Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rent-A-Lift

Options
  • 21-06-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I saw on Fifth Gear where they did a segment on a kind of DIY.

It's a big garage with 10-12 proper car lifts. You rent a lift for an hour or so if you are inclined to do a lot of work on your car yourself.

Also you can bring your own tools or rent them from the counter.

Good idea? Would it catch on in Ireland or would we have a load more cars for scrappage??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I imagine insurance (rates) would kill it over here, like a lot of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

As much as id love access to a full garage there is nothing like that here.

My mechanic was terrified id break my neck when we last did my clutch. Said i was the only person he let in the garage in ten years. My response of if i was stupid enough to hurt myself its my own fault did not reassure him. :D

Insurance and the risk of someone doing something stupid like playing catch the gearbox or worse dropping a car on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

like playing catch the gearbox
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..it's done in Germany, a friend of mine maintains his old car that way.

Mind you, that's a country where you're not allowed to wash your own car...........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..it's done in Germany, a friend of mine maintains his old car that way.

Mind you, that's a country where you're not allowed to wash your own car...........:rolleyes:

Erra everyone washes their own car, only in the cities you might get a ticket ;)

Could you get the name of the crowd from him, were looking for something like that here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

There was someone on here before trying to gauge interest in such a service in Dublin, I think they were thinking of it as a new venture. I will see if I can find the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Can you keep us posted as a proper lift just saves a load of driveway nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Recently I saw on Fifth Gear where they did a segment on a kind of DIY.

It's a big garage with 10-12 proper car lifts. You rent a lift for an hour or so if you are inclined to do a lot of work on your car yourself.

Also you can bring your own tools or rent them from the counter.

Good idea? Would it catch on in Ireland or would we have a load more cars for scrappage??

I seen that episode actually. I think that would be a great idea but i dont think you would make money out of it here tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

SARASON wrote: »
    I seen that episode actually. I think that would be a great idea but i dont think you would make money out of it here tbh

It would take quite some time before they would make their money back let alone make a profit. This is true. However it could be done where they start off with 2/3 lifts and see how it goes.

If it doesn't go well, they could sell the lifts to other garages or something like that.

Dazzy - any luck finding that thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Dazzy wrote: »
    There was someone on here before trying to gauge interest in such a service in Dublin, I think they were thinking of it as a new venture. I will see if I can find the thread.

The only reference I can find is this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055877845

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think it was darragh who used to post regularily here that was thinking about the diy garage idea. He previous ran a garage I think. I know insurance was one of the big issues & the figures only really stack up a few lanes are working. Its not a runner for one lift.

Yeah, the running costs vs income would be poor.

Realistically, you can only really charge max €20/hr to keep the lifts busy (probably closer to €15)

The shop would need to be open 7 days, average 10hrs/day = 70/hrs week

With average 50% occupancy of 5 lanes = 7*10*50%*€20 x 5 lanes = €3500.

That 3500 when TAX/leasing equipment/ rent/electricity/rates/staff/INSURANCE/advertising/overheads are taken out, means you will probably clear €500-800 on a good week.

mullingar wrote: »
    Yeah, the running costs vs income would be poor.

Realistically, you can only really charge max €20/hr to keep the lifts busy (probably closer to €15)

The shop would need to be open 7 days, average 10hrs/day = 70/hrs week

With average 50% occupancy of 5 lanes = 7*10*50%*€20 x 5 lanes = €3500.

That 3500 when TAX/leasing equipment/ rent/electricity/rates/staff/INSURANCE/advertising/overheads are taken out, means you will probably clear €500-800 on a good week.

The ones in England are charging a LOT more than that per hour!! Thing is, the more you charge, the faster people will want to get the job done, the more they could rush it and not do it properly.

The UK rates are:

http://www.pitstartgarage.com/rates.html

All prices subject to VAT

With those prices it might be viable, but only if the location is right, and at the right price!

Edit,

This would actually be a good business IF a proper motor factors (not a halfords) was part the building

Yeah that's true. At least there'd be a bit more income coming in if the garage had a bad month or something like that. That's of course considering both are owned by the same company.

It's a good idea in theory. Don't know about in practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Dazzy wrote: »
    Is this the one you're thinking of?:
    A DIY Garage in Dublin...

It would take quite some time before they would make their money back let alone make a profit. This is true. However it could be done where they start off with 2/3 lifts and see how it goes.

If it doesn't go well, they could sell the lifts to other garages or something like that.

Dazzy - any luck finding that thread??

Here it is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055461603&highlight=darragh29

Rovi wrote: »
    Is this the one you're thinking of?:
    A DIY Garage in Dublin...

Yes, thats the one. Didn't see your post... I was searching!

Advertisement