Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 - Slow Ctrl-ALt-Del, Reaction Slow to switch to menu in games, Slow UAC.

Options
  • 03-07-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭

I'm having a strange problem with Windows 7 Home Premium, which I'm hoping some of you can give me advice on.

When I press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the menu where I'm given the option of switching user/logigng off/changing password/starting tast manager, the computer will freeze for about 15 seconds with the display as it is, then it will go black for about 5 seconds, and finally the menu will appear.

If I select task manger, the screen will go black again for a few seconds before task manager appears. Throughout this process, any music playing will continue.

This does not happen If I right-click the task bar and select task manager.

Possible graphics problem?

If the UAC screen comes up, the display will also go black for a second or two before it appears or dissappears.

Within games, GRAW 2(Disk Install) and GTA: San Andreas(Steam), there is about a 20-30(A little less in GRAW 2) second lockout whenever I switch between the game environment and the menu. The actual gameplay is flawless, it's just switching to the menu that causes a problem.

However, I didn't have this problem in Rainbow 6: Vegas 2.

I had a slight problem with ATI Catalyst Control Centre a few weeks back (which may be related), which wouldn't allow it to start if I installed a newer version than Dell supplied. A recent update from Dell solved this, and I now have 10.6 installed. The problem remains, however.

I looked in event manager and didn't see anything related really.

The problems seem to be related, and seem to me to be to do with the graphics card switching between modes or something. I just dont know!

Anyone have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Regards,
    Kev

Specs:
    Dell XPS
    Windows 7 Home Premuim - 64 Bit
    Intel Core i7 860
    8GB RAM
    ATI HD5770 (CCC Version - 10.6)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I had a similar issue recently but on XP.

That turned out to be an incompatible graphics driver even though the device manager reported that I had the correct one installed.

Because of that I didn't think it was the G driver but it most definitely was.

It was a no name PC & I used Speccy to identify the board & went to that manufactures site for the graphics driver, installed it & everything was fine.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

I've got the correct graphics driver, and I've had the problem no matter which version I have installed, wierd problem alright!

Advertisement