Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfinished building off North Wall Quay

Options
  • 02-07-2010 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what this is? Massive yoke about 8-10 storeys high, just a skeleton at present. Looks like a casualty of the crash etc but anyone know what it was going to be or whether it will be finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is? Massive yoke about 8-10 storeys high, just a skeleton at present. Looks like a casualty of the crash etc but anyone know what it was going to be or whether it will be finished?

The New Anglo-Irish Bank head office ?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

yes the anglo headquarters

most likely be demolished as anglo will never have a need for such a building also dont think there are planning issues around the buliding whic could also mean it may be knocked based on them issues.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sdonn wrote: »
    You must have been living on the moon sdonn!!! That unfinished Anglo HQ has been constantly in the news for the past 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It might not be demolished, there were inklings in the news this year of Anglo trying to get finance to finish it.(NAMA involved)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cheers folks - that's wierd I'm not one to live under a rock but I never knew anglo were after a new place..

It'd be a great pity to demolish it, surely it would be in the government's interest to buy it off them knockdown, finish it and sell it when the market improves? Or maybe use it as a public building? An investment for the sate is better than a pile of shíte for us taxpayers to pay to have cleaned up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Anglo have pulled out of becoming a tenant. The building will get planning and be finished (my tuppence)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's a pic of the building in question (taken in November 2008).

NorthWallQuayAngloBuildingunderCons.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

that building has become the image of the nama/recession/banking collapse for me-its in every news report and even reports on ireland in other countries have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I work a bit on the other side of the river and I always get the feeling when I look at that building that somethings not quite right. The pic attached in the previous post kinda confirms it for me. It looks like the building on the left is higher on the left side than the right side. An illusion because the pic is not 100% straight?? (no offense Wishbone) but why does it look the same to me when I'm standing on Rogersons quay looking across. Someone who knows building design will probably have an explanation,but it does remind me of the many F ups I've made through the years when building stuff :pac:
    Good lord,wouldn't it be funny if it turned out that the builder did indeed make a booboo.

It was built by Liam Carroll so it's probably just crap TBH and you're not wrong. It could also be different floor to ceiling heights on each side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

df1985 wrote: »
    that building has become the image of the nama/recession/banking collapse for me.

+1 on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I thought you guys were joking when you said Anglo.

Anyway it looks exactly like that now. You can't help but stare at it when you go buy.

That whole area in fact is a strange part of town regarding buildings new and old. Funny atmosphere. Has alot going for it but will take a long time to turn around now. If there were bars and stuff around it would be a nice alternative to the regular spots around the city.

Anyway, Anglo indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

There was an interesting article in the NY Times earlier in the week about the Irish economy and a picture of the unfinished Anglo HQ was used as an example of how bad things have gotten.

Linky

Then again, the NYT also used a picture of the flats in Ballymun as an example of the housing market :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

jdivision wrote: »
    Anglo have pulled out of becoming a tenant. The building will get planning and be finished (my tuppence)

I think they should just leave it in it's unfinished state, paint it white and let it be a monument to everything that was wrong in this country over the last 20-odd years.............

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Anglo should be made move in now! Top floor, get up there. What do you mean it's too blustery and dangerous?

>_>

<_<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

That building is our next door neighbour! We're in the Richford Motors building beside it and its surreal to look out the window and see it. It won't be knocked but it might take years before its finished. They did a huge amount of work to create the foundations for the buildings that were due to go in there (the Anglo building was just one of them). I will take a few shots from our roof and post them here on Monday.

The funny size difference you see is an illusion caused by the funny shape of the front of the building. The left hand side sort of comes out towards the corner of Wapping Street in a triangle whereas the right hand side is more parallel to the quay.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

That concrete structure has been exposed to the elements since Sept 2008. In winter there is usually a constant cascade of water from the top. I can't see how the structure is still sound after 3 winters of Irish weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm surprised that the tower cranes are still in situ. Maybe it's just an indication of how severe the slowdown in the construction industry has been that they're not needed elsewhere and it's cheaper to just leave them there.
    But I still wonder who's picking up the tab - hopefully not the taxpayer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I worked on that job, drove one of the towercranes, there were different
    stories going around, but as far as i know Liam Carroll is in a legal dispute
    over a right of way with one of the lands neighbours aswell as he's other problems!.

The build cost €40million before it was stopped.
    State of the art Geo-thermal heatin pipes are in the floor.

NAMA will more than likely mean it'll be finished. But when is anyones guess.

Muckie wrote: »
    I worked on that job, drove one of the towercranes, there were different
    stories going around, but as far as i know Liam Carroll is in a legal dispute
    over a right of way with one of the lands neighbours aswell as he's other problems!.

The build cost €40million before it was stopped.
    State of the art Geo-thermal heatin pipes are in the floor.

NAMA will more than likely mean it'll be finished. But when is anyones guess.

The High Court ruled that the planning permission was illegally granted and the dispute was following an objection and court case taken by Sean Dunne who owns the neighbouring land. ABP has made clear that it wants to give the go-ahead to the building if the access issues to Dunne's site are resolved. They will be I suspect.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/jul/04/receivers-at-docklands-office-building-press-for-g/?q=Neil%20Callanan

The receivers behind the skeleton office block that was earmarked for Anglo Irish Bank at Dublin's North Wall Quay have urged An Bord Pleanála "to grant permission for the proposed development at the earliest opportunity". AIB and Anglo Irish Bank appointed receivers to North Quay Investments, the Liam Carroll company behind the development, last year.

This was the scale of the unreality at Anglo:
    Anglo asked Carroll for more space for bank HQ
    Only six weeks after so-called St Patrick's Day massacre, Anglo building developer sought two extra floors

Six weeks after the St Patrick's Day massacre in 2008 that sent Anglo Irish Bank's stock down 15%, developer Liam Carroll's North Quay Investments told the Dublin Docklands Development Authority that the bank wanted even more space for its new headquarters building on the north docks.

The bank had blamed "false and misleading" rumours about its financial strength for the share price fall but it appears to have been deluding itself, even if the share price had already regained the losses by the time Carroll, his son Conor and his lieutenant, David Torpey, met the DDDA at its headquarters on 30 April to inform the authority of the bank's request for additional space.

The share price increase was a false dawn. The bank seems to have had no idea of what was coming, as it had told Carroll it was seeking an additional 40,000 square feet on top of the headquarters building – the equivalent of two additional floors over the entire building – which it was funding. If the extra two floors had been occupied it would have cost about €2m a year to rent just that portion of the building from Carroll, according to a senior industry source, which the state would now be on the hook for.
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/j...20headquarters

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

So, eventually I get around to taking a shot from the roof of the Anglo HQ from the roof of Phantom.

anglohq.jpg

Basically Im looking down the quays towards the Beckett bridge. You can see how much lower the building goes below street level (2 storeys) and the massive trench that was dug to accomodate it. The building that is there really only covers about 1/5 of the whole site which extends right back to the Luas and over to Castleforbes Road where theres a huge lake! Recently the loose bits were removed and a lot of the crap from the site was taken away.

Cheers,
    Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

I remeber as a kid driving by there alot and it was brooks thomas. think they were builders suplliers or selling steel. my dads uncle used to go there for his metal supplies. The site looks huge when you drive up new wapping street off the quays and can see through the gate. Sean Fitz should be made do a base jump off the top with a parachute packed by a 1 armed blind man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Spaniola

deffo think it should be left as is, a reminder of how we got where we are, and a deterant not to return!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sorry for resurrection but its 5 years on and times are arguably good again.

What is current state of play for this building? I see it is still standing as it was in the pictures. Has anything changed (legally, owners etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

What is current state of play for this building? I see it is still standing as it was in the pictures. Has anything changed (legally, owners etc)?

The Central Bank is to move there from it's current Dame St HQ.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/a-sneak-preview-of-the-central-bank-s-new-140-million-hq-1.1997060

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is part of the facade not visible at the bottom? Not sure if they've taken that down.

Anyway, work will start very soon if it hasn't started already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ben D Bus wrote: »

What will happen to the Dame Street monstrosity? Any chance, no matter how small, of that abuse of architecture being ripped down?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What will happen to the Dame Street monstrosity? Any chance, no matter how small, of that abuse of architecture being ripped down?

Last I heard, it was being sold. I don't think they've picked a buyer yet.

Not sure what the new owners will do with it but they'll have to spend a fair amount of money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Will end up a hotel. It has 360 panoramic views and is ideally located.

Advertisement