Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land's End to John o' Groats (1500km) - 7 days

Options
  • 15-06-2010 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi - I hope I'm not being too cheeky here, I'm hoping the Boards cycling community would understand.

I'm looking to promote (and get some sponsorship for) my cycle from Land's End to John o' Groats (1500km) over 7 days from July 3rd to 10th in aid of St. Francis Hospice. The hospice look after people in the end stage of their lives and do so with great care. If you've had anyone there, you'll understand. This really is a great cause and I'm hoping my fellow cyclists would be prepared to throw a couple of quid toward it. All expenses are being covered by me, so all money raised will go straight to the hospice.

I have a poster (attached) and a link to a MyCharity web-page. This is for secure (and direct) transfer of money to the hospice fund and will take all the usual cards including Paypal.

I think I'm pretty well ready (6000+km so far this year in training and events) and have things set up but any extra tips you feel I should consider would be welcome too.

Go on - it's for a good cause!

Thanks folks.

Charity page link in my signature below:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

BUMP!
    OK, it's a couple of days before this epic (starts Saturday 3rd) and we've had a lot of adventures to this point that have certainly 'challenged' us but have also made us more determined to complete the journey.

This ‘End to End’ trip started off as an idea of my friend Brian from Portsmouth. We used to work together and do a lot of cycling and running events both sides of the water. Anyway, he turned 40 this year and as a kind of 'bucket list' he wanted to do some big challenges to mark the occasion. His first one was to run a marathon which he did a few months ago and said would be a 'unique' experience (i.e. 'never again!'). I did a couple when I was younger so didn’t feel compelled to join him, thankfully! The second one was to cycle from Land's End to John o' Groats – 1500k over 7 days. When we were discussing this in September it was all theoretical and fine - if maybe a bit difficult to get away for the week. In the end, what did it for me was that my Mam died in the Hospice in December and I was looking to do something that would raise some money for what is a fantastic cause, to say thanks for all their help. This trip was to be the answer.

So, the training began a bit earlier in the year than I would usually. I was out with the 'hardy' types (you know who you are) training in all the weather up on the hills with the Military Road half-blocked with snow and scary descents etc. I took part in a number of longer rides with Audax Ireland and various other events (some club racing) and now between training spins and events I have clocked over 7000k from January to June this year. This for me is about three times my annual training/ racing distance. It’s been fantastic, even when out on solo runs where I was less worried about the time and could stop occasionally and take in the beauty that was around me such as overlooking Lough Tay on a sunny day, while having a sandwich.

I was really enjoying the racing this year too (with Swords CC), though it’s fair to say I wasn’t worrying the faster lads, usually finishing ‘out the back’. Mind you, on one occasion I burst through to claim 6th after a near fall occurred beside me in a bunch sprint. I’d been so chuffed to finish with the bunch then to place on top of it, I couldn’t stop grinning. I’m usually dropped and have been the ‘Lantern Rouge’ at least once. In a bike shop the next day (the owner and one of the lads were also in the race), it was pointed out to me that of the last five races someone had come a cropper and broken something in four! I realised then that with the big journey coming up, I’d need to avoid risks so took a break from racing – ah well. I returned to concentrating on the long distance training and events up to 300k. Most of the rest of the group of 6 did the same but my friend (the leader and whose original idea it was) came a cropper in a track race two weeks ago and unfortunately broke his collarbone – out for 3 months!

This was the first challenge (well after getting fit, time off work, permit for time away from family, money etc.) but the next challenge was that his father-in-law (who was going to be the support driver in car) dropped out when he dropped out. Now we were down our friend and our support. My friend said to carry on anyway – that’s what he’d do. The driver problem was resolved when one of the lad’s brother volunteered – so we were back on. The training continued. I mentioned earlier that I’d done roughly 3 years worth of cycling this year already, well, that means that the bike bits have been used a lot and began to wear out. I now have new tyres, tubes, cables, headset, handlebars and cannibalised bits from my other bike like wheels, shifter, pedals, etc. My frame and saddle are the original! The next challenge occurred yesterday (Tuesday 29th) when the insurance co. who had been prepared to extend cover to our replacement driver, withdrew it. Today’s challenge is to find/ hire another vehicle suitably insured and capable of carrying bikes (for the support up and return trip down from Scotland).

We are ready to go and will do anything to avoid cancellation at this stage, all we need is a small change in our luck………..Oh and for my bike to be ready (it’s in the bike shop where they are trying to fix my slipping top gear!).

Did I mention this is for a really good cause, raising funds for those that look after people (and their families) who are in the end stage of their lives? Would anyone like to help by donating? The link below brings you to secure and direct payment screen and the money goes directly to the hospice account, we don’t even see it. The 5 of us doing the trip are paying for everything ourselves and all money raised will be handed over to the cause.
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/aidan_creaners_event/

Thanks a lot. Oh and Lough Tay included for you.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Best of luck!!!!!!!!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Thanks and to you with yours - they're good causes. I think once you've been connected with one, you really appreciate what they do. I like the 'Ticker'!

A very BIG thanks to all my friends and cycling buddies who have supported me with this venture and especially for all the generous donations, which as you know are going to the St. Francis Hospice, a really good cause.

I'm back now, safe and sound after 1493k and 11730m climbing over 7 days (shortest day was 202.8 and longest was 234.8k). This brought my total so far this year to over 8700k!

I've attached a short summary and a photo from each end, though I've hundreds of photos and bits of video to find a home.

Thanks again for everything, tips, good wishes, encouragement, company on long rides and of course the donations. Sorry no updates during the week - no internet access.

It was a fantastic though probably unique experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Well done, sir. Of course you say you're never doing anything like it again, but there is this ride in France next year....

Just curious - you were riding it as an audax? Was that considered 7 x 200k or how is it structured?

• Advertisement

Thanks man - coming from a hard audax man like you and all! Yes it was done as an Audax, they have three 'flavours' as detailed on the website at the link below:
    http://sites.google.com/site/randonneuruk/
    You'll see that the options are a kind of typical audax (max 117 hrs), 7 x 200 (max 10 days) and a tourist version (max 18 days) and there is a commemorative End 2 End medal specifically for it. We went for the 7 day version which was quite hard enough for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Inspiring stuff Aidan.
    Must arrange some multi day hardship on a bike for myself this september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cadex wrote: »
    A very BIG thanks to all my friends and cycling buddies who have supported me with this venture and especially for all the generous donations, which as you know are going to the St. Francis Hospice, a really good cause.

Fair play. How long are you keeping donations open for? I would like to donate something but it would need to wait until next payday. :)

Thanks man - any donation would be most welcome. The donation page is open until the end of September as it happens. I'd like to get at least most of it to them in the near future. I'm thinking of having a get together of some sort for the various supporters. Thanks.

Photos fromthe trip are up here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/102633860226158971688

Update report attached.

A really big thank you to all my friends and supporters from fellow cyclists, workmates, neighbours etc. Between the cycle trip that I did and my son's soccer blitz, together with a church gate collection, we raised over €7000 for the hospice which we handed over yesterday. There is still some money coming in which we will bring up to them at the end of August. They were delighted as their costs are in the region of 250,000 a month...

• Advertisement
Advertisement