Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route for aircraft deliveries to European carriers

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone knows the route say, Ryanair's brand new 737's take from the factory in Washington to Dublin/their new base in Europe. I'd have thought they wouldnt have the range to cover the North Atlantic from the east coast of the US, or even Canada.
    Similar story for the smaller planes that Embraer makes in Brazil- how do they route from the factory to their new owners in Europe?

Just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Smaller aircraft route across the Atlantic through Gander in Newfoundland and then into Shannon to refuel if required, they would refuel in the US on the way from Brazil, I am not sure about Ryanair aircraft but as they would have no passengers or baggage they would be very light thus increasing their range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

although they perhaps do stop on the delivery flight, the 737-800 fully fuelled and with no passengers or baggage and all that duty-free will quite easily make the trip from Seattle. It's just a guess but on smaller aircraft like the Embraer they may make use of extra tanks to reduce the number of legs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭donkey balls

the b737 can do the USA-Europe with out having to stop over for fuel,the likes of C170& pa28 normally route over gander, Iceland then down into Europe with extra fuel tamks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Embraer aircraft usually ferry across the South Atlantic from Brazil to West Africa or the Canaries. I'm not sure of the "jumping-off point" in Brazil but Recife seems a likely candidate. As a rule, Boeings for customers in Western Europe make the delivery flight in one hop from Seattle, while those going further afield (e.g Eastern Europe or the Middle East typically stop in Eastern Canada (usually Gander or Goose Bay) before routeing onwards. The actual route is a matter of choice for the operator involved, e.g. a lot of the Air India Express 737s have passed through Birmingham, perhaps because it is an airport served by Air India.

Here is the route for the most recent Ryanair 737 delivery. Note that as a rule the aircraft climb to FL390 or 410 quite early in the lfight, for maximum fuel economy:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/RYR800K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

useless wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone knows the route say, Ryanair's brand new 737's take from the factory in Washington to Dublin/their new base in Europe. I'd have thought they wouldnt have the range to cover the North Atlantic from the east coast of the US, or even Canada.
    Similar story for the smaller planes that Embraer makes in Brazil- how do they route from the factory to their new owners in Europe?

Just curious!

No problem crossing the Atlantic.

The less fuel efficient will use Goose Bay or Gander and route near Keflavik if winds are not favourable.

Should make western Europe fairly easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

AFAIK the longest nonstop was Boeing Field-Prague with a Skyeurope B737.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

BA's Emb190's routed Sao Jose Dos Campos-Recife-Reina Sofia (GCTS)-Exeter whereas their 170's didn't have the legs and only made it to Amilcar Cabral (GVAC) after Recife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It must have been on fumes by the time it landed in Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

wonder where KLM stop the 737-800 for fuel from Seattle?

Or the Fokker route(lol)

Advertisement