Campsite Vendée with teenager minus hi de hi - Interlude? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-06-2010, 18:23   #1
Shellshocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Campsite Vendée with teenager minus hi de hi - Interlude?

Looking for a campsite in Vendee, perhaps Ile-de-Re, that would suit us and teenage son (aged 14) for travel in early July. Would consider other areas of France too.

We like quiet, nature, authentic, good food, eco, and being able to meet other like-minded people; he likes pools, waterslides, raucous atmosphere, larking about with other teenagers. We were considering Sunalia Interlude on Ile-de-Re - any input on this? (Know about Httopia but not sure we could get this past son.)

Or can anybody recommend somewhere that could be a compromise with the following:
-Smallish, laid back, friendly and charming
-Good pool, but not necessarily slides
-In nature
-English-speaking teenagers and adults in intimate enough setting to be able to connect up with them
-walking distance to bars, eateries or village would be really great!
Any help would be gratefully received!
Shellshocks
Shellshocks is offline  
Advertisement
15-06-2010, 20:17   #2
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,265
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
La Palymre as a town is perfect. I dont know about ECO but its along Cote Savage and surrounding by 1000's of acres of pine forests so lots of cycling, walking and other activities.

Im off there next week with the back on the back of the car. I spent my childhood there. Normally 4 weeks in the Vendee every Summer and most of the time we would spend at least 2 weeks in that town.

We always stayed in Campsites and if you want to be super Eco you can always opt for a Super Tent instead of a Mobile home.

We are staying in Bonne Anse Plage but have stayed in Les Charmettes and L'Estanquet.

After that we are heading up to Jard Sur Mer which is an even smaller and nicer Fishing Port with NOTHING TO DO.
Beer Baron is offline  
15-06-2010, 23:43   #3
Shellshocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Vendee sans hi-de-hi

Berty, you're awesome - will check out all of these...
Thanks so very much.
Young people these days, they don't know what boredom is, etc. etc!!!
Shellshocks is offline  
16-06-2010, 08:20   #4
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,265
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellshocks View Post
Berty, you're awesome - will check out all of these...
Thanks so very much.
Young people these days, they don't know what boredom is, etc. etc!!!
To be fair when I was over there as a child and teenager there was always lots to do as opposed to here. Even in the 80's they had bike rental, waterslides, crazy golf, La Palmyre has a world famous Zoo and the waves of the Atlantic make it fun for boogie boarding which you can pick up in the local Carrefour / Auchan etc for half nothing.

Also if you travel a little down the La Palymre beach its a nudist beach. He'd love that.
Beer Baron is offline  
16-06-2010, 10:09   #5
hargo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 316
Bonne Anse mentioned by Berty is a great site with plenty of facilities but defo no hi di hi. I've been to plenty of sites but it would be my favorite. Its the sort of site that people go back to year on year. Bon chance.
hargo is offline  
Advertisement
16-06-2010, 11:16   #6
Shellshocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Campsite Vendée with teenager

Thanks Hargo - was looking at that one - great to get personal recommendations - was also looking at Les Ecureuils at Jard-Sur-Mer, but I am deffo now sold on that general area now. The Interlude site on Ile-de-Ré is quite expensive (€1,100 got week in mobile!) so we may have to give up on that one - tant pis! But I am now keen on the area you all have talked about. Thanks to you both for taking to time to help...
Enjoy your own hols,,,
Shellshocks
Shellshocks is offline  
16-06-2010, 11:21   #7
Shellshocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
To be fair when I was over there as a child and teenager there was always lots to do as opposed to here. Even in the 80's they had bike rental, waterslides, crazy golf, La Palmyre has a world famous Zoo and the waves of the Atlantic make it fun for boogie boarding which you can pick up in the local Carrefour / Auchan etc for half nothing.

Also if you travel a little down the La Palymre beach its a nudist beach. He'd love that.
Awesome Berty, thanks very much! If I suggested the nudist beach to the lad he would look at me with absolute disgust, but I wouldn't be surprised if himself and his mate might not then wander in that direction by themselves accidently on purpose - so perhaps we parents may decide to keep the clothes on because that would really traumatise him for life to see us there and anyway over 40 it ain't so pretty...
Thanks so much for all your help - I am really hoping we can get to this area - sounds like fun, which is what you want...
Best,
Shellshocks
Shellshocks is offline  
16-06-2010, 17:52   #8
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,265
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Les Ecurelis.

We are staying there as well this year. 6 nights in Bonne Anse and 6 nights in Les Ecurelis.(sp)

I have been there, as a teenager, many many times a long time ago but I doubt it has changed enough. It is all covered over by pine trees and considerably smaller than ANY other campsite you may have looked at.

Im going to France on Wednesday so I will warm up the nudist beach.
Beer Baron is offline  
16-06-2010, 21:25   #9
Shellshocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Vendée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Les Ecurelis.

We are staying there as well this year. 6 nights in Bonne Anse and 6 nights in Les Ecurelis.(sp)

I have been there, as a teenager, many many times a long time ago but I doubt it has changed enough. It is all covered over by pine trees and considerably smaller than ANY other campsite you may have looked at.

Im going to France on Wednesday so I will warm up the nudist beach.
Bon voyage Berty, hope your holiday is merveilleux, fantastique and all that and you get the weather for the bit of southern exposure.
Best wishes,
Shellshocks
Shellshocks is offline  
Advertisement
19-06-2010, 18:16   #10
SACH Central
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dunnamaggin
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post

After that we are heading up to Jard Sur Mer which is an even smaller and nicer Fishing Port with NOTHING TO DO.
Sorry off topic but:

Berty, we're staying in Le Littoral in Talmont Saint-Hilaire, up the coast from Jard Sur Mer. After a few years of dodgy weather in Brittany we're heading south in the hope of some sun. What is that general area like? We have 3 young kids; 7, 6 & 4
SACH Central is offline  
20-06-2010, 16:29   #11
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,265
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Quote:
Originally Posted by SACH Central View Post
Sorry off topic but:

Berty, we're staying in Le Littoral in Talmont Saint-Hilaire, up the coast from Jard Sur Mer. After a few years of dodgy weather in Brittany we're heading south in the hope of some sun. What is that general area like? We have 3 young kids; 7, 6 & 4
Its been a number of years since I have been there so I cant really tell you 100% for at least 3 weeks when I come back from my trip.

The city of Les Sables Dolonne is a short drive away which has a really nice beach. Theres activities to do nearby but mostly we normally just lounged around and did nothing to be honest. Thats what Jard was alway for us, small campsite in a quiet village.

There is a motoring museum half way between you and Les Sables Dolonne.
Beer Baron is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet