Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 25A: Chicken Lasagne

Options
  • 21-06-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Chicken Lasagne

3 large skinless chicken breasts
    ½ onion roughly chopped
    1 carrot
    1 celery stick
    1 bay leaf
    Salt & pepper
    235 g baby spinach (or defrosted frozen)
    25 g butter
    250 pot ricotta/cottage cheese/ soft cheese
    145g Basil pesto
    300g lasagna sheets
    Tomato sauce
    125 g mozzarella
    25 g parmesan
    Poach the chicken with the onion, carrot celery, bay leaf for about 20 mins until cooked through. Cool and chop into small chunks.
    Melt butter in a large pot, add spinach and cover until spinach wilts. Allow to cool. Squeeze out excess water and chop roughly. (or defrost a few chunks of frozen spinach!)
    Mix the ricotta & pesto, if you are using cottage cheese use a processor to reduce to a paste. Mix this into spinach.
    Layer:
    Half the chicken
    Half the ricotta mix
    Lasagne sheets
    Half the tomato sauce
    Half the cheese
    Repeat
    Sprinkle with parmesan.
    Bake at 200 for about 30 minutes.

This tastes even better if made the day before :)

Quick Tomato sauce

3 cloves garlic, grated
    2 onions finely chopped
    1 tblsp basil leaves
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 400g tins of tomatoes
    Salt & pepper
    1 tsp sugar
    Splash Balsamic vinegar.

Heat the oil and cook onion until soft.
    Add garlic & cook for a couple of more minutes
    Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and salt & pepper.
    Cook over a medium to high heat for about 25 minutes until reduced to thick, stir occasionally.
    Add the basil.

Multi purpose really but great for the lasagne above

Pesto
    • 50g basil
    • 30g pine nuts
    • 30 grated parmesan
    • 1 clove of garlic
    • 85 ml olive oil
    Whizz first 4 ingredients; gradually add oil until well mixed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I made this tonight!

Here it is just before going into the oven:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6757

And here it is straight out of the oven:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6758
    Hennybug wrote: »
    This tastes even better if made the day before

I guess if you were to leave to cool overnight you would get nice neater slices, too!

Lovely recipe, Hennybug! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Cooked this today, very flavoursome.
    thanks Hennybug

2gtwy8x.jpg
    2r5e34m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Glad you both enjoyed it and the pics certainly help :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I hadn't really a clue what to expect with this as I've never tried a chicken lasagne before. I was a little worried that some of the flavours such as the pesto would smother everything else. Not so, it was delicious! Cheers OP, I think I'd take this over beef lasagne any day of the week. :) I think I'd add a bit more carrot and celery. Was a little short on the spinach/pesto and tomato sauce, but just about cover everything.

chickenlasagne.jpg

chickenlasagne2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I made this with a couple of modifications: I made a bechamel sauce to replace most of the the cheese since my gf isn't mad on it. I'd no mozzarella but some mascarpone so put a few dollops of that through the layers. I did add the parmesan to the top though.

Here it is ready to go in:

v512F.jpg

and here it is out:

vAr8W.jpg

It was *really* good. Easily as nice as any beef lasagne. I'll be making this again but will do a couple of things differently, like: my pesto was a bit too garlicy. I love garlic but this was the heavy, stinking type and it would have been much nicer with young, sweet light garlic here (still, not bad for a 1st go at pesto!) and I'd use a bit less of it too. The other thing was the mascarpone was a mistake. It was too rich and creamy.

Overall, the dish was just a bit too rich (although maybe if I'd taken a sliver of it instead of a slab I'd have enjoyed it more :D)

This was a really good recipe - looking forward to making it again.

Thanks Hennybug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The whole family really enjoyed this dish and it's yet another dish that will grace our oven again. Thanks Hennybug

DSC_2384.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I must get around to making it,it looks absolutely unreal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I assume I could freeze portions of this, yeah?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Certainly. It might dry out a little but it would freeze fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Made this the other night and found it spectacular! Thanks for the fantastic recipe, will be making this again sometime soon

• Advertisement

I just bought all the ingredients for this. Very, very excited about it now!

Mmmm, that was delicious!

40104_706961302331_61007445_42210160_8174268_n.jpg

40402_706961277381_61007445_42210157_3584953_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I'm going to make this tomorro i think, i'm going to have a big cook up day and do lots of dishes for freezing, the pics of it look smashing

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I Cooked this on Friday and it was really tasty, loads of flavour and very simple to do. I should have got about 6 portions our of the amount i made but the other half demolished most of it so only 2 small portions made it as far as the freezer. delighted with this recipe now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

:D That's basically my face now, just after eating some of this lovely dish.
    I usually just do a lot of lurking here but had to post to say thank you that was scrumptous.

Only one issue which is I am very stuffed now so gonna have to do nothing for the next few hours :P I had a quarter and for me that was a nice large portion, looking forward to eating the rest as live by myself so its all for me, 4 tasty meals. Will definitely be making this again, Thanks Hennybug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had this lovely lasagne for lunch today, along with a roasted tomato and chorizo salad!

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=7549

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Just to clarify, what do you do with the mozzarella? Put it on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

This looks gorgeous, I'm not keen on spinach though...is there anything I can substitute for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

I tried this last weekend it was yummy, my kids loved it. Thanks for sharing Hennybug :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I used this recipe tonight for my first ever lasagne.

Fantastic. This will be made again many times. My dish was a bit too shallow for all the ingredients so I left out the carrot and ended up eating it boiled while the lasagne baked. Will add a pic tomorrow.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I made this today for the first time and it went down a treat. Thanks for the recipe.Looking forward to having it again tomorrow evening. I actually think it is nicer than beef lasagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ilovetorun wrote: »
    This looks gorgeous, I'm not keen on spinach though...is there anything I can substitute for it?

The local market here does a similar lasagne using chicken and broccolli, and it's lovely, so you could try that...

Thats a really good idea, thanks for that:)

I made this again last night, really delicious! Nice change from beef lasagne

Advertisement