Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names that just don't go

Options
  • 05-06-2010 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have a cat called Alan. He is the only Alan on the vet's database of 10,000 animals. He also has a horse called Nigel.

While these are normal names for humans they just don't seem right for animals. Anyone else know of names that just don't work - animals or otherwise? Also, why don't these names work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Din Taylor wrote: »
    I have a cat called Alan. He is the only Alan on the vet's database of 10,000 animals. He also has a horse called Nigel.

Your cat has a horse called Nigel? That's downright weird. Why did he call him Nigel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

Your cat has a horse called Nigel? That's downright weird. Why did he call him Nigel?
    Alan is a very sophisticated cat.

Alan is a very sophisticated cat.

Alan, the sophisticat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Used have a dog named John. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I used to have a cat called Paul. He went missing there for a while and myself and a couple of lads were talking about it in a taxi without mentioning that Paul was infact a cat...

Paul's been missing for a while now hasn't he?
    Yeah, he's probably off riding or something, he'll come home when he's hungry.
    Yeah maybe, I hope some family hasn't got him locked in their house and he can't get home.

Needless to say the taxi driver was a bit perplexed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

While these are normal names for humans they just don't seem right for animals. Anyone else know of names that just don't work - animals or otherwise? Also, why don't these names work?
    Tbh Din is hardly what you would call a human name :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

hav for dogs in order from oldest its
    pepsi < misty < bonnie < and......Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I think I'll call my next cat 'K-Nine'...
    That'll cause some trouble in the vets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Any chance I could have a drag of what everyone else is smoking? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A guy I went to school with really wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and for some very odd reason he kept referring to my two dogs as betty and tony.

Their names were actually max and millie.

• Advertisement

Schism wrote: »
    I used to have a cat called Paul. He went missing there for a while and myself and a couple of lads were talking about it in a taxi without mentioning that Paul was infact a cat...

Paul's been missing for a while now hasn't he?
    Yeah, he's probably off riding or something, he'll come home when he's hungry.
    Yeah maybe, I hope some family hasn't got him locked in their house and he can't get home.

Needless to say the taxi driver was a bit perplexed!
    I do feel stupid when I do the "pssshwsssh" noise, you do for cats and call out "Alan", when I want him inside the house. My neighbours must think I'm a right weirdo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We used to have a puppy called puppy before. It was the only name that we picked that seemed to fit. Unfortunately, we had to give him away as the landlord found out about him.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Any chance I could have a drag of what everyone else is smoking? :)

I have a cat called Meow Meow. You can have a sniff of him if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Yeah, never heard Misty or Bonnie for a dog before... :rolleyes:

Sorry about the quality, can't find a better one.. Go to 1:04 in the vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

'Stabby the Hamster' as a name for a Dachshund...

When I was a kid, my mate had a dog called Prince. When it died, I asked him if he was gonna call it "The Dog Formerly Known as Prince"?

He wasn't amused.

Also had a mate whose snake killed itself by biting a big lump out of itself. I split myself when I heard that, "Your snake committed suicide?" I asked, "Did it curl itself to form the word, HELP, by any chance?"

He wasn't amused either.

Tbh Din is hardly what you would call a human name :pac:
    I never claimed to be human myself;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

My cousin has a dog called Noel,Noel had a little friend who was a terrier called Eamonn. Lately my aunt got a new dog and called him Stan.
    My dog is called Mimi and my friend has a dog called Bruno.

Tis funny when animals are called people names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Two kitties are Tom and Jerry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's only one name for a cat and that's chairman Meow. It gets' better the more people that use it because if all cats are named chairman meow and someone calls out for chairman meow they'll get overrun with cats. It's funny cause it's cats?

• Advertisement

Christy Browne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Had a Japanese Spitz named Chloe. Greatest dog ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I call my dog yellow fatty bean. Not to his face though.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

A buddy of mine has a Budgie called Ann-marie. As it turns out, Ann-marie is in fact a dude. So he has a ghey transvestite budgie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have cat called Tyson... he eats spiders and plays with roaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My friend had a cat named X after the X Files

Apparently he was the only cat named X around. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

A mate of mine used to have a cat called Um Boogie

oh the hours of fun we'd have when it used to get up on the table or kitchen side shouting "Get Down Um Boogie!"

ahhh halcyon days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

When mom was younger, she used to have two dogs, Ringo and Darky. Imagine shouting those names in the street now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My sister found a cat when she was a tiny tiny tiny kitten.
    We called her Missy.

Anyway when Missy grew from being a tiny tiny kitten she developed boy parts (think was so small when she was found was too small to say if girl or boy).
    So we changed her name to Mister.

Then Mister ran away.
    So we now call her/him Missing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

ScumLord wrote: »
    There's only one name for a cat and that's chairman Meow. It gets' better the more people that use it because if all cats are named chairman meow and someone calls out for chairman meow they'll get overrun with cats. It's funny cause it's cats?

Ha I used to have a cat called that,also past names were -
    Swifty,The Messiah,Lucifer,Sancho Paco,Ki ki,Mickey Jo Francis and Smirnoff,the cat I have now is just called cat.

My brother has two budgies called Johnson and Fernando..I think they're "life partners".

Advertisement