky before we realise that dream of a Sky box, without sub, getting RTE, I think.
Advertisement
14-07-2010, 13:10   #70
pitkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65 View Post
Wasn't aware of a one dish rule, what happens if I stick an additional dish on a pole in my back garden?
Neither was I . I have 4 dishes in my back garden.
14-07-2010, 13:11   #71
Tony
Business owner

Quote:
Oh, yes, agreed, if we could have got it on the same sat with equipment we already have then it'd have been a winner but alas...
Well even if it is hotbird as Watty suggests its not a complete disaster as both hotbird and astra 2 can be received on the same dish so with the right lnb's and switching the satellite choice would be transparent to the receiver. I fear though if it means larger dishes this will be an obstacle to take up.
14-07-2010, 13:11   #72
watty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Thanks Watty, is there a launch date set for this?

I've asked some guys in the press to try find out what satellite they (RTE) have in mind (if they themselves know)
Launch date Q3 2010 originally for the most likely candidate.
Seems to have slipped
http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/u...-launches.html
Quote:
KA-SAT
Ordered by Eutelsat from EADS Astrium, KA-SAT is scheduled for launch between November 2010 and January 2011. Entirely innovative in design, the satellite will be configured with over 80 spotbeams, with a network of eight ground stations connecting to the Internet backbone.

The KA-SAT programme is to deliver efficient resources for the mass-market delivery of the Tooway™ consumer broadband service, targeted at users across Europe and the Mediterranean Basin located beyond range of ADSL networks. With a throughput of over 70 Gigabits per second, KA-SAT will be capable of serving over one million users who expect bandwidth and prices comparable to ADSL2 performance.

Eutelsat will also drive the development of satellite-based consumer broadband services with triple-play capability, by combining broadband services in the Ka-band, through KA-SAT, with the reception of TV channels in the Ku-band. In order to facilitate the availability of high-performance triple-play equipment at competitive prices, Eutelsat will deploy the KA-SAT satellite to 9° East. This deployment will simplify production of dual-feed antennas transmitting and receiving broadband services in the Ka-band from 9° East, and receiving television in the Ku-band from Eutelsat’s flagship HOT BIRD™ neighbourhood at 13° East.
Also some confusion if it's 9E or 13E
Originally discussed as 13E when I met Tooway guys 2 years ago. But now seems to be 9E.
Pluses: 9E is MUCH better elevation than 28.E Sky/Freesat. Less likely trees/roof block. Fitting on rear of roof overlooking house easier.
Minus: while a 9E/13E combo Ka/Ku is possible a 9E ka/ 28E Ku combo is very challanging (one Dish rule)

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooway
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA-SAT

This demo dish/feed may infact be 13E ku on front LNB and 9E ka on disk reflector/rear BUC+LNB
Dark rectangular box is power Amp for transmitter. 3 IF cables. Ku TV, Ka Internet Downlinkk + TV and Ka Internet uplink. Ka TV can only use one polarisation if Internet is installed.

The Ireland Spot on Kasat would only need maybe 40cm for TV Receive only. Internet works on staggeringly small 43cm compared to 95cm mostly needed now.

Last edited by watty; 14-07-2010 at 13:20.
Thanks from:
14-07-2010, 13:13   #73
Tony
Business owner

Yep 9e and 28 is a non runner in my opinion.
14-07-2010, 13:14   #74
zerks

Let's all prepare to be let down by RTE (again)-that way we won't be disappointed.
14-07-2010, 13:20   #75
Onthe3rdDay
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarvey View Post
98% is the goal (with various targets before ASO).

Not sure FTV Card scheme is viable (especially given the subsidy level required to just serve 2% population). There'd still be a massive encryption bill to pay (assuming the Sky deal would quickly go sour if there was any mention of FTA or an FTV card scheme).

We can only hope that EU regulation will catch up on Sky before we realise that dream of a Sky box, without sub, getting RTE, I think.
Of course for 2% of population it's not viable. However, there are a huge amount of people who have SKY now who only pay to receive RTE. If RTE was free there would be a huge move over to A FTV card.

I don't have the exact figure but at the moment RTE claim that roughly 98% can get the analogue signal. However, in a lot of cases in the 85-98% range that signal is poor to say the least.

Obviously with DTT you either get it or you don't. However, the way RTE operate their claim that 98% will be covered has to be viewed with suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarvey View Post
Well the RTE CFO believes that a SD DTT picture (RTE on test DTT) is better than a HD satellite picture (BBC HD), so probably not!
As you point out yourself, they really know what they're talking about!!!

Last edited by Onthe3rdDay; 14-07-2010 at 13:23. Reason: poor grammer

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion