Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher

Options
  • 06-07-2010 9:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've just spent a while watching a kingfisher feeding on the Tolka near where I live (near Ashtown), and what a stunningly beautiful bird it is.
    It's at least 5 years since I last saw one around here - there are very elusive so it was probably there all the time and I just missed it.
    I've yet to see a photo or illustration that comes close to capturing the phenomenal shades of blue in these birds - it's like they are lit up from the inside!!

I'd love to get a photo of it,but it's so fast I'd never catch it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Fantastic birds , their is a few holding territory on the Barrow near where i live and i get an odd glimpse of them.
    As you said , very difficult to capture on camera but if you go to Birdforum.net some truly amazing images on here especially by Katz and Targetman.
    Regards Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Cardynal wrote: »
    Fantastic birds , their is a few holding territory on the Barrow near where i live and i get an odd glimpse of them.
    As you said , very difficult to capture on camera but if you go to Birdforum.net some truly amazing images on here especially by Katz and Targetman.
    Regards Tom

Is Inistiog on the Barrow? I'll be down there tomorrow with the family and if I thought there was a chance of seeing a kingfisher then I'd bring my spotting scope with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Gaspode, if you put up a stick slightly overhanging the river near trees you might get lucky, they are birds of habit and would normally use the same route in their territory for feeding, if there is food available in the area that you put the stick they might start using it. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Is Inistiog on the Barrow? I'll be down there tomorrow with the family and if I thought there was a chance of seeing a kingfisher then I'd bring my spotting scope with me.

Inistoige is on the Barrow allright , lots of luck involved in seeing the kingfisher but throw in the scope anyway.
    Woodstock estate is quite a good spot for Jays (the monkey puzzle walk is usually fairly good) , also iv'e seen a few Barn owls at dusk this summer if youre in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

article-1288468-0A2135B0000005DC-893_634x397.jpg

If you're interested there's a guy who built his own kingfisher nesting site (so avoided the nest/photo licensing laws) and took some Amazing photos.
    A friend of mine has a bird blog and posted the link to the daily mail article ..
    The photos of the chick kingfishers are unreal.

here's the link for the article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1288468/A-fish-supper-fit-king-Enchanting-images-inside-kingfishers-nest-mum-AND-dad-deal-dinner-time.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A dead Kingfisher was found beside my house yesterday. Presumed collision with window. :(

I took a few photos before burying it.

They are a remarkable shape of bird and so small in the hand. Small wings and the long beak. Myself and kids took opportunity to have a close look and I give you opportunity via the attachments.

Ahh such a pity, a female too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ahh such a pity, a female too. :(
    How does one tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Inistoige is on the Barrow allright , lots of luck involved in seeing the kingfisher but throw in the scope anyway.
    Woodstock estate is quite a good spot for Jays (the monkey puzzle walk is usually fairly good) , also iv'e seen a few Barn owls at dusk this summer if youre in that area.

Inistioge is on the Nore, Graiguenamanagh is on the Barrow though and is nearby.
    I've only seen one along the Barrow between Graigue and Borris, but a couple on the Suir up past Carrick-on-Suir. Hope that helps!

Mothman wrote: »
    How does one tell?

The lower beak is red on the female

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

The lower beak is red on the female
    Never knew that, you learn something new everyday:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

I found one in September on a river beside me, he couldn't fly so i tuck him home and put him in a large box with a bucket of water from the river with a few stickle backs in it, put a branch over the bucket and he came good after 2 days so i let him off where i found him.
    I still see him well i think its him as there ain't that many around.
    I don't think a camera can do a kingfisher justice they are magic.
    (excuse my filthy hands:o)

kingfisherback.jpg

kingfisher.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Brilliantly done i am very impressed there must be some new kingfishers flying around now because of your actions.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I used to live beside the Tolka further downstream from Ashtown where the OP saw a kingfisher. There were always a pair buzzing up and down along there, so it looks like the Tolka is a good spot for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've seen them on the Liffey at Manor Kilbride and on the King's River above Hollywood. Whoever said they're magic absolutely nailed it. It's been absolutely years and those sightings are still engraved in my memory, clear as day. The one I saw on the King's River was only a few feet away as well, and I tell you, he caught a damn sight more than I did that day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Into Everything

I've seen a couple in Inistioge. Check the stream on the New Ross side of the bridge. St Mullins in Carlow is my favourite spot for Kingfisher watching. Not great for photographing though as they are always on the far side of the river which is about 20-30ft wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

i seen one last summer at the lucan demesne. absolutely phenomenal thing to see in flight. it was the first time i saw one and im always looking out for birds.

anyway ive kept walking the same route at the same time and i still havent seen it again.

it was evening time and whatever way the sun caught it, it really was like a flying neon sign.

i wonder how the came to be native to ireland? i mean its sheer colour doesnt help it blend in well?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Some of you might find this interesting. Article about a dublin photographer who captured a Kingfisher diving and catching a fish.

Link Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wildirishswan

Here is a video of some work i did with Dublins Kingfishers.

VIDEO LINK.......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-3xfAqka8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wildirishswan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

I live near a canal and used to see a Kingfisher regularly in the same spot but haven't seen him in a long time now. He's the only one I have ever seen, lovely little blue and orange fellow. They must be awfully scarce?
    Is there any particular areas to look out for them? There's a good 3 or 4 miles stretch of canal and I'd love to get a pic of one this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I was down by the Liffey at the Memorial Park last monday morning, and caught a whirr of blue zipping across my vision. I am hoping it was a kingfisher! I will head back as soon as I can and have a good look.

Lucan demesne is where it's at! Kingfisher central for me this last few weeks. I see them everyday but they are tiny and I can see how easy it is for people not to see them. You have to train your eyes a bit to spot them. Great craic watching them though. The wife thinks I'm a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Gaspode, you are more than half way to getting good photographs of the bird.
    You have found a spot where they are fishing. As rainbowsend said they are creatures of habit. All you need to do is set the camera up focus on a regular perch and have a little patience.

Then it is easy to get images like this one from the dodder.
    5434353B32CD4CBFA9EA7D2E8346A073-0000314502-0002845925-00800L-298EF3AEBCB3498BB55AA45D22C40545.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Speaking of the Dodder, has anyone seen any Kingfishers on it this year?

I used to see them quite regularly down around Milltown but havn't seen any this year, I suspect the extreme flooding before xmas had something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

emo72 wrote: »
    Lucan demesne is where it's at! Kingfisher central for me this last few weeks. I see them everyday but they are tiny and I can see how easy it is for people not to see them. You have to train your eyes a bit to spot them. Great craic watching them though. The wife thinks I'm a nutter.

Is that the same as St. Catherine's Park or is it somewhere else along the river around Lucan?

cscook wrote: »
    Is that the same as St. Catherine's Park or is it somewhere else along the river around Lucan?

St Catherine's park is the north side of the Liffey? Well I'm talking about the Lucan entrance at the statoil garage. Walk along the river and they are there. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

See them anytime I'm fishing the dodder there's a nesting pair under the bridge at firhouse and funny enough there is Dippers beside them in a different hole

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I was away for a bit, so didn't get a chance to have a dander down the Liffey until this morning. Had the telescope on a kingfisher for a good few seconds before it zipped off again. Judging by all the posts here they are regularly spotted in Dublin. I have a week off next month... I have a plan now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

You buried it! You could have put it in the post for me to get stuffed

Great photo above.

Check out this photo on the Native Birds forum
    http://www.nativebirds.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24432

Advertisement