Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle McCallan MBE - see mod warning in post 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

'Cept an MBE. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

'Cept an MBE. ;)

Why?

or an OBE then as well. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

or an OBE then as well. :rolleyes:

My question still stands...

This is no ordinary award, my argument would be in it's name itself, Member of the British Empire.

It's IMO an imperialist dinosaur award from the 19th century.
    The only argument I would see why he is happy at accepting it is because I assume he is a Protestant as Carrickfergus is very much a Protestant town.

It would've been very interesting to see if a Catholic Northern Ireland former football player such as Neil Lennon would've accepted it, I seriously doubt it and let's be straight here these awards are sounded out b4 hand to make sure that the recipient will accept one.

Now I know this is not the political forum but your 1st post left the door open. ;)

• Advertisement

This is no ordinary award, my argument would be in it's name itself, Member of the British Empire.

As with everything on this site, that's your opinion. Other peoples' opinions may vary. I make no comment on this aspect.
    The only argument I would see why he is happy at accepting it is because I assume he is a Protestant as Carrickfergus is very much a Protestant town.

It would've been very interesting to see if a Catholic Northern Ireland former football player such as Neil Lennon would've accepted it, I seriously doubt it and let's be straight here these awards are sounded out b4 hand to make sure that the recipient will accept one.

Now I know this is not the political forum but your 1st post left the door open. ;)

Religion's got nothing to do with it. Who the player plays for or against is also irrelevant. As you say, these are sounded out beforehand, so it's up to the recipient to decide if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The queen of his country has awarded him for his achievements during his career; why shouldnt he be proud of it? Just because you have some hangup about the queen doesnt make it any less of an honor. Im born and bred in the ROI, but Id still be honored if I was awarded an OBE, the same as I would be if it was the emporer of Japan or that strange little chap in Korea wishing to honor me.

djimi wrote: »
    The queen of his country has awarded him for his achievements during his career

Two things..

1) It's not his country it's occupied.
    2) Would Neil Lennon accept an MBE?

This thread is on thin ice - it's getting less relevant to the cricket forum. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Warmest congrats to Kyle. It's a great honour for him and recognition for his great dedication to the Irish team.

Any Irishman should be proud of such an honour. Stage how Irish people never object to Irish people accepting the Legion d'Honneur or Knights of Columbanus, or even Nobel Prize!

• Advertisement

Right folks, this thread has been re-opened, but before anyone posts again I want them to consider the following:

* It must remain on-topic
    * The rule of attack the post, not the poster, remains and will be strictly enforced.
    * Any further religious or political comments are off-topic and will be deleted on sight.

Please remember all this - bans will be handed out if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Kyle is a really nice guy, always had a word or time for any fans wanting a chat and this award is well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian_D

Well deserved and a great honour for Kyle. Kyle has been a great servant to irish cricket and is a great lad. Hopefully he will come out of retirement for the world cup in India next year as he is in the form of his life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Brian_D wrote: »
    Kyle has been a great servant to irish cricket and is a great lad. Hopefully he will come out of retirement for the world cup in India next year as he is in the form of his life

+1. I will keep my opinion on the other stuff to myself but he's been a great servant for Irish cricket and thats all I care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

well done Kyle! great to see him being honoured and noticecd outside of Ireland. Great to see all irish players honoured.

Advertisement