Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE K801 Locomotive

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for as much information and pictures as possible on CIE K801 (as below)

what I have:
    05216f12a4c8d6457a3b45928f69ba0fbf5728da.jpg
    K801

Info and Model

and of course Wikipedia

There's also a photo around somewhere of it torn open, operating as a car crusher but that's past its glory days :(

Anybody help out with more pics or links, I also know it is based on the DB V65. I have a roco v65 on the way that I want to convert so pics from as many angles as possible is the aim here :)

EDIT: I've spent a good while searching google but it's not an eassy subject to find...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Another one that should have been preserved - the Great Northern Railway's only diesel locomotive I think? I remember Mak in its latter years lying beside the Dublin/Galway line at Oranmore. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

previo3.jpg
    This pic courtesy of the Irish Traction Group shows this 0-8-0 MAK diesel hydraulic locomotive which I remember parked up permanently in Inchicore at the end of the sixties. Originally bought by the GNR, it was in service around 1956 on the Northern line. I also remember it making an awful racket noise-wise, when in service and I don't think it was used for very long by the GNR, for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Very German looking, manufactured by Maschinenbau Kiel AG and over 100 of them built. I would be very surprised if they are totally extinct as other countries tend to appreciate their railway heratige.

313nd6o.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maschinenbau_Kiel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Another one that should have been preserved - the Great Northern Railway's only diesel locomotive I think? I remember Mak in its latter years lying beside the Dublin/Galway line at Oranmore. :(

Working the car crusher at the Galways Scrap Metal Co.
    This pic courtesy of the Irish Traction Group shows this 0-8-0 MAK diesel hydraulic locomotive which I remember parked up permanently in Inchicore at the end of the sixties. Originally bought by the GNR, it was in service around 1956 on the Northern line. I also remember it making an awful racket noise-wise and I don't think it was used for very long by the GNR, for whatever reason.

I have a larger version of that photo linked above. Served in Cork too and one of the suburban lines for a while. £29,500 was paid for it :)
    Seemingly it ran a bit while painted green but spent most of its black painted days rotting in Inchicore

This pic courtesy of the Irish Traction Group shows this 0-8-0 MAK diesel hydraulic locomotive which I remember parked up permanently in Inchicore at the end of the sixties. Originally bought by the GNR, it was in service around 1956 on the Northern line. I also remember it making an awful racket noise-wise, when in service and I don't think it was used for very long by the GNR, for whatever reason.

I seem to remember reading that CIE tried it out everywhere even including the Youghal branch!!

• Advertisement

Very German looking, manufactured by Maschinenbau Kie and over 100 of them built. I would be very surprised if they are totally extinct as other countries tend to appreciate their railway heratige.

Indeed Germany and Turkey definitly ran them. There is at least one preserved in Germany.

Class inventory and operators

EDIT: where'd that photo come from, its got the same frontal grill as 801, different to most which were horizontal, not vertical. the URL not really useful to trace
    EDIT 2: found it, it's a 600 rather than an 800. Think only difference is power, maybe a few consmetic differences too

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Here it is after its disposal by CIE:

http://cieirishrail1975-2006.fotopic.net/p52316302.html

:eek:

Sad end for any machine, isn't it.

I bet the scrap company paid a lot for it too! I was in Bord na Mona (Oweninny) years ago and saw the actual records showing the details of the purchase of the almost new West Clare railcars from CIE in 1961 (ish) for a paltry 25 pounds each. I know they were both semi-state companies but guess on whose account the monumental write-down showed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hungerford wrote: »
    Here it is after its disposal by CIE:

http://cieirishrail1975-2006.fotopic.net/p52316302.html

:eek:
    Same faith as a most of their other stuff

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I'll say this much and some will agree while others will just see it as an attempt to yet again bash enthusiasts. (which its not) But the correlation of attitudes towards operating railways and preservation by enthusiasts is littered with the same disconcerting approach to things that inevitably leads to failure across the board.

This is my opinion;

Preservation has to be approached as a business if its to succeed. Any other method will fail and we have lots of examples. A business approach may displease enthusiasts, but ultimately it will be successful. Bare in mind that Im talking about a national rail/transport museum type set up.

If it was done, Ive no doubt internet forums would be filled with criticism, but the ordinary joe soap would visit along with tourists. As I said in another thread, enthusiasts need to start thinking outside of their safety zone if locos like this ever stand a chance of preservation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I'll say this much and some will agree while others will just see it as an attempt to yet again bash enthusiasts. (which its not) But the correlation of attitudes towards operating railways and preservation by enthusiasts is littered with the same disconcerting approach to things that inevitably leads to failure across the board.

This is my opinion;

Preservation has to be approached as a business if its to succeed. Any other method will fail and we have lots of examples. A business approach may displease enthusiasts, but ultimately it will be successful. Bare in mind that Im talking about a national rail/transport museum type set up.

If it was done, Ive no doubt internet forums would be filled with criticism, but the ordinary joe soap would visit along with tourists. As I said in another thread, enthusiasts need to start thinking outside of their safety zone if locos like this ever stand a chance of preservation in Ireland.

I agree with you. The ordinary joe soap is probably essential to any scheme's success. Look at how Downpatrick and RPSI thrive by catering for the general market rather than a core enthusiast one. To be honest I can't imagine there is enough enthusiasts in the country to sustain such a venture alone anyway.

@ DWCommuter & Transportuser09

with the greatest respect, that is a discussion for another thread. I am merely looking for photos of 801 for research.

(the loco should have gone to the national transport museum (that we don't have) but thats a whole other debate too.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

@ DWCommuter & Transportuser09

with the greatest respect, that is a discussion for another thread. I am merely looking for photos of 801 for research.

(the loco should have gone to the national transport museum (that we don't have) but thats a whole other debate too.)

Fair enough, but had it been preserved photos would be easier to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

Its a sad photo at Galway Metals. One thing I notice is that it's on a section of rail, did they have a short section of line at the scrapyard and ultimately K801 drove itself to its final resting place or was it just craned onto the section of rail and left there?

I found another one I had lying on the PC. Not sure where it came from but it certainly ain't mine.

118994.jpg

Karsini wrote: »
    I found another one I had lying on the PC. Not sure where it came from but it certainly ain't mine.

I've found that one on here http://website.lineone.net/~sjohnson40/Loco%20Profiles/KClass.html, from Colour Rail originally...

Advertisement