Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schumacher to retire again at the end of 2010?

Options
  • 13-07-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

Bernie Ecclestone has suggested that Schumacher may retire again at the end of the season if he thinks he's unable to fight for the podium.

He signed a 3 year contract. Will he walk after 1 year?

Will Schumacher retire at the end of 2010? 18 votes

Yes. The car isn't good enough.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes. He's not up to it.
    22% 4 votes
    Yes. Both of the above.
    44% 8 votes
    He'll stay on.
    33% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

If Merc can design next years car more around Schumachers wishes I believe he'll come into his own. And unlike the 2010 car, Schuey will more input into the design of next years car.

To be fair to him, coming back after 3 years and driving cars that are totally different to the cars he had been driving, he's not actually that slow at all. Bear in mind Rosberg has had a years head start on the new spec cars and when you think about it, Schueys not that much slower than him.

Look at Luca Badoer (or Fisi) vs Raikkonen last year, that's being slower than your team mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

He has nothing to lose by staying on. Most people are already saying he's past it. If he retires they'll be vindicated, whereas if he stays on he's got a chance to prove them wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He has nothing to lose by staying on. Most people are already saying he's past it. If he retires they'll be vindicated, whereas if he stays on he's got a chance to prove them wrong.

Agreed, it's killing me seeing him back but not in a very competetive car (I know Rosberg has had two podiums). Would just love to see him in his comfort zone & challenge the leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He is pretty much on the pace yet seems to be missing that ability to gain the odd place during the race that he very much had.
    Im sure he will be around next year & I certainly wouldnt rule out podiums this year.
    The biggest worry I have about his situation now is that if rosberg continues to demonstrate that he is quicker, the team will be designing around him & not schumacher. If schumacher finds himself in that situation, he wouldnt be hanging around. Can see schmacher having the benefit of the doubt for next years car so Id say year 3 is the doubtful one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

He will stay
    How good a year did he have in his first season with Ferrari??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

vectra wrote: »
    He will stay
    How good a year did he have in his first season with Ferrari??

Think he finished 3rd in the drivers standings iirc. The car he had in his first year at Ferrari was even more of a handful than the Merc. IIRC it was nicknamed 'the tank' or something like that as it was so hard to drive. He won 3 races that year in a terrible car.

There's no way he'll walk away after one year back,he's not the type to just walk away from something. He'll be frustrated with the car but with more personal input into the 2011 car i think he'll relish the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

whereas if he stays on he's got a chance to prove them wrong.

he's got nothing to prove to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

lord lucan wrote: »
    IIRC it was nicknamed 'the tank' or something like that .

Was that the car irvine called a brick or 'slow as a brick'?

pathway33 wrote: »
    Was that the car irvine called a brick or 'slow as a brick'?

Yeah,i think so. Both Irvine & Schumacher hated it. Said it was virtually impossible to drive. Can't remember the stats but Irvine struggled badly with it and Schumacher only marginally better,though still extracting 3 wins from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Think he finished 3rd in the drivers standings iirc. The car he had in his first year at Ferrari was even more of a handful than the Merc. IIRC it was nicknamed 'the tank' or something like that as it was so hard to drive. He won 3 races that year in a terrible car.

Well even Irvine managed to score a podium with it, and had 7 retirements in a row or something like that, so I don't think it was as slow as some people would make it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

I think alot of people on here forget that when Michael went to ferrari, they were not competitive at all. He has always stated the he loves the challenge of turning an uncompetitive car into a race winning car. Saying that, it was easier back then when there was so much testing. But to answer the poll- yes he will stay on for the remaining 2 years. Watch this video- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8807487.stm and pay attention to around the 2:20 mark. When youv watched it once, watch it a second time. Now, what way are you going to vote now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can still see him snatching a win this year,he wont go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Is it fair to ask if that Merc car is last years car with a few upgrades?

The logic I am working off here is that Brawn had to keep developing all year in 2009 because they were in the race for the constructors championship. Meaning this years car was going to be a bit behind.

If they are already concentrating on next years car then next year is the year I would judge Schumacher on and not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I think he'll stay on myself and to be honest i'm getting a bit sick of the older generation such as Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss weighing in on Schumachers abilities and choice to return to the sport. I don't mean to sound ageist and I know he had a fall recently but zero times world champion Stirling Moss was interviewed at Silverstone at the weekend and the poor aul divil didn't know what was going on. I'd really love to see Schumi prove the old codgers wrong and get a few podiums before the end of the season.

My only concern with Schumacher is a possible lack of confidence that can affect older individuals in any given sport. Its possible that while he may still have the ability, deep down he may be lacking some of the confidence that made him the tenacious driver he was in the past. I must admit it was surprising to see just how easily Sutil got by him on Sunday.

What are the chances of Mercedes eventually pushing him out if his results don't improve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

what else is he going to do? theres a reason he came back he needs it
    he has all the money and a family and yet he still wants to turn up after 3 years of being away..he's not well, guys like him and armstrong they just cant leave, they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

+1 on the older drivers going on about him, they think that because they are worshiped by the british press that their word is gospel, when its far from it.

Wonder what would be saying if he wins at the next GP?

I'd love to see him win at Spa,his favourite track. Maybe a repeat of 1998,half the field obliterated and Michael to weave his way through the carnage and romp to a win!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I hope he stays on, and ignores all the nonsense about his 'legacy' (even if he suddenly turns into Ricardo Rosset, I think seven championships are enough to preserve his place in history). However, I have a horrible feeling that he'll quit at the end of the year and will be "moved upstairs", retaining some kind of nonsense ambassadorial role. With Schumacher, the unexpected usually happens.

He's effectively driving Jenson Button's car this year. That car was designed before Button decided to go to McLaren, and both drivers have massively different styles. Schumacher will never be a smooth driver like Button - he needs a 'pointy' car; one that he can throw into corners and then bring under control, mid-corner. His biggest problem this year isn't that the car is bad (if that were the case, he'd be at least as quick as Rosberg) - it's that it just won't do what he wants it to do. Combine that with the fact that he's in his 40s and a bit rusty, und du hast eine Katastrophe.

I really hope Mercedes design a more Schumacher-esque car next year. Although, if they do, I pity Nico Rosberg...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Maybe a repeat of 1998,half the field obliterated and Damon Hill to weave his way through the carnage and romp to a win!:D
    FYP!

FYP!

Lol. Schumacher would have won if Coulthard hadn't lifted!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Theres only one circumstance that I can think that MS would quit in the forseeable future, and I dare not post it for fear of tempting fate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

There's no way he'll walk away after one year back,he's not the type to just walk away from something. He'll be frustrated with the car but with more personal input into the 2011 car i think he'll relish the challenge.

I think people forget that back then there was a bigger difference between the top teams and bottom. So even though the Ferrari was a "tank" it would have been streets ahead of the lower ranking teams. This is no loger the case - thankfully!! F1 has become way more competitive. Even the Lotus, Virgin and Hispania would mostly still qualify under the old 107% rule which a lot of teams couldnt do in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Theres only one circumstance that I can think that MS would quit in the forseeable future, and I dare not post it for fear of tempting fate!

Hush now...none f that type of chat allowed!

BBC are quoting him as aiming for the 2011 title, as much of a Schumi fan as I am, it's a fairly cock sure optimistic stance to take.

"Michael Schumacher says he will drive for Mercedes next season because he wants to win an eighth world championship." more here

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

De Hipster wrote: »
    Hush now...none f that type of chat allowed!

BBC are quoting him as aiming for the 2011 title, as much of a Schumi fan as I am, it's a fairly cock sure optimistic stance to take.

"Michael Schumacher says he will drive for Mercedes next season because he wants to win an eighth world championship." more here

Well it would be fairly silly to aim for last place wouldnt it? I know any competition or race i take part in, i "aim" to win- doesnt mean it happens. Im sure you are well aware that things can swing around fairly quick in F1- so in my eyes, a 7 times world champion aiming to win isnt really cocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd have thought if Mercedes have their thinking caps on they will have given up on some of the development for this season and be focusing on next year, would explain some of the crappy form Schumi's been having in practice sessions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Well it would be fairly silly to aim for last place wouldnt it? I know any competition or race i take part in, i "aim" to win- doesnt mean it happens. Im sure you are well aware that things can swing around fairly quick in F1- so in my eyes, a 7 times world champion aiming to win isnt really cocky.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a competitor so I understand drive & ambition but do try to base my aspirations vaguely at least on the realities of the situation.

I would love to see him take the crown again & especially in conjunction with a Ross Braun team connection, I think it will be a difficult task with his off time, age & the ever improving 'next generation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd have thought if Mercedes have their thinking caps on they will have given up on some of the development for this season and be focusing on next year, would explain some of the crappy form Schumi's been having in practice sessions. :pac:

Has anyone ever got the feeling that his main role is in developing next years car?
    Let Rosberg do the running this year?

Just a thought

Advertisement