Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Speed Photography

Options
  • 07-07-2010 11:26pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi

I've been trying some high speed stuff and was wondering what people think.

There's just a few shots but please feel free to comment good or bad, thanks.

I have put more efforts into the "landing zone" more so than the crowns themselves.

http://pix.ie/thefly/photos/top

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Left comments on ur pixie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

high speed has been made easier with the casio compacts !!! (45fps and 60fps...I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sorry but after these comments:
    thefly wrote: »
    Looks nice and the tones are nice but I've seen it 1000's of time before. No originality IMO of course
    All brutal but then again I am yet to be impressed by any of the boards posters either

I honestly expected more than a few high speed snaps that look like images I used to get on stock photo CD's 9/10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Where are those quotes from? If that is really how you feel thefly, then why care what the boards posters have to say on your images?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Where are those quotes from? If that is really how you feel thefly, then why care what the boards posters have to say on your images?

I dont but I was asked to put up some shots so I did. Just a littlr side project I've been working on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

steve06 wrote: »

I honestly expected more than a few high speed snaps that look like images I used to get on stock photo CD's 9/10 years ago.
    indeed. colour me disappointed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any, some slightly more constructive comments; these seem to be a technical rather than an aesthetic endeavour. i can imagine they took skill to achieve, but they don't do anything for me.

Ah well, you win some you lose some. Thanks for the feedback though.

What stock website did you use? Can you send me a link so I can compare. That would be great if you could show me some examples of the stock images you have used before. Maybe we can do a like for like, put some of mine next to the stock images and see what others think??

Anyway just a thought

any, some slightly more constructive comments; these seem to be a technical rather than an aesthetic endeavour. i can imagine they took skill to achieve, but they don't do anything for me.

Yeah it takes a while but I am working up to double collisions. Now thats a real skill!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055961902&page=3

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you can send me a link to these photo's you have used before??? Maybe you can post some and let everyone see them. I would really like to see what I'm up against

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just wondering if you can send me a link to these photo's you have used before??? Maybe you can post some and let everyone see them. I would really like to see what I'm up against

Not sure if you can post a link to a CD?

This could be thefly in the ointment if we don't get to see these CD photos.

Anybody?

As I said, they were images I used a long time ago in a company I used to work for. We ordered them on CD and they were from Corbis if I remember correctly and they probably don't even sell them any more.

More so, my point is that you complained about not being imaginative or original. Then you say you're not impressed by any of the boards posters... how many photos have you seen of high speed water drops? Search any stock photo website for hundreds of results.

Each to their own, but your photos did nothing for me personally.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Not sure if you can post a link to a CD?

This could be thefly in the ointment if we don't get to see these CD photos.

Anybody?

Why post the first sentence when the second sentence clearly says "CD Photo's"

Surely your first comment wasn't an attempt of humor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

facepalm3.jpg?w=500&h=400

...it's only Thursday!

As I said, they were images I used a long time ago in a company I used to work for. We ordered them on CD and they were from Corbis if I remember correctly and they probably don't even sell them any more.

More so, my point is that you complained about not being imaginative or original. Then you say you're not impressed by any of the boards posters... how many photos have you seen of high speed water drops? Search any stock photo website for hundreds of results.

Each to their own, but your photos did nothing for me personally.

I have seen thousands, none like mine though.............honestly. Having said that I have seen high speed stuff that is out of this world good too.

I complained about originality absolutely!!!! The image I complained about was a close up of a flower, what next a homeless person or swans?? I have no issue with flowers and like I said in that post, the tones were good and it was a nice image but why not try a bit more. My shots for example. Yes 1000,s upon 1000,s of high speed splashes/crowns but what I did is concentrate on the landing zone as opposed to the crowns themselves. I tried to take something that is done day in day out and put a little creative twist on it. Instead of the usual. Again I challenge you to find images that look like mine. I would really like to see a comparison

And again, thank you very much for the feed back. If the photo's did nothing for you then so be it. Thanks for looking in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Here's a stock photo for you...

obvious_troll.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=highspeed+splash+spoon&m=text

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=highspeed+splash+CD&m=text

Have a look through, most of the images have a lot of imagination and great colours to make them stand out.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=highspeed+splash+spoon&m=text

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=highspeed+splash+CD&m=text

Have a look through, most of the images have a lot of imagination and great colours to make them stand out.

Wow they're amazing! Thanks for sharing!!!! A lot better than mine to be fair

Tallon wrote: »
    Here's a stock photo for you...

obvious_troll.jpg

Great shot Tallon very creative thanks for sharing but I don't see how it has any relevance to high speed photography. Although I really like the shot, lovely composition. Would you consider this street photography or fine art. I'm thinking fine art myself. The banality of the image leads me to believe there is an undercurrent and because the image is so obvious there must be a hidden meaning. What I get from it is that you are trying to highlight the needless over spending for a modern Irish wedding. You spend so much on your perfect day and want to celebrate with your family and friends when really you don't know half the people there and you feel like your just talking to trolls???? That's my interpretation, what do you think?

PS
    Do you have any images of droplets or high speed stuff. I'd love to see if you do

• Advertisement

Do you have any images of droplets or high speed stuff. I'd love to see if you do

Your a very hungrly little troll, but I'll feed you anyway

A4792DD5CFDA4E88A5CEC0D3B54FC7A3-800.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

@thefly- why won't you inbed the pics in the thread?

humberklog wrote: »
    @thefly- why won't you inbed the pics in the thread?

I have been trying but don't know how :-(

Any tips

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I have been trying but don't know how :-(

Any tips

Yep...look in the FAQ thread.

Your a very hungrly little troll, but I'll feed you anyway

A4792DD5CFDA4E88A5CEC0D3B54FC7A3-800.jpg

Cool shot but the flash is a little of putting. How did you make the bubble? It looks cool.

Also whats the spec on this shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I think "crowning glory" is the best of the set - one thing Id suggest is using a plain black background the foam stuff(?) is kinda distracting.

Cool shot but the flash is a little of putting. How did you make the bubble? It looks cool.

Also whats the spec on this shot?

More? You want more? i thought that last picture would have filled you up... ah well

Camera: Sony a200
    Lense: Sigma 70-300mm 1:4 - 5.6 Macro
    Shutter: Remote release
    Flash: Sunpak 888AFZ (Wireless behind subject would work better)

> Settings <
    Focul lenght: 200mm
    ISO: 100
    F-stop: f14
    Exposure: 1/200

I felt the same about the flash... great minds and all that :rolleyes:

Trev M wrote: »
    I think "crowning glory" is the best of the set - one thing Id suggest is using a plain black background the foam stuff(?) is kinda distracting.

It was a baking tray but thanks for the advice. It does work well in some shots but probably not this one.

Thanks again for the C&C

More? You want more? i thought that last picture would have filled you up... ah well

Camera: Sony a200
    Lense: Sigma 70-300mm 1:4 - 5.6 Macro
    Shutter: Remote release
    Flash: Sunpak 888AFZ (Wireless behind subject would work better)

> Settings <
    Focul lenght: 200mm
    ISO: 100
    F-stop: f14
    Exposure: 1/200

Have you considered shooting in the dark?(or candle light anyway) That way you can have a longer shutter speed and let the flash capture the explosion/droplet/crown

I felt the same about the flash... great minds and all that :rolleyes:

Of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Thread has been locked... I see nothing of interest here only people attacking each other, if you would all like to step away from you computers, take some photo's.

That is all...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement