Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interval session on garmin 405

Options
  • 08-06-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone could enlighten me on how to import an interval session to the 405. I'm following a plan on runireland by seb locteau;
    so an example session might be the following
    W-up 3km easy
    6X200m in 47secs Recovering 200m easy (simulate pace 3.55)
    4X400 in 1min35 Recovering 400m easy (simulate pace 3.57)
    C-down : 3km easy
    (Target over all pace 3min59)

usually i set up the first interval session, finish it and then reset the watch and set up the next interval session.
    is there a easier way to import the complete session and just "obey" the watch?
    thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, you can create a complete session.
    Firstly, you need Garmin Training Centre to create advanced workouts, if you don't have it already.

Once you have it installed, go to the [Workouts tab].
    Expand the tree in the left pane, and create a folder for your advanced running workouts if you want to. Otherwise choose one of the existing folders, right click on the folder and select [New Workout] from the context menu.

Create all the necessary activities you like, adding new Steps with the '+' button, and new 'repeat steps' with the '++' button. when you're done fiddling (it takes a while to get used to it, but works really well) then click [Ok].

To transfer it to your watch, from the [File] menu select [Send to Device]. Make sure you are running your ANT+ agent.

Tips:
    Between warming up and my intervals, I generally include an open-ended activity called stretching. It allows you to move to the right location to start your intervals (or stretch!) and kick them off by hitting the lap button.
    Make sure the recovery time between intervals is in the form HH:MM:SS. I made the mistake of giving myself an hour and fifteen minutes between intervals before. :)

Any problems, post them here.

Also, I tend not to set speed-zones / HR-zones for advanced workouts, preferring to just establish my pace by looking at the watch. I find the functionality for speed/pace/HR zones quite flakey. So I don't set a target for the particular step at all. It'll be more difficult to get 200m intervals right, but I guess you'll get used to it. What event are you training for?

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

jfh wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone could enlighten me on how to import an interval session to the 405. I'm following a plan on runireland by seb locteau;
    so an example session might be the following
    W-up 3km easy
    6X200m in 47secs Recovering 200m easy (simulate pace 3.55)
    4X400 in 1min35 Recovering 400m easy (simulate pace 3.57)
    C-down : 3km easy
    (Target over all pace 3min59)

usually i set up the first interval session, finish it and then reset the watch and set up the next interval session.
    is there a easier way to import the complete session and just "obey" the watch?
    thanks for any help

Can you set this up on the 310xt also??

dare2be wrote: »
    Can you set this up on the 310xt also??
    Is that question for me, JHB or the ManU fan? :)
    Garmin added support in Training Centre for the 310xt some time ago and a quick search in the user manual for the word 'advanced' does find one reference in the appendix, but it points to 'custom' workouts, which seems to mirror the exact same functionality as you would get in Training Centre. So I would suggest giving it a try. It does look like you can create these directly on the watch though (which you can't do on the 405).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Is that question for me, JHB or the ManU fan? :)
    Garmin added support in Training Centre for the 310xt some time ago and a quick search in the user manual for the word 'advanced' does find one reference in the appendix, but it points to 'custom' workouts, which seems to mirror the exact same functionality as you would get in Training Centre. So I would suggest giving it a try. It does look like you can create these directly on the watch though (which you can't do on the 405).

Thanks Krusty. Only got mine 2 weeks ago in the States and still playing about with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks Krusty for your thorough reply, that question was aimed at you!

i use the garmin connect alright, when i tried to install the training centre, ran into problems. i'll try your suggestions when i get home later.
    so just to confirm, you set a pace to complete the 200m in(2.55 min KM), rather than doing it in a set time(47 sec).

i'm training for the clare 10km, came across that training plan on run ireland.
    i'll be doing those sessions on my own so was hoping to make full use of the 405. You find it useful for interval sessions?

i use the garmin connect alright, when i tried to install the training centre, ran into problems. i'll try your suggestions when i get home later.
    so just to confirm, you set a pace to complete the 200m in(2.55 min KM), rather than doing it in a set time(47 sec).

i'm training for the clare 10km, came across that training plan on run ireland.
    i'll be doing those sessions on my own so was hoping to make full use of the 405. You find it useful for interval sessions?
    Training Centre should be a very straightforward install. It's just a standard windows application. You don't have to use it to save a copy of your run (though I do, as I think it's good to have a non-Garmin Connect backup copy).

To answer your question, I do neither. I don't set a pace or a time.

A typical interval workout might look like the following for me:
    1. Warm-up - Stop when i complete 2.5 miles.
    2. Stretching - Stop when I press the lap button
    3. Repeat the following 10 times:
    a) 400m - no target
    b) Recovery / easy jog - Stop after 75 seconds
    4. Warm-down - Stop when I press the lap button

For (3a) I will know beforehand what pace I am targeting (e.g. 5:15/mile) so I will occasionally glance at the watch during the interval to make sure that I am on track, and either speed up or slow-down. The reason I don't use the Speed-zones functionality is that I don't find it useful/flexible. You have to associate hard-coded speeds for each speed-zone beforehand, and then the watch will beep to let you know if you are in the right zone. I find it simpler to just look at my average pace on the watch during the interval. It's a lot less fidgety, and you can make minor alterations on the day depending on how you feel (and no annoying beeping!).

I don't have a convenient track (or a convenient job that lets me get to the track) so I would find it very difficult to do intervals without the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

thanks krusty, was blissfully unaware of the whole training center, up until 10 mins ago, expecting massive improvements!!

thanks krusty, was blissfully unaware of the whole training center, up until 10 mins ago, expecting massive improvements!!
    Just installing the software will typically give you about a 7.8% increase in pace over the marathon distance (although it's only a 5.2% boost if your watch is one of the green ones.). :)

It's not really a great piece of software, but is handy for creating advanced workouts. Sportstracks is actually a lot better, but I don't believe you can use it to create the advanced workouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Just installing the software will typically give you about a 7.8% increase in pace over the marathon distance (although it's only a 5.2% boost if your watch is one of the green ones.). :)

What about those of us who only have those old wrist laptops aka 305s?
    (and no smart remarks about the large font being easier for old folk to read....)

11.6% boost in pace, due to the additional weight training. However, may lead to suspicious uneven arm musculature, typically associated with self-service relief of muscle cramps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

11.6% boost in pace, due to the additional weight training. However, may lead to suspicious uneven arm musculature, typically associated with self-service relief of muscle cramps.

Tip: each rep must change arm to allow equal muscle development and also directional change to combat balance problems. After wearing that for a full marathon plan expect 5-10 min improvement regardless of the training:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Think I've figured out why I prefer anti clockwise circuits.:)

Advertisement