Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games: official soundtracks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Gta: 3 and Vice city are two of my favorites, loved Lazlow's stuff in them as well as the music.

Music in Fallout 3 really added to the atmosphere.

Agree a good soundtrack / score goes a long way in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

Silent hill 2 gets the nod for me

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Legend of Zelda Series.
    Metal Gear Series.
    ...and COD WAW had an awesome heavy metal Russian soundtrack :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a weakness for game soundtracks, I always think they're the best bonus a developer can add to a special edition (have gotten quite a few with games recently - Alan Wake, Yakuza 3, Espagulda 2). Some of them are just fantastic, with MGS series, Katamari, Final Fantasy games et al. obvious highlights.

I'm always jealous at the wide releases game soundtracks get in Japan (orchestral Phoenix Wright CDs :pac:). I love my Japanese We Love Katamari and Chrono Trigger (4 discs!) OSTs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I finished Panzer Dragoon Saga a few weeks ago and have been listening to the soundtrack since. It's phenomenal. Probably my favourite game soundtrack ever.

I listen to mostly older game soundtracks though. Chip based things. Absolutely love MUSHA and Mercs on the Megadrive.

Recently aquired the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack as I've been playing the game a lot lately. Deff worth listening to.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Recently aquired the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack as I've been playing the game a lot lately. Deff worth listening to.

I've found myself doing the whistley bits around the house over the last few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I only have a couple of game soundtracks, the Persona 4 one which came with the game and the soundtrack for SMT Strange Journey. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yes, the soundtrack for oblivion is well designed to help immerse you in the world - and good for warning you.
    You're walking along the roads/fields then... <fast battle music> ... and you frantically look around to see a mountain lion wanting to claw you in two.

I feel a lot of newer games don't put much effort into their music. It doesn't take much creativity to hammer away at a few low notes on a keyboard during the scary scenes and to play them faster and higher during a high action sequence.
    When you look at some of the older games in comparison, where the writers could do so much with limited quality, you begin to ask if music is thrown in as an afterthought in modern games.

I recently finished Aquaria (one of the games in the humble indie bundle) and WOW, the soundtrack is excellent. One of the best I've heard in any games in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Shatter's soundrack by Module is the best I've heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Has to be Final Fantasy VII

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree that panzer dragoon saga's soundtrack is one of the best collections of music ever. It's magnificient. One of the composers Saori Kobayashi was involved in the panzer dragoon orta soundtrack as well which is equally as good.

My absolute favourite videogame composer has to be Hitoshi Sakimoto. Every game he touches has a fantastic soundtrack. He's done some fantastic orchestrated soundtracks for the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and Valkyria Chronicles amoungst others.

He also does some fantastic electronica in the likes of Soukyugurentai and Gradius V and even made radiant silvergun fit an orchestrated soundtrack when the genre usually uses heavy electronic music.

I'm a big fan of the crazier stuff that Taitos in house band Zuntata did for the likes of the later Darius games which are equal parts surreal and awesome.

Also have a lot of admiration from Akira Yamaoka who does the Silent Hill soundtracks. I find it strange that he went from doing some absolutely appalling music for the Pro Evo and ISSD games before doing the amazing Silent Hill soundtracks. He also did some amazing heavy industrial rock and electronic music for Contra Shattered Soldier:

Of course nothing beats some chip tune music. You used to be able to tell what machine the game was on just by the sound of the music from it. My two 16 and 8 bit favourites would be Super Metroid and Megaman 2.

I much prefer an original soundtrack to something like the compilation soundtracks of the likes of the GTA games. It takes a lot more effort to write new original music than it does to put a collection of licensed tracks together.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

wipeout soundtracks... original one in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I've very often gone out of my way to buy soundtracks to games I just loved listening to. These include Final Fantasy VII, XI, X etc, Streets of Rage 2, Metal Gear Solid 1-4, Heavy Rain I thought was very good and atmospheric same with Silent Hill 2.

Love the Red Dead Redemption soundtrack...in particular the song that plays over the final credits. Within a week of hearing it, it has gone to the top of my most played with 188 plays :o

For those that haven't played and finished it, it sets the mood perfectly. Here it is:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Ed Harrison soundtrack for a mod called Neotokyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM6eZJRurFk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The ending music of Red Dead Redemption. One of the finest and most perfectly fitting pieces of music in any game ever, it makes the ending so much more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Final Fantasy X
    and San Andreas of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

rockstar seem to be the best for soundtracks, well known songs from the era etc...
    countless songs i would never know the words to only for san andreas, vice city etc....

not so much with gta 4 for some reason, alot of up to date songs, but songs in the other GTA games they had 10 years worth of songs to choose the best of.

Mousey- wrote: »
    rockstar seem to be the best for soundtracks, well known songs from the era etc...
    countless songs i would never know the words to only for san andreas, vice city etc....

not so much with gta 4 for some reason, alot of up to date songs, but songs in the other GTA games they had 10 years worth of songs to choose the best of.

I still have some of the stuff from GTA3 in my head, "rush rush yippie yay oh"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's from the scarface soundtrack. The 80's radio station in GTA 3 is just playing the scarface OST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

DarkJager wrote:
    The ending music of Red Dead Redemption. One of the finest and most perfectly fitting pieces of music in any game ever, it makes the ending so much more powerful.

That's pretty cool.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's from the scarface soundtrack. The 80's radio station in GTA 3 is just playing the scarface OST.

I know, this is why i loved it, fitted the game so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Im supprised nobody has mentioned the super mario galaxy OST yet :o Bully on wii/xbox360 also had a great soundtrack.

Advertisement